No announcement yet.

1 month-old Lilliput GL-701 died. Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 month-old Lilliput GL-701 died. Help!

So I finished putting together my whole set up (Lilliput GL-701 flip-out 800x480 touchscreen monitor, 1.8 GHz core2 duo, M2-ATX power supply, 120GB hard drive, running Ubuntu 7.04 in a 2007 Subaru STi) a few weeks ago, and last weekend, I took a road trip to Skyline Drive, VA from Annapolis, MD. This was the longest consecutive time I had run my car since I put together my system. After 3 hours of straight driving, the monitor started twitching, i.e. the whole image would, for a split second, move 40 or 50 pixels. It did this for a couple of minutes, then the image started rolling, like an old TV that wasn't locked on a channel. After 30 seconds, the whole screen turned red, then a black spot appeared in the middle and ate its way to the outside, with white following it. Then the screen wouldn't respond to up/down adjustment buttons unless I hit the 'open/close' button. If I closed it and re-opened it, it would work for a few seconds as normal, then repeat all of the steps I mentioned before in rapid succession.

Also, if I changed inputs, the on screen display showing the input and menu would sometimes appear 90 degrees clockwise from where it is supposed to be.

It will now do this same behavior at random. It may be fine for two days, then it will misbehave for a day, like today.

Any ideas on my problem? The screen has never had any trauma, it is properly wired and grounded. Thanks,

-Rich

Make sure your connector in the back of the unit is secure. I had a simular problem with my Xenarc. It would be fine one instance, then go red on me. I actually had to use zip ties to secure it better because for what ever reason, just a little jarring would cause the connector in the back to move just enough to cause a washout. Actually Xenarc used a crappy connector...
    1995 Chevy Camaro
    2003 Dodge Ram 1500
    VIA EPIA M10000 Mini-ITX Motherboard
    Iguidance GPS
    Road Runner Frontend w/ DFX5.0.3
    Xenarc 700IDT with DVD CDR/RW

Comment

Originally posted by cdcamaro9534 View Post
      Make sure your connector in the back of the unit is secure. I had a simular problem with my Xenarc. It would be fine one instance, then go red on me. I actually had to use zip ties to secure it better because for what ever reason, just a little jarring would cause the connector in the back to move just enough to cause a washout. Actually Xenarc used a crappy connector...
      Hmmm......I took apart the dash today (twice actually), and made sure all connectors (VGA, which is a barrel-screw-over type connector, the harness-to-lilliput connector, and the subaru harness adapter)were tight, and all inline fuses were tight and functioning. Everything is soldered and taped where ever wires were cut. Wiggling connections had no effect on the problem.

And again, it worked for a while, then started twitching, then went black, white, then black again, and just went to a white screen with no internal OSD that faded to black after that, every time I would power it off and back on (though sometimes there were ghosts of chinese characters visible on the screen for a split second). It didn't matter if I had anything plugged into the head unit at all besides power and ground...it did the same thing.

I emailed the person I bought it from off of eBay last night describing the problem, and they have 99.9% positive feedback, so hopefully they'll work with me to get this thing unbricked once I hear back from them.

Thanks,

-Rich

Comment

What might happen is that the connector may got loose where it is soldered to monitor board. It may happen just from vibrations, and cracks are such small so you don't even notice them. It happened to me once, and then I had all the wires soldered directly to the board. No problem since.
        EPIA TC 1G 256MB 60GB Linux,WindowMaker, Roadnav, Xine, XMMS, iGuidance3
        Lilliput 8", Pharos i360, WUSB11v2.6 WiFi

Comment

Originally posted by dupa2 View Post
          What might happen is that the connector may got loose where it is soldered to monitor board. It may happen just from vibrations, and cracks are such small so you don't even notice them. It happened to me once, and then I had all the wires soldered directly to the board. No problem since.
          I'll take the screen out of the car tonight or tomorrow and hit the solder joints with an iron. Hopefully that will fix it. Thanks!

Comment

That is all I would see...notice the chinese or japanese characters.
            Here's a video I shot with my cell phone to give you the full effect:
            Dead Lilliput

Comment

Well I contacted Lilliput, and they got back to me, via e-mail, in 2 minutes. Yes, 2 minutes. They said they will take care of the service. That is the fastest customer service response time I have ever had from a manufacturer, even by telephone. Wow.

Comment

Dang thats nice, Xenarc won't even answer an email. Calls only for them.
                1995 Chevy Camaro
                2003 Dodge Ram 1500
                VIA EPIA M10000 Mini-ITX Motherboard
                Iguidance GPS
                Road Runner Frontend w/ DFX5.0.3
                Xenarc 700IDT with DVD CDR/RW

Comment

Originally posted by cdcamaro9534 View Post
                  Dang thats nice, Xenarc won't even answer an email. Calls only for them.
                  Lilliput contacted the vendor I bought it from (it took them 4 days to get back to me via e-mail), and they are handling the return. That is pretty good service from a manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspoons View Post
                    Hmmm......I took apart the dash today (twice actually), and made sure all connectors (VGA, which is a barrel-screw-over type connector, the harness-to-lilliput connector, and the subaru harness adapter)were tight, and all inline fuses were tight and functioning. Everything is soldered and taped where ever wires were cut. Wiggling connections had no effect on the problem.

And again, it worked for a while, then started twitching, then went black, white, then black again, and just went to a white screen with no internal OSD that faded to black after that, every time I would power it off and back on (though sometimes there were ghosts of chinese characters visible on the screen for a split second). It didn't matter if I had anything plugged into the head unit at all besides power and ground...it did the same thing.

I emailed the person I bought it from off of eBay last night describing the problem, and they have 99.9% positive feedback, so hopefully they'll work with me to get this thing unbricked once I hear back from them.

Thanks,

-Rich
                    what do you mean by subaru harness adapter? they sell a wire kit that helps install lcd's ?

Comment

Originally posted by Snortonnorton View Post
                      what do you mean by subaru harness adapter? they sell a wire kit that helps install lcd's ?
                      Nah, I meant the subaru harness adapter I bought separately that I soldered to the harness on my lilliput.

Comment

Working...
                      X