Any decent indash units?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any decent indash units?

I've had my truck pc up and running for a while now; almost a year. I'm currently using a TView 7" touchscreen, but I don't really have a good spot to permanently mount it, and every once in a while the screen will go white and I have to stop the truck, unplug the power, and plug it back in for the screen to work properly. As far as mounting options go, I've used a flexible gooseneck mount (gets in the way and might as well have a big "steal me" sign on it), and I've also used the screen's factory mount screwed to the transmission tunnel behind the shifter (way too low, have to take my eyes off the road too long). I had considered mounting the screen in the dash where the factory radio would go, but the steering wheel would partially block the screen and I'd have to lean over to clearly see, again taking my eyes off the road for too long. I have noticed however, that if the screen were a couple inches higher, I could see the screen a little better, and only the bottom left corner of the screen would be obstructed by the steering wheel, and I could just lean my head over a bit and see fine. This means a flipout screen in the top DIN slot should do what I need. My first instinct was to check out the Xenarc 700IDT. Specs and reviews look good, but it sticks half a mile out of the dash. No good. Next on the list was the Lilliput GL701-NP/C/T. Reviews are terrible. I've heard one or two people say the latest version has all the bugs worked out, but I'm very hesitant to drop 400 bills on something with such a lousy track record. I've heard a few decent reports on the DigitalWW DWW-7VGT and DWW-7VGA, but it appears that both models are now out of production. I did notice that DWW is selling the empty shells for the mechanical foldout monitors, and I can't help but wonder if the TView guts would fit inside. For a complete screen, I'd prefer an electric foldout mechanism, but the lack thereof wouldn't be a deal-breaker. I just don't want to end up spending my hard-earned cash on a piece of crap. If anyone has an indash screen that has served them well, please share your experiences with me.
    -Jay

1997 Chevy S-10, ext. cab
    CarPC Progress: 75% - Functional, but not quite finished.
    Check out my progress.

i'm glad you asked this question. I'm trying to decide what to get myself.

I built my computer but now just need to buy the screen and hook everything up permanently.

I really can't decide if a flip out is worth the extra money. but then again, I'm worried about fabricating a 620, 619, or 701 lilliput into the dash.

it's not the dash work getting the double din to fit for the lilliput that worries me,

it's actually taking apart the lilliput and putting stress on the ribbons that worries me.

guess I could get a warranty but then I would have to put the lilliput back together again before I make a claim on the warranty.

should I just buy that double din mount for lilliputs that one guy makes? but that's another 100 bucks, so you are only 50 bucks short of buying the flip out.

Comment

Those ribbon cables aren't that hard to work with once you get the hang of it. Just be gentle with the little plastic tabs and don't go trying to rip the thing apart and you'll be fine. I'd recommend ordering an empty housing for whichever monitor you decide on and fabbing it into your dash, that way if you have to send anything back under warranty, you can stick it back in the original case with the original serial numbers stamped on it. I do like that the flipout units are a little more "stealth" than a fabricated screen; some of them look like a cheap headunit when they're folded shut. Here's an item that really caught my interest lately: http://www.digitalww.com/store/prodd...prod=IH002%5F1 I'm really wondering now if I can fit my TView monitor inside that housing. The front panel buttons all do the same functions, but it looks like an exact mirror image, like they just turned the PCB 180 degrees. I wonder if that'll be the answer to my installation problems...
      -Jay

1997 Chevy S-10, ext. cab
      CarPC Progress: 75% - Functional, but not quite finished.
      Check out my progress.

Comment

Working...
      X