Monitor Problem (fuzzy screen)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor Problem (fuzzy screen)

Ok...now I'm feelin' really dumb. I keep hearing those infamous word "If it's not broken, don't fix it".

I have been using my CarPC for a good while now and things were going great. I have the Lilli EBY701 TouchScreen, but found that I NEVER use the touch feature (I have a wireless mouse that works much better). So, in an effort to get better brightness and crisper image, I took the touch panel off. I took off the glass, the plastic-like layer that rests on top of the glass, and disconnected the ribbon that was attached to the plastic layer - it's a four pin connection that looks pretty much like a power connector to a fan. Now we have a problem...

The screen looks straight up fantastic with NO SIGNAL (computer off, but monitor getting power) This is the blue screen state that says "NO SIGNAL" in the middle of the screen. It's crisp and clear and looks great. All the Menu options look clear and bright.

Then I turned on the PC and it's FUZZY city. I'm totally confused by this... The bios post text is fuzzy, windows is fuzzy, etc. How can it look good with no signal coming in and then turn to a ghost image, fuzzy screen when I turn on the PC??!! It's like image is just not quite lined up properly ONLY when recieving signal?? ALl the connections look good inside....I'm lost. And really ticked off at myself too..

What I've tried:
    1. Unistalling the monitor from the device manager
    2. Using the RESET feature on the monitor's menu options
    3. Using the auto set feature in the menu
    4. Putting everything back together the way it was

Help on this issue would be greatly appreciated....
    Consistency...thou art a jewel.
    --------------------------------------------
    Lilli 7" EBY701 TouchScreen, BIOSTAR P4-M80 Socket 478 mobo, Celeron D 1.2G, 512MB, 40GB 2.5" Moblie HDD, 14.1" Wide LCD, Xantrex 400watt inverter, Dual XDM6820 Head Unit

Make sure your resolution is set to 800X480...that is the screen's native resolution. I recently installed a EBY701 in a friends car and it looks beautiful at 800X480...

Comment

First check your barrel connector. This is usually picky. Make sure to put it in correctly and tighten but not too tight.

Then make sure the other end with the clip and the weird connector is connected perfectly straight.

Then to the inside, make sure all ribbon cables are properly inserted in the ZIP sockets. If one of the connectors is sideways or on an angle, then this may happen. Usually it is a greenigh screen, but it could be fuzzy too.
      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

yeah, definatle sounds like a bad connection, if you tried to remove the touchscreen without uplugging the lcd ribbon cable then maybe it got pulled or missaligned...
        MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
          First check your barrel connector. This is usually picky. Make sure to put it in correctly and tighten but not too tight.

Then make sure the other end with the clip and the weird connector is connected perfectly straight.

Then to the inside, make sure all ribbon cables are properly inserted in the ZIP sockets. If one of the connectors is sideways or on an angle, then this may happen. Usually it is a greenigh screen, but it could be fuzzy too.
          barrel connector x 2. I had this problem with mine - monitor was all fuzzy, i thought it must have been interference. Then i tightened up the connector a bit more and the problem was solved.

Comment

It's not the connector...I took the screen apart again after the ghost image appearance and check all the connections/ribbons which seemed to be ok. I did push on them some just to make sure they were seated. Reassembled and placed in vehicle and it worked for a test run. I didn't leave the monitor installed because I was doing some other dash modification work and it was in the way. When I finished the dash work, I reinstalled the monitor in it's posistion and daaaaah, it's bum again. It must be a connection inside the monitor that is loose or not properly seated, but they all look fine??!!! This cables/ribbons must be REALLY picky in the lilli screens. Is there an aftermarket fix for the flaky connections on the EBY701 series of screens? I've seen some for the older models, but I'm not sure if they work on mine. Man, I shouldn't have taken that touch screen off.....jeeeez.
            Consistency...thou art a jewel.
            --------------------------------------------
            Lilli 7" EBY701 TouchScreen, BIOSTAR P4-M80 Socket 478 mobo, Celeron D 1.2G, 512MB, 40GB 2.5" Moblie HDD, 14.1" Wide LCD, Xantrex 400watt inverter, Dual XDM6820 Head Unit

Comment

I just got mine installed and have the "fuzzy" screen look also. I will check the cable (using the 9-pin DIN extension). Regarding resolution, everytime I set it below the 1280x768 that Win XP Pro wants, the display does not fill the screen. The computer is a Toshiba Laptop (old model), but it has the video out capability to do several resolutions. 1280x768 makes things (like maps) really small.

Comment

Working...
              X