X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I screwed up - touchscreen not working

hi,

I screwed up !!
    connected the 12v rail (instead of 5v). . (used the same color code doh !!) into the usb hub and noticed a little smoke emit from the lcd screen.
    the touchscreen usb was connected to this usb hub.

after checking, everything still works (usb hub, the lcd screen still and can turn on) but touchscreen not working anymore.

I took the screen apart and took out the usb module inside the screen and noticed (can't tell whether it's cap or resistor ) burnt.

see the attached picture.

this is from a 7" screen.

do you think I can replace this part of buy a spare board to fix this ?

thanks in advance for your help.
    Attached Files

Well, as long as its only the cap/resistor that took the damage and not any of the actual ICs you can replace it. Just be careful with the SMD parts as its really easy to remove the ones around the damaged one in the process.

Just wondering... can you still identify what the thing was and what rating it had? Cause without that you ll have difficulty finding a replacement part.
    CarPC progress:
    Planning: ******** | 100%
    Hardware: *******- | 90%
    Software: ********-- | 70%
    Install: ********- | 90% (Its never really completed!)

Comment

maybe the pix is not so clear since I took it using my mobile phone.
      the other parts look ok.

the cap OR resistor is surface mount type, I cannot identify any info from it since it's carcoal already :-O

what to do ? so sad.

Comment

http://shop-on-line.tvielectronics.c...usb-controller
        The Car 2005 Scion xB

The Truck 2004 GMC Canyon

Comment

Originally posted by turboman View Post
          maybe the pix is not so clear since I took it using my mobile phone.
          the other parts look ok.

the cap OR resistor is surface mount type, I cannot identify any info from it since it's carcoal already :-O

what to do ? so sad.
          you might as well just buy a replacement USB touch screen controller, as it would be much, much less effort and pretty much guaranteed to work.

Comment

Hi everyone! (well this is my firs post here)

I have the same controller, and that smd is a zener diode with the cathode top oriented. I donít get its color code, but for someone more skilled then me, here it is: from the top Ė fat brown, slim brown and slim blue (or maybe green).

For a quick test any small diode can be used, smd or not.

Comment

it's a shame since I fabricated it nicely into the dash already and if I purchase another lcd screen maybe have to redo it. . .

so maybe my plan is to get the same screen for the dash and use this one (with no toushscreen for my kids to watch cartoon at the rear !!).

at the same time may still buy the usb controller and just try and fix it.,

thanks guys !!

Comment

if the LCD itself works, then you can buy a replacement controller and use that. So no need to buy a whole new screen.
                Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Working...
                X