No announcement yet.

LCDs with no backlight? (LCD Projector)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCDs with no backlight? (LCD Projector)

Anyone know of a place where a guy can just buy the LCD itself? No attached backlight or anything? Since I've finished building my car computer, I'm beginning my next project -- LCD Projector.

Anyways, if you know of a place where you can get just the LCD, or know of a specific high quality LCD with an easily removable backlight... post it up here, I'd be very grateful.

Cy

hey, i know that sounds like a fun project, but there are better ways of projection for the "enthusiast"
    i have a sony CRT 1270 projector (can be bought for around $600) it is incredible. check out www.avsforum.com (btw, CRT = true blacks )
    mp4runner.com

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2055333995

pdf can be found in google.
      >\\MP3G60//<

Comment

Re: LCDs with no backlight? (LCD Projector)

Originally posted by Cyanide
        Anyone know of a place where a guy can just buy the LCD itself? No attached backlight or anything? Since I've finished building my car computer, I'm beginning my next project -- LCD Projector.

Anyways, if you know of a place where you can get just the LCD, or know of a specific high quality LCD with an easily removable backlight... post it up here, I'd be very grateful.

Cy
        Look for old overhead projector lcds on eBay.
        www.arbybean.com

Comment

hey sale, how'd you wind up with the 1270? I used to tweak those back in the day when three guns ruled. How many hours are on the guns?
          KG6OQD
          www.americansandassociation.org

Comment

my roomates dad works for Fema. He was a tech for them. The 1270 doesnt have an hour mete, but i switched my badly burned blue tube (Fema Logo) with a slightly less burnt tube (buying a new tube in the winter $560). any way it looks pretty good. i;m going to hook it up with a HTPC in the winter and throw some progressive DVD signals to it, should be some *****in quality coming out. of course setting it up is a *****. and takes some time.

check out avsforum.com
            mp4runner.com

Comment

As I recall, there is an hour meter in the service mode, now I just need to remember how to unlock them!

Once the projectors were warmed up, I could usually have them tweaked in within 15 minutes.
              KG6OQD

Comment

hrmmmm, so, where can i get a 1270 for $600.... sounds awfully interesting... can i hook it up to my PC? what sort of inputs? How will quality be? Tell me more...
                Car: 1999 Dark Green Mustang GT Coupe
                Audio: Alpine HU, JL 6ch Amp, JL Stealthbox and XR series components.
                Player: Empeg for now; something custom later.
                www.neotechpc.com - Custom built laptops!

Comment

well you can use it with a comp, but its not recomended (burn in) unless it is used as a HTPC (to use progressive DVD output with a software player, or www.dscaler.org).
                  you can get them from lots of places, but if you buy one from www.crtcinema.com they will cost a bit more, but youll know more about it and will be refurbished, also 1271 and 1272 are better feature wise.

takes RGB HV , Y/C (svideo) and composite video. also an extra spot for another input board.
                  mp4runner.com

Comment

also, keep in mind that the 1200 series from Sony weighs a couple of hundred pounds. These were designed as multimedia projectors back in the days of Win3.1/Powerpoint 1.0
                    KG6OQD

Comment

and they cost a lot to ship (139 pounds bare). have integrated handles to carry them with. he also has a 1292 which weighs in a good deal more. i think 200 pounds.
                      mp4runner.com

Comment

i found a 1031Q on ebay for (currently $200). Supposedly not too much burn and 2000-3000 hours on the tubes. Includes a remote and hardware to hook up to a pc. the seller claims it will support 1080i, but a site i found only listed it as 540p... it is analog, and not digital like the 1270s, but I am mildly interested. It is in my area so i wouldnt have to blow the $125 shipping. the seller said he wouldnt sell it out of ebay, and he expected it to go for $400-$500.... what do you all think?

Comment

oh yea, heres the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...769158118&rd=1

just dont out bid me!!!!!!

Comment

the video switcher is going to be what will bring the price up some. check on AVSforum.com and see what they think. the picture looks pretty good. try and see if he will let you check out the projector before the end of the auction. adk him to remove the lense block so you can see the CRT faces.

or if he can take a pictue of a "white" image being sent to the projector, then one of each tube by itself. the white will show if there is a burn or wear by being off color. even wear is fine.
                            mp4runner.com

Comment

2-3000 hours is a lot of run time. I'd be really interested in seeing the picture before laying down the cash for it.
                              KG6OQD

Comment

Working...
                              X