Need Reco' for which LCD to get

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Reco' for which LCD to get

Hey fellas and chicks, been a while since I was back. Put my carputer plans on hold while other projects took precedence. I'm back into interest and enquiry mode.

Here's the space I have to work with for my lcd install;

Not bad huh ? After gutting A/C ducts and stereo, reloc the A/C controls it should be ideal for a stealth install of a 15 incher.

Interestingly enough, I should be able to duct the A/C vent behind the LCD and down through the center console and arm rest where I'll have the puter, giving ample heat or cold for the components. Yes, its a fairly large car. Awards and kudos for anyone who can guess what model it is

Anway, i have read alot of the display and hardware posts. I am still somewhat uncertain exactly what I'll need.

So, the car is tinted pretty heavy, it came from Texas. 5% i think
    Even still, I think I'll need more than a 250 or 300 (nit is it ?) screen. considering I want a capactive touchscreen overlay perhaps I need something even more powerful, like those two bulb jammies you guys were talking abvout on the other thread.

But perhaps not, considering the tint. I just dont know.

So, would a regular lcd with 300 nits power be enough w the overlay ?

Does anyone have a rec on a decently bright screen of this size w brightness controls on the front or bottom ?

I'm not against modding the case and relocating buttons. I used to have a steady hand with the soldering iron, but I'm getting on in age

Thanks in advance

you might fit a 15" widescreen there, but it doesnt look like a normal 15" would fit, the bay doesnt look tall enough..

i could be wrong though, you didnt measure the height

Comment

height's not a problem, 15's are about 10" high and this dash is bigger than a darn Bentley. But you're right, the 10" would hang down below the ashtray there. I plan on fabbing a center console that comes up to meet the lcd however. I need the console to reloc teh HVAC controls and touchpad headunit etc.

My concern is really light output. I may just dick-around with an old 15 i have, just to see how it looks. but i would hate to invest in the puter hardware w embedded vid just to find out i woulda been better off with another approach likke a via board or something.

So in shorter terms, would a normal 15" 300 nit output lcd w touch overlay work well enough in a car with 5% tint ?

Comment

Originally posted by attilahooper View Post
        Awards and kudos for anyone who can guess what model it is
        I'm gonna go with a 93ish Caddy Fleetwood.

Comment

Very good, 96 Fleetwood to be exact. Last year of production.

Comment

Working...
          X