Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with LVDS from PicoITX to Samsung 15.4"

Hi!
    This will the first thread on this forum for me. I have been reading in it from time to time for some years now thinking about building a carputer.
    Anyway this time I will actually order the parts and build it.

I will also build one for the boat for navigation and media and here is where the question comes in.
    I have a samsung panel from a laptop that no longer works and i was thinking about connecting this to the LVDS on a VIA Pico-ITX board.
    Though I need some help on how to connect the panel as I have never done anything like that before.

The display is a Samsung LTN154P1-L02. I haven't been able to find any data sheets for this panel exept this one here.
    There exists one for the smaller 14.1" lcd here, but the pinout is not the same.
    Here is an image of the connector on lcd.

The pinout for the LVDS connector on the Pico-ITX looks like this:

The document can be found here.

The big problem is which wire goes to which pin on the mainboard?
    I would be really grateful in getting some help with this.
    Thanks

Mmm, no one has any ideas?

The info about the connector in Via's manual seams kind of strange since it doesnt say what is the odd and even channels. But is LDC1 is odd and LCD2 is even I think it should be something like this:

But I have no idea where to connect pin 3-5 from the panel.
    Sorry for the really bad drawing, I'm not familiar with gimp and have no access to the adobe suite right now.

Could this work?

Is there any risk in destroying the panel if I switch the odd and even channels?

Comment

Still no answer, come on I know there are a lot of knowledge here. Certainly someone must have any idea on how to connect these two or at least know if it is possible or maybe have a better solution/motherboard to connect the screen to. It doesnt have to be the via pico motherboard, in fact any with a lvds out will do.

The project has been down for quite some time now mostly due to other project and work. Anyway, today I found the screen collecting dust and decided to try again.

After some reading I found out that pin 3-5 is for the EDID chip containing information about the screen resolution etc. I guess these pins doesent have to be connected but from what I have understood bios and/or driver settings must be changed to the timings and resolutions of the screen. If the motherboard instead could read the data from the chip it would be much easier.
      But I'm far from certain about this so please correct me if i'm wrong.

I still havent found a real datasheet for the panel and if someone has any good links to where to search I would be really grateful.
      Here are some more info about the panel:
      Samsung: LTN154P1-L02V2.0
      Size: 15.4"
      Resolution: 1680x1050
      Number of colors: 262K
      Interface: LVDS 2 ch

By the way I have been trying to find out what resolutions the pico itx motherboard supports but havent been able to find anything. If I look in the manuan under the LVDS settings it just says hex number between #0000 and #000F. What does that mean? A number between 0 and 16 does it stand for a resolution? Eg 4 = 640x480, 5=800x600.

Comment

Randulf, there is nothing wrong happenned if you do not connect the appropriate lines together.
        The only thing you have to provide is the correct enpowering (Voltage and ground).
        I personally tried many times, it was not sensitive to the exchange of + or - neither the clk and data mismatch. It just gives funny color or no data (in the case of clk+/-).

So, do not worry, just power it correctly and guess...
        Odd/even are columns. Odd provides info for 0,2,4,6, etc even 1,3,5,7,etc.
        Your connection schematic seems to be a working one...
        Alopecia perniciosa

Comment

Thanks for the answer!
          That's comforting to hear. The only thing that keeps me from ordering the Pico board now is that I don't know if it will support the resolution. But either way i'll get a cool pc to play with
          What happens if it doesnt support the resolution? Blank? or just not the right aspect ratio?

Btw, do you know a good place to buy inverters?
          Need a new one since the original one is broken.

Comment

A simple panel must be feed by the native resolution. It is not he task of the panel to scale. That is the business of a special videochip standing alone or being incorporated into the main video chip.
            I do not know what could happen in a case of inappropriate drive.
            I think the horizontal is more important than vertical, but the lvds signal carries the info about both vsync and hsync...

Inverter: depends on the size and number of tubes.
            I think a single-tube 14' or 15' inverter have to be enough.
            But that brightness mentioned in the "datasheet" (not a real one, anyway)
            is very low, that suggests a one-tube solution and being a laptop-display.

I personally was a great fan of laptop-displays, but having an older 15' LCD MONITOR with all the working electronic seems to be a more reasonable soultion, unless you REALLY need that resolution. Now I use a 17' monitor resurrected from scrap (every piece is a different brand ) without any difficulty. And not fussing about the resoluition supported/unsupported misery...
            Alopecia perniciosa

Comment

First of all major progress....
              Maybe not.
              But finally I have received a better datasheet from a samsung reseller.

And I was in contact with VIA today and it seems the Pico supports some widescreen resolutions but they didn't say which. I asked them to send a list of all supported resolutions and will hopefully get it tomorrow.
              They talked about that I should send the panel to them along with a datasheet so they could reprogram the BIOS to fit the screen if it wasn't supported. Guess this will cost a few $$$

Does the bios have to be reprogrammed if the card doesn't support the resolution?
              It's not enough to specify res. + hsync, vsync in the xorg.conf?

Hmm, I feel I to little knowledge about this....
              Need some more

Originally posted by bbalazs View Post
              A simple panel must be feed by the native resolution. It is not he task of the panel to scale. That is the business of a special videochip standing alone or being incorporated into the main video chip.
              I do not know what could happen in a case of inappropriate drive.
              I think the horizontal is more important than vertical, but the lvds signal carries the info about both vsync and hsync...
              Hmm, that's what I figured.

Inverter: depends on the size and number of tubes.
              I think a single-tube 14' or 15' inverter have to be enough.
              But that brightness mentioned in the "datasheet" (not a real one, anyway)
              is very low, that suggests a one-tube solution and being a laptop-display.
              Yes it's a single-tube and I have found the same inverter as original from invertercentral.co.uk for about $35. As long as they could send the pinouts it should be ok i think.

I personally was a great fan of laptop-displays, but having an older 15' LCD MONITOR with all the working electronic seems to be a more reasonable soultion, unless you REALLY need that resolution. Now I use a 17' monitor resurrected from scrap (every piece is a different brand ) without any difficulty. And not fussing about the resoluition supported/unsupported misery...
              Your probably right, it would be so much easier but then I wouldn't learn anything either
              Though I kind of like the idea of using a laptop screen since its going to be used in a sailboat and the less power it consumes the better.

Comment

I do not know what that xorg.cof could be...
                I think, the BIOS needs all the info, since it will IMMEDIATELY display the welcome screen during P.O.S.T. on the resolution you want.

Just take a look on the PowerStrip program, how many other parameters you have to set to change the resolution.

OK, but on sailboat you could need a good shutter to watch.
                Alopecia perniciosa

Comment

Working...
                X