Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lilliput, how do I double the backlight?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lilliput, how do I double the backlight?

Hi,

I have an extra lilliput laying around. I was thinking about gutting its backlight and adding it to the one in my car. IF I do this, how would I go about powering the extra bulb? Would I just solder/wire it to the same points on existing bulb, or controller?

any ideas? I have not a clue.

Originally posted by ironfinger View Post
    I have not a clue.
    Then don't.

The voltage going into those backlites is very high and dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

Search on the forum for backlite upgrades, there have been a few discussions and experiments but nothing really concrete.

Comment

Also, double the tubes and light means double the heat. You're gonna have to find a way to deal with that too..........
      For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
      Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Question is Why? If you're interested in that, Google. I know some people have replaced the CCFL with high-intensity LEDs, which work out at less power for same or more light.

Comment

"then don't?" eh? this is a DIY community yo. That does not compute.

Of course I aint gonna start randomly wiring stuff together. But if anyone could help that would be awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by GutterClown View Post
            Question is Why? If you're interested in that, Google. I know some people have replaced the CCFL with high-intensity LEDs, which work out at less power for same or more light.
            why? for better sunlight readability. I alread have a transflective upgrade, but it still does not cut it. If they make brighter swap in backlights I would def go that route instead.

Comment

Yes this is a DIY forum, however when some asks how to do something and says they don't have a clue then they are generally looking at trouble. You should at least have some idea, before even thinking of doing what you are doing.

Basically the lilliputs are fickle enough as it is without trying to stick extra backlites in them.

And now you have declared you want to do this to a transflective, which has to be opened up in a sterile room to fit the special filters.

You either have too much money or not enough sense. (or both)

Comment

when someone asks how to do something and says that they have not a clue they are hinting that they are interested on some good howtos without coming out as being overly demanding for infomation. But you just read it like your typical know it all prick would.

Sterile room?
                I doubt upgrading the backlight requires completely taking apart the layers, probably just the back. Plus many people here have done 3m upgrades without "sterile rooms" and have been more that happy.

Comment

Ok, assuming you can pull it off.

Where are you going to mount said extra ccfl?

Comment

Originally posted by ironfinger View Post
                    I doubt upgrading the backlight requires completely taking apart the layers, probably just the back. Plus many people here have done 3m upgrades without "sterile rooms" and have been more that happy.
                    I personally don't buy into the whole sterile room bit, but you have to be aware that any any dust or finger prints that get on the films will be magnified when you put it all back together again.

As far as this upgrade not having to mess with the films, you can't avoid it. You will have to pull out the existing backlight and modify it so that the light from the new one can pass through it. I assume that the 629 (the basis of the trans) is similar to the 619 (what I have) in how everything is sandwiched together.

As far as Enforcer's comments go, he is right. Yes this is a DIY forum, but when you are messing with the CCFLs you are messing with something that can kill you. We are more than will to help people out, but you can't expect people to jump right in and offer a howto to someone that says they don't know what they are doing when their life would potentially be at risk.

You are also far from the only one to want to make some kind of upgrade. A few searches in this forum would A) show you that there isn't a "bolt in" option available and B) what has been done (has anyone besides TC6 actually done it?) is not trivial.

I looked into doing it to mine, but never did because I found I didn't know enough to do it correctly or safely (looked into a second MFG option like you are, additional CCFLs, and LEDs). And even though it still works, my Lilli has never quite been the same since I disassembled it.

-dave
                    My pathetic worklog.
                    CarFrontEnd (now it's own sub-forum!!!!)

Comment

As far as Enforcer's comments go, he is right. Yes this is a DIY forum, but when you are messing with the CCFLs you are messing with something that can kill you.
                      yeah messing with an lcd can kill ya, so can installing a car amplifier. People aren't born with knowledge, everyone starts at zero and learns from there. The more one works on electrical DIY projects, such as car computers, car stereos, the more one gets better at dealing with new projects. It really is more a matter of knowing how to approach things safely, which in the DIY community involves recognizing one's current understanding then asking questions to fill gaps in that understanding.

Yeah I did a search and found people who successfully did it, but they didn't give any specific details about powering the extra backlight. That is what I was interested in. that was the gap that I had not a clue about, that was the dangerous part of the undertaking and that is why I specifically asked about it. But that's cool if that information won't be coming, I simply wont do such an upgrade.

Comment

WOW typical MP3CAR B.S.
                        Let's hate the person that asks the question first....
                        WOW... a whole new reason to have a forum....
                        New Age Garmin - Skin for RR
                        New Age Slider - RR SKin In Progress
                        "It's called CODE because I don't want you to know"

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderStick View Post
                          WOW typical MP3CAR B.S.
                          WOW... a whole new reason to have a forum....
                          +1

yea he asked is that a crime?

I hope you find out what your asking..then relay it to the rest of us..take care.
                          10 acura TL tech
                          10 BMW S1000RR

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderStick View Post
                            WOW typical MP3CAR B.S.
                            Originally posted by john05srt4 View Post
                            yea he asked is that a crime?
                            There is no hate, he got reasonable answers based on the criteria that he provided.

He says that he has no clue about what he is asking (and leaves it open if that is in regards to backlights specifically, working with high voltages/amps, or electronics DIY in general). He was told rather clearly by 3 different people that these back lights are not something to screw around with if you don't know what you are doing. Should we instead have given him the information that (without properly understanding it) could A) damage the screen, B) cause a fire, or C) killed or severely injured him? And in my experience, giving people information with the warning "may harm or kill" attached to it just doesn't sink in.

That should suggest that he (or anyone in a similar situation) does more research about the topic both in this forum and elsewhere, then come back and ask any questions for things he still doesn't understand.

I hope you find out what your asking..then relay it to the rest of us..take care.
                            I hope so too, but no one should be expecting to have something just handed to them. As I said in my previous post, I had similar ideas as the OP but I did the up front research and reading before I started asking questions. And like most other people came to the conclusion that it was not something I was comfortable tackling for a variety of reasons.

-dave
                            My pathetic worklog.
                            CarFrontEnd (now it's own sub-forum!!!!)

Comment

Working...
                            X