motorcity transflective?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motorcity transflective?

Has anyone else bought a motorcity transflective lcd and seen no difference whatsoever? It's still not close to sunlight readable and the glare is horrendous. A lot of it has to do with the touch panel. Motorcity does not upgrade the touch panels but mp3car does.
    I have both a 2008 lilliput 629gl and the transflective motorcity version.
    I feel stupid that I spent $550 on it when I should have just bought the mp3car one for $200 more.
    I'm not trying to knock Motorcity, he has been very helpful, but be warned that this monitor is not the same quality as the mp3car version.

Photos taken with my iPhone with the top down on a sunny day.

My BMW E46 carpc
    My iGuidance 4 skin
    FS transflective 2008 lilliput

Those are bad results. When you took the upgraded screen apart, did you notice if the touchscreen was bonded to the LCD or not? I think that bonding the touchscreen will reduce the glare by a big percentage, but there will still be glare unless the touchscreen is replaced with an AR one.

Comment

i've seen the mp3car version in a convertible and it'd probably only look slightly better with that skin your using. It appears to have NO contrast whatsoever. I gotta say i wasnt THAT impressed with either the motorcity or mp3car version so i just got the 2k8 lilli. Course i dont have a drop top
      mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
      Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
      Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02 View Post
        i've seen the mp3car version in a convertible and it'd probably only look slightly better with that skin your using. It appears to have NO contrast whatsoever. I gotta say i wasnt THAT impressed with either the motorcity or mp3car version so i just got the 2k8 lilli. Course i dont have a drop top
        Hi sonic,

Which model lilli did you buy and do you have any pics of it in the light?

LED or CCFL? (I'd like to ditch some of the heat and get beter cold wether response)

Looking to replace my 701, I was think ing about either motorcity or the store, but not so sure now............
        For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
        Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by greatwhite View Post
          Hi sonic,

Which model lilli did you buy and do you have any pics of it in the light?

LED or CCFL? (I'd like to ditch some of the heat and get beter cold wether response)

Looking to replace my 701, I was think ing about either motorcity or the store, but not so sure now............
          i posted pics of my mp3car NON transflective lilli in the other thread u requested them in

Comment

The skin has ok contrast and would be readable if there wasnt so much glare. From the videos I've seen of the mp3car version there is far less glare. The brightness is still fairly low though. I have found a super bright 1500 nit transflective with capacitive touchscreen but the from is its $2500!

I wouldn't recommend the motorcity lilliput to anyone. I can't even get my money back because it opened it up to mount in my bezel.
            My BMW E46 carpc
            My iGuidance 4 skin

Comment

i can tell ya from first hand experience that the first pic you displayed (the one with the clearly rounded glare) would only look 20% better on the mp3car version. U'd see the same circle just not as radiant. I'm not knocking the product at all but its just not as clear as all of us wish it was for 700 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by kelmk View Post
                I wouldn't recommend the motorcity lilliput to anyone. I can't even get my money back because it opened it up to mount in my bezel.
                Not to stick up for the guy, but you wouldn't get your money back from anyone after opening the case.

Nothing personal, just saying.................
                For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
                Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

i can tell ya from first hand experience that the first pic you displayed (the one with the clearly rounded glare) would only look 20% better on the mp3car version. U'd see the same circle just not as radiant. I'm not knocking the product at all but its just not as clear as all of us wish it was for 700 bucks.
                  I can live with that. That is a direct sun reflection. The other ones are just reflecting sky.
                  if I can read it through sky reflection I would be happy.

I had to open the monitor since I fried the control board hooking the power up backwards. I had to get a new board and pop it in. I never saw it in sunlight until I got the new board in.
                  Opening it up has nothing to do with it being a crappy screen though.
                  My BMW E46 carpc
                  My iGuidance 4 skin

Comment

I sent my 10.2" wide touch screen back to motorcity after I accidentally ripped off the touch wire coming out of the screen. They haven't responded to my emails in more than a month, so I would advise not to buy anything from them, at least at this time.
                    Carputer Progress:

Re-do fabrication of screen [DONE]
                    Add mini-USB and micro-USB power from M2-ATX [DONE]
                    Teardown PC [100%]
                    Add HDMI > VGA converter [0%]

Comment

Working...
                    X