08 Lilliput question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 08 Lilliput question

I have an 08 Lilliput 629. I've heard that it's backlit with LEDs. My question is can I safely wire the "egg" input to my cars electrical system. I've heard doing this will shorten the life of a CFL, but this model doesn't use a CFL backlight. Should I really go the extra mile and power this off my PSU?

Also, anyone else own a 629 that isn't using their bezel? I'd like to replace the small "Lilliput" logo that I lost from mine without buying an entire bezel. I took it off to paint my mold and it must have ended up in the trash with all the scraps.
    03 Accord Sedan CarPC

Use a 12V regulator. The egg is just a simple EMI filter. Such regulators are inexpensive and trivial to install, with only an input, output, and common (chassis) lead. Or, use the +12V output from your PC, which is what I did, so the screen power is fully disconnected when the PC is off.

Comment

EMI filter? the egg regulates 12v power. Thats the reason it comes with cig light adapter on it lol. I've had many lilli's in my years of doing this and i cant say i ever saw any reason that the "egg" shortened the lifespan of a screen. All of my screens died because of either touchscreen issues or cable issues that were pretty much all my doing. Just use the egg OR cut the egg off and wire to a power supply.
      mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
      Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
      Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Thanks for the advice.
        03 Accord Sedan CarPC

Comment

The 2008 egg is not a regulator. It has two DC blocking capacitors, a 470 microfarad electrolytic capacitor, and a 1 milihenry inductor. These are all the elements required to make a simple LC type filter, which damps ripple and rejects high frequency noise (see low-pass filter). I use my PC power supply to provide tightly regulated power for maximum component life.

Comment

Originally posted by jcrews98 View Post
            The 2008 egg is not a regulator. It has two DC blocking capacitors, a 470 microfarad electrolytic capacitor, and a 1 milihenry inductor. These are all the elements required to make a simple LC type filter, which damps ripple and rejects high frequency noise (see low-pass filter). I use my PC power supply to provide tightly regulated power for maximum component life.
            you should awfully intelligent about the matter, but i doubt that most (including myself) have the slightest idea of what you're trying to say. Are you saying that the engineers decided to make the "egg" inferior than what it was before? I think thats the point of what the thread is about.
            mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
            Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
            Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Without the backlight inverter, the rest of the display has its own 5V source(s). That would be a good reason why the egg no longer has a regulator in it if it did on the CCFL models. It's still a good idea to filter ripple though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02 View Post
                ... cut the egg off and wire to a power supply.
                Agree with that..it's the best way to go and very easy....
                "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -AE

Comment

Working...
                X