What do you guys think? Look good?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think? Look good?

Hey guys, this is not complete, but wanted to see what you all thought about how the fab work came out. Let me know. Thanks!

I don't have a before image, so I hope slinkytoy doesn't mind me borrowing his....

Quit crossposting.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

43 views and not one opinion? It is because I crossposted, right?

Comment

I don't get it. 84 people have seen this and have NOTHING to say about it?

Comment

Its been just less than a half a day... You cant expect too many responses in such a short time.

Anyways, I dont know what it is supposed to look like, or where it is going into, or what is used to look like. Also pictures are very hard to try and tell if it is flat or wavy or what.

Looks like an overly large screen though unless you are doing a semi...
          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

This is going into a 2000 Silverado, where the radio and A/C controls used to be. Also, I was actually just wanting to know what you thought about the work itself, not about the concept.

Comment

so far, it looks good. you really should post some before pics though. just a thought

Comment

And close ups...can't really see a lot in those pics...or how smooth it is.
                AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods
                "A great smoking alternative"

Comment

the pictures blow up if you click on them.

is the screen still in the bezel under the tape?!?! that's gonna make it really hard to get a nice finish all around. the work right now is too early to tell how good or bad it will look. that could be finished sweet or that could wind up looking pretty ghetto depending on what you do to finish it, right now it's just bonded in place... that's the begining really, not the end

best advice i could give is, if the screen is still in the bezel then you really, really should consider taking it out... that'll increase the chances of you getting a nice finished product big time... and not marking up the screen, and not getting a heavy edge buildup of paint & primer & stuff at the tape edge, and being able to feather the screen bezel into the dash bezel well, and... well, you get the point

right now it just looks bonded in place... not too much many are going to say about it
                  MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

looks good to me

Comment

You're jsut a bit impatient aren't ya?

80-ish looks and no comments is not unusual. Besides, you've only posted a bezel bonded to a dash bezel. No great shakes there.

If it's gonna look like Slinktoy's dash, I don't really care for it. He did a pretty good job, but it just doesn't quite go with the dash and it's layout. And your screen appears even bigger. Now, his is pretty much a show truck, so............

Here's an idea of what a large screen looks like in that location:
                      http://www.sporttruck.com/featuredve...ado/index.html
                      Doesn't look that good, eh?

Where are you putting your HVAC? And you covered over a vent too..........

How is the screen bezel bonded to the dash bezel? I hope that's not just body fill or it will crack at best, screen will fall out at worst.

Also see the above comments by turbocad. You've got a decent beginning, but only a beginning............

Is that a 10 inch screen? That's going be bright as heck at night and it's right below (almost in) your line of sight. You'll be reaching for the power button to turn that sucker off on a dark night. But I see there are no screen/bezel mounted buttons, that's a PITA.
                      It's also going have a hard time dealing with direct sunlight mounted that high and flat in the dash. Reflections will be crazy in that postion. Don't wear anything white......
                      Mine is mounted low in the center console, it's a 7 inch and sometimes it's still too bright at night and washes out in daylight.

Veiwing angle should be good though.

Don't take this as a negative post, not intended that way. just keep working away at it.

Cheers
                      For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
                      Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by williamn333 View Post
                        Hey guys, this is not complete, but wanted to see what you all thought about how the fab work came out. Let me know. Thanks!

I don't have a before image, so I hope slinkytoy doesn't mind me borrowing his....

Looks good...would love to see more pics
                        "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -AE

Comment

You've got some fill and sanding to do, but the concept looks aight, imho. A transreflective screen would allow for a usable image without the problems w/ brightness, so long as it will keep settings or allow easy access to brightness controls.

@ Greatwhite: The example you give is a bit ott, imho, but the big screen in the dash, I think, kinda goes with the "in your face" nature of the rest of the build. So yeah, looks kinda cheesey, but then, imho, so does an hunter orange glass interior with gauges where the cup holder ought to be.
                          I have too much time and too little aggravation in my life, so I built a carPC. ;)

Comment

Just to give everyone some more information about the build, actually what this piece is, is the Micro Touch touch screen by Keytec. The LCD that I am putting into it is a custom LCD that can handle 1900x1200 resolution. Just to give everyone kinda a preview, let's just say I will probably the only one I know of that will watch blu ray movies in his truck. My builder has this piece now, so I will give you all the finished picture when it is done, and of course, keep the comments flowing.

Comment

Originally posted by hithere View Post
                              @ Greatwhite: The example you give is a bit ott, imho, but the big screen in the dash, I think, kinda goes with the "in your face" nature of the rest of the build. So yeah, looks kinda cheesey, but then, imho, so does an hunter orange glass interior with gauges where the cup holder ought to be.
                              Umm, not to start a flame war or anything, but if you look at the OP pictures, and then that "orange attrocity" the screen sizes are pretty close to equal...................
                              For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
                              Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Working...
                              X