LCD mount with arm...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD mount with arm...

Does anyone have any good ideas on what I can use to mount my LCD in my car? I want to have it on an arm that can swivel to be close to the steering wheel, or possibly for a passenger to use. I have to be able to disconnect the LCD easily, and it would be nice if I could hide the arm as well, but that's not mandatory. My biggest concern though is something that can hold that weight and that I can press on (it's a touchscreen) without moving it. Does anyone have any good ideas or good mounts that they've used?

Thanks!
    IN DEVELOPMENT -- '96 Mustang, lilliput with PII/450 laptop, custom DC-DC power supply, 60GB; Garmin GPS; 802.11g; compact keyboard, small graphical LCDs, OBDII.

An Idea I had 'back in the day' was to use a hand free kit used normally for cheap mobiles. I never went any further with this idea than a few diagrams and such. Howver my plan was to 'hold' the screen using slim line magents from any hardware store and plaec over the top of the magnet a thin peice of metal and use this as a conductive surface for the connections. So in short youd place the screen onto the 'holder' and the magnets would hold it and create the connections for the plug, I dropped the Idea cause I frowned on the idea of having a live 12v plate in the car, if you follow.
    Anyway Ive seen crazier things work from even stupider ideas.

Cheers,
    Mik.
    The box said Windows 9x or better.. so I installed Linux

There are 10 kinds of people in the world those who understand binary and those who don't.

Comment

I just mounted mine using a flex-arm. It's VERY durable and doesn't move/sway at all. Requires some force in order to flex it the way u want too:

[ 5-spd 1996 M A X i M A SE ]

Comment

beautiful nadir! now where do I get one?
        IN DEVELOPMENT -- '96 Mustang, lilliput with PII/450 laptop, custom DC-DC power supply, 60GB; Garmin GPS; 802.11g; compact keyboard, small graphical LCDs, OBDII.

Comment

Originally posted by Telek
          beautiful nadir! now where do I get one?

Check crutchfield.com... to tell u the truth, they were the only one that sold a decent one for the lowest price! i think its a 15" flex arm for 20 bucks. That's the best deal u can probably find IMHO.

Comment

can you tell me the model #? I can't find anything like that

Comment

Originally posted by Telek
              can you tell me the model #? I can't find anything like that
              sorry it took me a while to reply to u... but here ya go:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MSbHZYL...=&search=mount

$20 for a 15" is the LOWEST i've seen.

Comment

thanks, but @#$(*.... they only ship to the US... b00.

Anyone know of any international ones? :P

Thanks anyway!

-- Telek

Comment

perhaps buy it, have it shipped to somebodies house (mine?), then give them the $$ to have to shipped to you.

Comment

thanks, I might take you up on that offer sometime :P

What have other people done? I'm assuming that other people have done this, so what have you guys used for mounting not in-dash?

Comment

personally, i looked at PanaVise and Pro.Fit, got the idea from them, edited and customized it a bit then made my own out of 16ga steel. That is my favorite of my mounts. Another is a gooseneck, crutchfield has a very nice looking one that is 20 inches, i believe.

Comment

seems like the first 2 are for cellphones and small devices... and the problem is that my dash mounts in the plastic are almost all broken (@!#($*ing last guy who owned the car, this will probably be a huge problem in the future)... so I'd have to either attach directly to the body somewhere or perhaps to one of the pipes that runs behind the dash, and that would have to be custom, so I'm looking more for the gooseneck approach... crutchfield only ships to US residents

Comment

http://www.ram-mount.com

Comment

How much weight

Does that Scosche 1215 hold? I have that Gateway internet appliance hacked and need something to mount it in my mustang but its a little heavy...

Comment

Someone said strong as a rock, but really if your item is heavy just buy 2 of them and put them on either end of the object... That's probably what I'm going to do with mine because my device is rather heavy too and a real mounting kit is like > $100, and 2 of those is $40...

Comment

Working...
                              X