Touchscreen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touchscreen?

I just wanted to know if it is possible for a touchscreen to work if I hook it up in my car pc running centrafuse with the video connection instead of the VGA because the screen I get does not have VGA. I was at the local sight&sound store today and one of the installers told me that running a computer on your touch screen is absolutly impossible, which I did not beliveve. So I just want to know if this is possible and how some of you pro have your screens hooked up.

Originally posted by Cybergeek View Post
    I just wanted to know if it is possible for a touchscreen to work if I hook it up in my car pc running centrafuse with the video connection instead of the VGA because the screen I get does not have VGA.
    yes, it is possible, but the text will look "fuzzy" as a component video input does not have the fine resolution that a VGA input would.

Just FYI, the touchscreen panel is independant of what's displayed underneath it. the compute doesn't "see" the LCD when you touch it, it just sees your input on the touchscreen overlay and interprets where you are "clicking" on the screen. That's not hte best explaination, but I can't seem to think of a better way to put it right now.....

I was at the local sight&sound store today and one of the installers told me that running a computer on your touch screen is absolutly impossible, which I did not beliveve.
    I wouldn't talk to this idiot ever again if I were you..............unless he was talking about trying to output your computer desktop on one of the aftermarket navigation unit intended to work on thier own. Like a pinoneer anvic or soem other type of unit (alpine, etc)

So I just want to know if this is possible and how some of you pro have your screens hooked up.
    Mine is VGA.
    For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Thanks for the advice but is there a site that will kinda show me what it will look like with VGA and RCA (picture quailty), yeah this guys was a real goon and he's suppose to be an installer, haha yeah right thats one spot I'm not taking my ride for installtion.

Comment

I just wanted to know if it is possible for a touchscreen to work if I hook it up in my car pc running centrafuse with the video connection instead of the VGA because the screen I get does not have VGA.
        Their answer is correct, but their logic behind it is not.

Is it possible? Yes.
        Is it worth it? No.
        Could your local shop pull it off? Probably not, but the vast majority of us here couldn't, either.

In order to make it work, you would have to crack open the headunit, reverse-engineer the touchscreen, rewire it to a USB or serial connection, and possibly write drivers to make it work.
        Be aware that if it works, the touchscreen will only control the PC when all is said & done.

I was at the local sight&sound store today and one of the installers told me that running a computer on your touch screen is absolutly impossible, which I did not beliveve. So I just want to know if this is possible and how some of you pro have your screens hooked up.
        It's possible.
        Someone did it with a Kenwood unit and posted a how-to on these forums.

If you think you can pull it off and are qilling to risk your pricey headunit, be my guest!
        Be sure to post pics of your adventure!
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
          Their answer is correct, but their logic behind it is not.

Is it possible? Yes.
          Is it worth it? No.
          Could your local shop pull it off? Probably not, but the vast majority of us here couldn't, either.

In order to make it work, you would have to crack open the headunit, reverse-engineer the touchscreen, rewire it to a USB or serial connection, and possibly write drivers to make it work.
          Be aware that if it works, the touchscreen will only control the PC when all is said & done.

It's possible.
          Someone did it with a Kenwood unit and posted a how-to on these forums.

If you think you can pull it off and are qilling to risk your pricey headunit, be my guest!
          Be sure to post pics of your adventure!

Are you talking about the same thing we are? "Can you hook up a PC running centrafuse and use the touchscreen to make it work, THAT is hooked up via RCA?"

Oh buy the way you have a pretty nice setup in your truck. Good job!

Comment

Yes, we're talking about the same thing.

You can get video on that screen, but NOT touchscreen control of the PC.
            At least that's what I interpreted from your post.
            If I misunderstood, then I apologize.

And thanks for the compliment. Much appreciated!
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Let's clarify something here that seems to be causing confucion:

Is your touch screen just a touch screen (lilliput, xenarc, lintx, etx) or is it one of the aftermarket head ubits with a touch screen built into it (pioneer, alpine, etc)?

If the former, the install guy is out to lunch.

If the later, darque is pretty much correct.

Cheers
              For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
              Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Accually I haven't bought the screen yet because I want the one that folds down into your dash like an indash one, and from searching on ebay I only found a few with VGA that are like that all others are just the regular touch screens that are permently mounted. So if you guys know of any indash one for around less then $250 $300 with VGA then can you show me the site. Also what kind of screens do you guys use to control your PC by touch screen.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Lilliput-7-In-Das...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/T0701A-7-In-Dash-...QQcmdZViewItem

1st ones to pop on a search.

What kind of screen?

Ummm, a touchscreen maybe?

Kind of answered your own question there bud............
                  Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Accually those are in Hong Kong I was looking for something in USA or Canada. I'm a little nervous about buying stuff from overseas. Have any of you guys ordered from overseas ans if so how is the shipping time and cutomer service like if the screen is dead when I get it can I return it?

Comment

You didn't specify that in your post.

You may have a hard time finding a motorized touch screen for 250 bucks.................
                      Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X