Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on motorised VGA screen just bought please

Hi folks

I'm working on a couple of carputers at the moment - one is based on a Cappuccino TX3 pc, and a Lilliput 7" touchscreen, but the other one is intended as a more quick & easy 'cheats' installation.

I've bought a used Lilliput TC-1000 for a nice priceand am awaiting its arrival so I can start meddling, and I've just bought this monitor (used) on Ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN:IT&ih=010

Now there's no mention of brand but from looking at similar appearance models on Ebay they all seem to have 701 in the model description.
    I've found a nice worrying thread on here about these things having a tendency to break if they use a car 12v supply instead of a proper regulated supply, so I have a couple of questions if you good folks can help.

1) Does anyone know from these pictures exactly what screen this one is?
    2) Does anyone know if the TC-1000 will have a suitable spare allocation of stable power that I could use to run this monitor safely?
    3) I think I ballsed up a little because my first impression of this was that because it has a built in amp & tuner, I'd be able to run the line out from the TC-1000 into it for all the HDD tunes, but I have a nasty suspicion now that this unit has no form of audio in, so does that mean it's no use for me in respect of playing MP3s?

Finally, are there many people who own this 'strain' of monitor & have done for some time without issues? I was a bit worried after reading the big voltage thread about these kind of screens but maybe the majority are ok, or are they pretty unreliable?

If it ends up that it's rubbish, or unreliable, I might just flog it straight on again without using it, and then do more homework as I should have done in the first place!!

Appreciate any input, thanks.
    Jim

Anyone?

Comment

That ebay monitor looks like a DWW-700m. Its one of the cheaper motorized units. I believe they use plastic gears for the motorized part, which some people have had issues with. Others have had good luck.

http://digitalww.com/store/proddetail.asp?prod=DWW700M
      ** Denotes an "in car" post
      In-Car posts made from passenger seat - Be safe, Don't Post and Drive.

Comment

Thanks very much

It's certainly beginning to look like there is no audio input, so I suppose the only way I can get MP3s to play through its amp is via an FM transmitter which is far from perfect.

Do you know if this is one of the models that suffers from being very voltage sensitive? Ie has to have a regulated 12v supply rather than just the vehicle's own 12v feed?

Thanks again for the info.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-OmniBook-600-...2em118Q2el1247

you can never be too careful. Just make sure to cut the cord, and swap wires, so it's positive center... 9-24volts in, 12volts regulated out..

Comment

Cheers! I had wondered about a laptop PSU for the cappuccino tx3 carputer I'm doing, but for this one I was hoping that there might be regulated power spareinside the TC-1000 I have?

I think I'll have an issue with audio anyway, and seeing as I don't have a triple DIN slot I can't use my alpine head unit at the same time so I might have to sell this monitor again and buy one of the lilliput ones with the built in amp as they have audio input I believe.

Unless anyone has a brainwave as to how I can pipe MP3's from the TC-1000 into the amp this monitor has?!
            Doh!

Comment

As far as I can tell the monitor you have purchased does not have an internal amplifier. From the ebay photos, I do not see any speaker-level outputs. This appears to be a DWW-700M which does not have an internal amp. I would recommend using an external amplifier, as it will be much much better quality than anything built into a chinese touchscreen.
              ** Denotes an "in car" post
              In-Car posts made from passenger seat - Be safe, Don't Post and Drive.

Comment

I think I could be the king of those who worry about these kinds of screens. I have broken 3, and had a pretty terrible experience with them. The trick is to run it off of a regulated supply. Since I started doing that, I have not had any problems with my screen, and it has been 100% reliable. The screen link is no longer valid, but regardless I don't think that the TC-1000 would have enough spare juice to power a screen (or even to get 12V out of the TC-1000 at all).

Comment

depending how much money you want to put into the second project you can also viably wire up a multi channel amp and you'd plug your computer into that and let the amp power the speakers.

I also recommend an fm modulator over a transmitter. I wired up one yesterday and for the next to nothing cost (benefits of employee discount) it sounds peachy. the transmitters tend to have static compared to a modulator which is wired into your car.

Comment

i think you will find its a b-billion one
                    http://item.b-billion.com/XDX/XDXP07..._A_billion.HTM

$279US off their web site + freight

Comment

Well, I've received this monitor now and it looks like it hasn't even been used so for 112 I really can't complain.

Fired it up with an ac/dc psu and I have to say so far I'm impressed. Works like a dream and the image quality is good too.
                      Only gripe is the film over the screen is badly stuck on. I'm assuming that this is the touchscreen overlay but if someone comes on & says that the screen has a peel off protective layer I'd be pleased of course. Am too scared to try lifting it at all in case it is the touchscreen overlay as I say....

Anyone know if these models normally come with a protective film on the screen?

Comment

Originally posted by Cret View Post
                        Well, I've received this monitor now and it looks like it hasn't even been used so for 112 I really can't complain.

Fired it up with an ac/dc psu and I have to say so far I'm impressed. Works like a dream and the image quality is good too.
                        Only gripe is the film over the screen is badly stuck on. I'm assuming that this is the touchscreen overlay but if someone comes on & says that the screen has a peel off protective layer I'd be pleased of course. Am too scared to try lifting it at all in case it is the touchscreen overlay as I say....

Anyone know if these models normally come with a protective film on the screen?
                        Most screens have a protective film on top to protect them from being scratched during shipping. I would post a picture or two so that we can determine what it is. Otherwise if is bubbly in places it is most likely a film as touchscreens are more rigid then that.

Comment

Generally, if you can peel it back without having to get under the bezel, it is just a protective layer. Just see if you can pull it back up at the corner. If so, it is probably just there for shipping.

If your touchscreen overlay is all wrinkly, it is probably going to fail pretty quickly anyhow.
                          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                          Want to:
                          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Good points, thanks.

I suspect I'm just being a bit over cautious over a new toy given that they're allegedly a bit delicate.

Now to find a cheap and suitable 12v dc-dc source for it for the car. I'm guessing that as long as the output is pretty close to 12v and it's not just a feed from the car's supply it should be alright.

Comment

i had that exact same one, broke it 3 times, the plastic gears kept breaking, and the touch screen NEVER worked.
                              CarDomain for my Silverado. Updated 2-20-07!!!
                              DropJawMag pic #1 of my truck at ShowFest '06.
                              DropJawMag pic #2 of my truck at ShowFest '06.
                              DropJawMag pic of my truck at Scrapin The Coast '06.

Comment

Working...
                              X