4:3 vs. 16:9

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4:3 vs. 16:9

hey all first post here long time forum reader... my question is: Is it better to have a 4:3 LCD vs a 16:9 LCD or does it make a difference at all? I was thinking maybe ones desktop or aspec would run better with say road runner. To be more clear when I say run better I am not talking about performance I am reffering to a stretched desktop, getting better resolutions or configuring the front ends etc.

I have a 2007 honda civic and just bought the dash bezel from honda to try and fit in an LCD (once I chose one I like). Its looks like it would fit a 7" or maybe up to 8" without much cutting BUT it looks to me like a 16:9 aspec. one screen I like the 1000nit xenarc LED one looks like a 4:3 so I believe I would have to mod the hell out of the dash piece

any help or suggetions? how do you figure out if an LCD is 16:9 or 4:3? like as in take the dimensions and do what math to them?

Just look at the native resolution. If the screen is native 800x600, it's 4:3. If it's something more like 768x432 then it's 16:9.

Or you could hand it to a third grader and ask him to differentiate between rectangles and squares.

Just kidding!
    Ampie Case
    2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
    256 MB DDR2 PC5400
    Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
    Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
    M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Hi, I dont understand exactlly what you need, I mean if you need to know spec. difference between 4:3 and 16:9 or how does it seems. I will try to answer both.

First, basically there`s not a performance difference between the two formats, you can use both in any system, but you have to have in mind that if your video card do not accept the display resolution your video will looks strech, (is more possible that an oldiest computer have problems to display correct a 16:9), but at the end you will see it. Is something similar to see a dvd that is not in 16:9 format on a lcd and you put the wide option, you will see it strech.

Second if you dont know if your display is 4:3 or 16:9, is simply the 4:3 is square and the 16:9 is rectangle, I think that you wouldnt have problems with recognize it, dont?

I hope this what you need.

Saludos.

PD Sorry for english written mistakes.

Comment

its simply a ratio. example. 800px by 600px, a 4:3 aspect ratio, you get one and a third times the width as you do height (800/600=1.3333). it is not square, square is a 1:1 ratio (for each pixel it is wide there is one pixel for its height). with that said I think you can figure it out simply by looking at the native resolution of the screen.
        check us out at: www.neonboombox.com

Comment

either that or they will have the black bars on the top and bottom
          check us out at: www.neonboombox.com

Comment

Yeah, but if you watch 4:3 material on a 16:9 screen, it gets squashed from the side. Its a lose-lose situation, I guess.

Oh, and the 1000nit monitor is 16:9.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies... I really appreciate it. NeonDev gave me the exact info I was looking for but all the others had some great info also

Comment

Working...
              X