Why use vga when i could use S-Video?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why use vga when i could use S-Video?

There are many lcd screens out there that already have s-video or rca. Why would one want to use a Liliput or Xenarc which has vga, over the cheaper rca/s-video displays?

Higher resolution + touch panel = win

Comment

Good point about the higher res, although s-video is pretty high res. Yet i can see why one would want the vga.

There are 7" touch screen upgrade kits on the net, that can easily be integrated into a computer. It runs on usb, so one just plugs it in to the usb port. Installation only needs double sided sticky tape, to put the touchscreen in front of the monitor.

I've just gotten the combination. I hope the s-video doesn't let me down. I'm sure the touch panel kit will not. Its made for the Asus Eee. I've seen it in action on youtube and it looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by dbacs View Post
        Good point about the higher res, although s-video is pretty high res. Yet i can see why one would want the vga.

There are 7" touch screen upgrade kits on the net, that can easily be integrated into a computer. It runs on usb, so one just plugs it in to the usb port. Installation only needs double sided sticky tape, to put the touchscreen in front of the monitor.

I've just gotten the combination. I hope the s-video doesn't let me down. I'm sure the touch panel kit will not. Its made for the Asus Eee. I've seen it in action on youtube and it looks great.

no, svideo is a big old cr*p, absolutely unusable... you will get a picture like this:

i dont want to see this on secondary/other monitors too...
        "case": Skoda Superb Elegance 1.8T
        Asrock G41MH-GE, E2180 2GHz dualcore, 1024MB DDR2/800, Samsung F1 750GB/7200RPM/32MB, M4-ATX, Lilliput FA1011 HDMI touchscreen, ASUS Xonar DG PCI, homemade Quectel L10 USB GPS

Comment

Originally posted by FPeter View Post
          no, svideo is a big old cr*p, absolutely unusable... you will get a picture like this:

i dont want to see this on secondary/other monitors too...

Oh great! What did i do!

Hmm, strange though. I use s-video on external monitors for video editing and the resolution is good. Maybe its because of the quality of the graphics card and the size of the tv it plays on.

Oh well, i'll soon see.

Comment

yes, as you said it will be the monitor its on, S-Video monitors at smaller sizes have terrible resolution, and turn out blocky, bad contrast and overal unusable.

it would be a waste of time/money to buy a s-video screen, then a TS overlay, then hit yourself cos its actually really bad and you cant return the screen cos u took it apart to fit the TS... its a vicous cycle my friend...

all the best tho

Comment

Oh well. Too late now.

At least i got the s-video screen off ebay for only 30.00 and the computer was free. So i'm really only 30.00 in the hole, so far.

Live and learn i guess.

Perhaps it will be good enough for my needs, but I'll probably end up agreeing with you guys and throw the thing out the window.

Thanks all.

Comment

I disagree. It depends on what do you use for. It is more than perfect for selecting music to listen, watching video, displaying vehicle data,etc. It depends on the software. Graphical operation systems are capable to increase the font size, so if you are handy enough, you can match the screen to your demands. Just watch 'my pictures' section...

One thing is not possible: using it as a system monitor, because the disadvantages cited above: small size, low resolution, blurred picture.

I personally think, there is no need for touchscreen, neither. I prefer input devices that are working without drawing the driver's attention to.
                Alopecia perniciosa

Comment

Originally posted by bbalazs View Post
                  I disagree. It depends on what do you use for. It is more than perfect for selecting music to listen, watching video, displaying vehicle data,etc. It depends on the software. Graphical operation systems are capable to increase the font size, so if you are handy enough, you can match the screen to your demands. Just watch 'my pictures' section...

One thing is not possible: using it as a system monitor, because the disadvantages cited above: small size, low resolution, blurred picture.

I personally think, there is no need for touchscreen, neither. I prefer input devices that are working without drawing the driver's attention to.
                  Yes this is exactly what i intend to do with it. Only play music, and possibly connect to internet and skype when in wifi zones.

I found out the monitor i purchased from ebay is 480x320 resolution. That's only 16 bit i think. Not the best but not too shabby.

bbalazs, I'm glad you said hand-free operation. There is software for windows vista media center which allows one to use voice for control. This means i could make media center start on power-up and use it through voice commands.

Bummer, i'm going to be mad if that works well, since i just bought a touch panel. If the voice command software works i won't need the touch panel.

Comment

Originally posted by bbalazs View Post

Seconded. Not everyone is looking to put a PC with a vga touchscreen in their car. I saw a youtube video of a Zune 80 hooked up to the COMPOSITE input of a Pioneer Avic Z3 and it was perfectly viewable. The Zune doesn't have vga out, so there's no reason to get a vga touchscreen. The source dictates the screen, not the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by dbacs View Post
                      Yes this is exactly what i intend to do with it. Only play music, and possibly connect to internet and skype when in wifi zones.

I found out the monitor i purchased from ebay is 480x320 resolution. That's only 16 bit i think. Not the best but not too shabby.

bbalazs, I'm glad you said hand-free operation. There is software for windows vista media center which allows one to use voice for control. This means i could make media center start on power-up and use it through voice commands.

Bummer, i'm going to be mad if that works well, since i just bought a touch panel. If the voice command software works i won't need the touch panel.
                      Ok couple points. Resolution has nothing to do with colour depth. You can run it with 32bit colours, or 4bit colours just like you can run a SXGA monitor at 4bit or 32bit colours.

Also I find a touchscreen the easiest input method. Keyboard/mouse/trackpad whatever all are more distracting. Only thing easier is dedicated volume knob. But with a quick glance at the touchscreen you can operate it easily. The buttons on frontends like RoadRunner are big, and since you have a crapy screen you need to use a frontend to make it look anywhere near acceptable. When you touch the panel, it gets a fingerprint. So in high sun situations when you dont want to stare at the screen, you know where to press anyways because there is already a big pile of prints over your commonly used buttons like volume. And this will be even worse with voice control.

First reason is voice control sucks in the car. There is too much ambient noise. You need a cancelling microphone which is $300+ and since you were too cheap to even spring for a good screen, I doubt you will get a good mic and buy the $10 walmart special. Then you frustrate yourself by saying "Music" and it going to GPS or even powering off. It just wont work with your budget. Also because of this problem you will be constantly looking at your screen to figure out what command it did recognize. And since it is svideo and you wont be able to read what it says well, you will spend lots of time looking at the screen instead of the road making it more dangerous that a touch overlay. Another reason is it is just plain stupid to have voice control as the only way to get around. Who wants to be in the car and constantly talk to it when a simple button press could have gotten you there much more quickly. Also you say vista has the good software... XP has the same SAPI5. Also volume control in Vista is horrible for the car environment, so you are better off sticking with XP. That and with your free computer, XP will be much faster and more reliable also opening up a whole world of frontends that dont work at all or are crippled under Vista.
                      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by katachi View Post
                        Seconded. Not everyone is looking to put a PC with a vga touchscreen in their car. I saw a youtube video of a Zune 80 hooked up to the COMPOSITE input of a Pioneer Avic Z3 and it was perfectly viewable. The Zune doesn't have vga out, so there's no reason to get a vga touchscreen. The source dictates the screen, not the other way around.
                        yes source dictates the screen. A PC has a minimum useable resolution of 640x480. Therefore svideo/composite just wont do for system level.
                        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                          yes source dictates the screen. A PC has a minimum useable resolution of 640x480. Therefore svideo/composite just wont do for system level.
                          No, a PC does not have a minimum useable res of 640x480. Do you mean the VGA output of your video card? Or do you mean the software you run won't work in a lower res? The PC itself has nothing to do with video output. The video cards, however, do. I've run apps on 320x240 lcd screens on both composite and s-video on PII and PIIIs. I could navigate Win98SE just fine, with the display settings in Win98 set to 800x600. Txt isn't exactly easy to read, but nobody really sits in their car writing c++ code while driving.

Comment

Originally posted by katachi View Post
                            No, a PC does not have a minimum useable res of 640x480. Do you mean the VGA output of your video card? Or do you mean the software you run won't work in a lower res? The PC itself has nothing to do with video output. The video cards, however, do. I've run apps on 320x240 lcd screens on both composite and s-video on PII and PIIIs. I could navigate Win98SE just fine, with the display settings in Win98 set to 800x600. Txt isn't exactly easy to read, but nobody really sits in their car writing c++ code while driving.
                            Would you happen to be writing code for the program c4d? Sorry just thought i would ask. I know of a cinema 4d programmer who has the same screen name as you.

Anywyays, yeah what he said.

Comment

Without custom drivers, XP needs 640x480. If you dont change it through powerstrip or something, that is the minimum resolution. That simple. Even if you put it on a 1pixel by 1 pixel LCD doesnt matter. The minimum resolution you need is 640x480 to make it enjoyable. This is the whole reason for the CarPC. Why spend lots of time and money to put something you dont like or is crappy in your car? Might as well buy a HU if that is what you end up doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X