transflective screen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transflective screen

Transflective..... Where/what is the best/cheapest way to get something like this in 7 in. for car application.

Just found this? Anyone have experience with it?
    http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12031

Here is another I have found:
    http://www.minipc.de/catalog/il/869

They area still a bit spendy, but this is a start

Is there a way to do the transflective on your own screen? I'm looking for all possibilities here.

Here is another interesting link:
    http://www.vertexlcd.com/ATT.htm

Maybe something like this may help the screen also be sunlight readable.
    http://www.irtouch.com/info/2008213/2008213121241.shtml

LinITX = not a good idea. Unless you live in the UK.

I live in the US, and I ordered one, that flickered when hooked up to several different power supplies. It also "squeaked," and shifted when I pushed on the screen. It also has probably the worst viewing angle out of any monitor I have ever laid eyes upon.

So if you don't care about all that, but simply want one you can see in direct sunlight, then by all means. I don't think sunlight-readable displays are ready for mainstream yet.

The best solution is probably super high brightness monitors, and not transflective, at this point.

At a $163USD loss to myself, I shipped the unit back and I am getting a refund on the monitor and original shipping.

Comment

That sucks. Well.... I've been doing some research on the transflective screens and I believe they are pretty good. I would go with the one from carft that is displayed in the death valley sun. I agree on the mainstream part because of the price. I'm sure the glare and viewing angle could be improved but there has to be some trade offs. I am going to do the 3m modification to my stuff and see what happens. If I don't like it then I'm going to sell the screen and wait for something to come up. It makes the car pc thing useless unless you can read the screen.

Comment

If I were to get a transflective screen I would not opt for the lilliput. Just not as good of quality as the one from carft. I do not remember the model number of the one from there but from what I've read and seen, that would be the best choice I believe unless someone else introduces a new screen. If you are going to spend that much money on a screen you may as well spend a few extra $$$ to get the better one.

Comment

I thought cartft was overseas as well?

I have a bad taste in my mouth from the transflective screen. the colors were ****ty, and the viewing angle was the worst. ever.

Seems that until the viewing angles and colors are up to par, that a super freakin bright LED backlight monitor would be the best... I can see my cell phone in the sunlight better, with more vibrant colors than the trans from linITX

edit: bahaha! the cartft screen IS THE SAME EXACT SCREEN as the linITX one... The were both made in Taiwan, I believe.

http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/869

http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12031

combined with the fact that dealing with overseas is a *****, I'd say---

good luck on that

Comment

I got the CarTFT CTF-700SH from CarTFT.com, located here Ues, I ordered it from overseas, and yes, it cost a lot since the dollar is rather weak compared to the Euro, but it was well worth it. No issues, very sunlight readable, and I am very happy with it. I would certainly recommend it.
            2005 Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe Black/Black
            Core Duo CarPC
            CarDomain page

Comment

Originally posted by Caelric View Post
              I got the CarTFT CTF-700SH from CarTFT.com, located here Ues, I ordered it from overseas, and yes, it cost a lot since the dollar is rather weak compared to the Euro, but it was well worth it. No issues, very sunlight readable, and I am very happy with it. I would certainly recommend it.
              Ah, that is different than the one I found on their main page...

Interesting.. I still don't know if I would order overseas though

Are the lilliputs really THAT bad?

Comment

i am still interested in the CarTFT CTF-700SH more than anything. I have gotten the 3m upgrade for the 700tsv I have. I will do that when I get back into town as long as the samples are shipped to me that is. Then if that is ****ty I will look into the new xenarc 702tsv's 1000 NIT supposedly and also look into the CarTFT CTF-700SH and make my decision on what I want to do. I think maybe the 702's with the 3m would be a good option depending upon how it turns out on the 700tsv. It's all going to come down to how it looks and what I think personally. Sunlight readability is pretty important to me because that is when I do most of my driving. I drive to work everyday, there and back, in the daylight and when classes start up at my university in september I will then again be driving in the sunlight again. Sunlight readability needs to be achieved for me in order for the car pc project to move forward.

Comment

ya know, I don't think it's that they are "bad". Some people have had some problems with the touchscreen going to crap for whatever reason, but I just think the CarTFT CTF-700SH is just better as far as clarity and readability in the sunlight. I have only seen demonstrations and heard experiences from others and this is what I have gathered. If I am going to be spending that much on a 7" touch screen (too much for it anyways) then I'm going to go with the one that is a little better and a little more expensive. Only makes sense.

Comment

That cartft one is $740.53, including VAT, but shipping is extra.

Hopefully they would take the VAT out, since it doesn't apply to overseas customers...

Comment

I haven't seen the new Xenarcs, but I know my CTF-700SH is much, much better than my Xenarc 700TSV ever was. The Xenarc was mostly unreadable in the sun, and the CTF-700SH is completely readable, and bright, even in the sunlight.
                      2005 Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe Black/Black
                      Core Duo CarPC
                      CarDomain page

Comment

I would like one too but for 675 or whatever ridiculous price they are is not worth it. That is way too much for something 7 inches wide with still some issues like major glare. If I paid that much it should be perfect.

Comment

Are OEM screens really transreflective (not doubting, i really don't know)? They've been around for years, but it seems like they've been sold as stand-alone screens only in the past year.
                          Progress - VIA EPIA SP8000 | 120 Opus Power Supply & Case | 1GB Ram | 120GB 2.5" Hard Drive | Bluetooth 2.0 | GPRS/3G | Wifi | Road Runner/LSX 2.0 (waiting for a day skin for 3.0) | iGuidance 4.0 | Lilliput 7"

Comment

transflective screens have to do with the layers on/in the screen. It allows for sunlight readability. I have seen and read that the transflective have more glare. Yes, I realize the screen is the most important part of it which is why I am being careful on what I do before I do my custom fabrication for the mounting in my car. Once that is done, I'm not going to want to change the screen ever. lol... to much work again. I do have an xenarc 700tsv, I am contemplating on a few choices here. I just put it in my car on a fairly bright day and with window tinting I have it's not too bad as far as readability. I am trying to get the materials for the 3m modification and see what the results are and if I'm not content with them, then I will go to options two and three which is get the 702tsv which is 1000 NIT or a transflective screen and sell my current 700tsv. I got a good price on it so I should probably come out even if I were to sell it. Although with those options I have to shell out a ridiculous amount of money which I don't want to do because really that's a lot for a screen. So... I will hunt for a used one or a great deal somewhere which means I probably won't get a good one anytime soon.

Anyone know if the 702tsv will fit behind a 700tsv molding? I'm pretty sure the molding on the 700tsv is a little smaller than the 702tsv but my molding will be chopped up except the very front so if the screen size fit in the same window and the buttons lined up that would be awesome because I could do the mod and now and if I was unhappy I could get the 702 in the future and if I still wasn't content I could send it in for the transflective to be done.

Comment

Ok... what is the cost of an upgraded tansflective? Just for the upgrade. Why wouldn't I want to the 702 then? I can the screen for atleast what I bought it for.

Comment

Working...
                              X