Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XENARC MDT-X7000 - Don't buy!

Hi everyone,

I've had the XENARC MDT-X7000 for several months now and I figured I'd make sure anyone who would be considering a purchase of one of these units should know the issues that you can expect:
    • The biggest one: The volume knob is trash. If you turn it slowly, you see the number increasing on the screen, 19.. 20... 21... but the actual volume doesn't apply until some random point in time later. So the volume will stay at 19 as the number on-screen increases until suddenly it jumps to 25. Same goes for turning the volume down. Makes it extremely difficult to dial into a volume.
    • Built-in on-screen interface is total trash. Thankfully if you are just using a computer, you don't need to deal with this interface very often. But if you plan on using the built-in radio, or watching a DVD, or changing settings, you're going to use the menu and it really sucks. It's slow, it's complicated, and it suffers from the same problems the volume knob does. (where stuff doesn't 'apply' until later)
    • The built-in DVD player is worthless. If you are buying the X7000 because of it's on-board DVD player, don't. It's absolutely horrible. It's slow, it freezes up, and it just isn't worth it's salt.
    • The audio quality leaves much to be desired. It's not that bad, but there's ground loop problems and the amp seems to cut out at higher volumes.
    • The cooling fan makes a noticeable whine. If the car is running you don't really hear it, but it's certainly not quiet.
    • The touchscreen disconnects constantly. If you bring up any on-screen menu except the volume menu, the touchscreen physically unplugs itself from the computer (you can hear it going duh-duh in Windows) and then reconnects itself afterward. Naturally, this creates a long delay, and sometimes it doesn't come back.
    • No 'Quick Access' button. If the fold-up touchscreen blocks some part of your car (in mine it blocks the temperature controls), there's no button to quickly fold it down so you can access them. You can use 'Angle Adjust', but it (1) disconnects the touchscreen, and (2) takes forever.
    • Rather poor build quality The two knobs on the front feel flimsy and cheap, and the other knob has fallen off on me on more than one occasion. The touchscreen mechanism seems pretty solid, but it's started making weird grinding noises on me...
    • Unpredictable behaviour If the power to the system is already "on" and then you start the car, 75% of the time the screen will go wonky and strange colours and patterns appear. To fix it, you need to turn it off and then turn it back on.
    • Long startup times From power-on to ready-to-use is about a minute. It spends a long time displaying the XENARC logo, then it takes even longer to get the video signal, and once it's finally ready the "Menu" text is still on-screen so you need to wait for that to go away before you can touch it.

It's not all negative, though:
    • Touchscreen The actual touchscreen is very good and very accurate and responsive.
    • Screen itself The image quality is very good, and even in sunlight you can read the display, even though it's not transflective.
    • DVD-ROM The USB-connected DVD ROM works well and I've had no problems installing software while driving.
    • Front USB ports These also work fine and there's no problems there.
    Read about my Car PC at www.avbrand.com/projects/carpc -- LED sign now functional!

I can pretty much echo everything that AvWuff has said.

Basically -- the display/touchscreen works -- the rest is complete crap.

How a product can be sold with this volume knob issue -- i'll never know...

Comment

Isn't this the same unit that has been completely recalled, and a firmware update was done to, and still not released by Xenarc a year later?

So if you have one, is this with the original firmware, or with sending it in to Xenarc and somehow getting v2?

Either way I wont be buying it, but might be good for others to know down the line.
      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

I spoke to Xenarc on the phone several times.

Their reps were sullen and uninterested, almost to the point of being rude. I felt like I was interrupting their nap by calling and asking questions. I figured out that there was a firmware update, but mine seems to already have it (Apparently it fixed an issue: If you left the unit in PC mode and turned it off, and back on, the PC audio would be gone until you switched modes away from PC and then back again... I don't have this problem)

I don't know if there are any newer firmwares.

I've heard nothing about a recall.
        Read about my Car PC at www.avbrand.com/projects/carpc -- LED sign now functional!

Comment

I have the same problem with my MDT-X7000 unit, that has been posted in other threads. Unfortunately I did not did the "homework" and proceeded to purchase the unit without make a research about. I firmly believe that Xenarc has been assuming an irresponsible position toward the customers by selling what is clearly a defective product. In my case I feel that I have been rip-off by them. I'm going to request a full refund, but i think it will be very difficult.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/mp3c...nowhere-2.html

Comment

Since posting, I know AvWuff has now installed a Pioneer Premiere headunit directly beneath the Xenarc making it completly out of the picture when it comes to audio and using it only for the screen -- that's it.

The audio quality was noticeably different -- by a huge factor. Clearly the amp circuitry in the Xenarc is at best cheap import garbage and nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by grinthock View Post
              The audio quality was noticeably different -- by a huge factor. Clearly the amp circuitry in the Xenarc is at best cheap import garbage and nothing else.
              I'm not really concerned about the amp section. Is there a pre-out from this unit that I can send to my pc? My sound will be handled by a 5.1 amp driven by an optical cable from the pc's spdif optical out. What I was interested in this unit, or for any unit for that matter, as long as I can have it;
              1. provide a decent TS that's got reasonable daytime visability,
              2. has a decent am/fm tuner section in it,
              3. have a reasonable CD/DVD unit

After waiting on the DWW6500 and seeing that flop and then the CTA650 that went belly up, I'm getting a little frustrated that after more than 2 years I still haven't installed my carpc in any vehicle yet. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. Is this technology that complicated to get sorted out?
              All I want is a reasonable solution that the DWW6500 and the CTA650 was supposed to address and I thought perhaps that the MDT-X700 was going to finally do this. Sounds like this may be another failed attempt at the same problem, or is it really? I could use some advice/direction.
              cheers,
              John
              http://gickr.com/results4/anim_5055e...a2b3b197c9.gif
              1990 RHD JDM 300ZX TT 2+2 5sp T-Top
              491RWHP / 18psi / 94 octane

Comment

Well, if you can't find anything else -- I guess go with the MDT -- but I dunno.

It does have preamp outs, but that means you're relying on the MDT to switch your audio for you. The AM/FM is worthless -- the interface looks like something out of an Atari and you have to switch away from your computer input (video also) to use the Radio. If you are really still considering, I can make a video of using the FM Radio in the Xenarc.

The touchscreen is decent, but the bugs are not -- the long startup time, the occasional "whoops, I don't feel like working right now! Close and reopen me!" gets really irritating, and more.

I'm gonna keep the X7000 until it breaks, and then I'll move to something better.

-av

Comment

Originally posted by AvWuff View Post
                  I'm gonna keep the X7000 until it breaks, and then I'll move to something better.
                  -av
                  Is there anything out there that is better?

I would dearly love to actually use my transflective display but I kept on procrastinating my install until there was a viable fm tuner out there. Since I'm not a frequent user here, I still don't know what to do about the fm question. I don't think they've got the bugs out of the hqct yet, do they? Have they addressed the problem about connectivity to your cars antenna? If those issues were solved, I'd jump onto the hqct and away I go with my install.
                  http://gickr.com/results4/anim_5055e...a2b3b197c9.gif
                  1990 RHD JDM 300ZX TT 2+2 5sp T-Top
                  491RWHP / 18psi / 94 octane

Comment

FM? Why? I listen to MP3s and then I have XM for when I want to get away from my own collection... I cant' stand FM -- the music is awful, the quality is generally awful, and it's really just annoying DJ's and advertising. I can't believe you'd hold out this long for FM!

Comment

Agreed -- FM radio sucks, do a nice XM setup and be done... Infact in my area, i'd rather have AM than FM (talk radio / news / weather / traffic / sports)

Trust me -- don't buy the Xenarc for the radio.... it's painful, and losing connection to the PC while the radio is on kinda defeats the entire purpose.

Comment

Hi Guys
                        Well Heres D BAD NEWS
                        I got the Screen and it worked for 2 DAYS before it gave up on me....
                        1... the gears move with jerks ... while extending at 1 point the gears slip.. and while retracting the screen ( at times ) fall horizontal and then retracts in ....
                        2... the BIGGER BAD NEWS.... It now shows ONLY BRIGHT WHITE BLANK DISPLAY...ie theres is no display ...just BRIGHT WHITE SCREEN......

Any 1 had this prob or can some 1 help .....

Thanks
                        Commell LV-677 DC 6 x 6" Mother Board
                        2.6 GHz; 1 Gb Ram
                        120 Gb Laptop HD
                        7" InDash Xenarc MTD - X7000 Screen
                        Gyration Mouse ; GPS Mouse ; ELM Scan ; TPMS
                        Parrot MK 6000 & iPhone
                        ----------
                        Re done the carputer...Into the Glove Box !!

Comment

Originally posted by vicky_obee View Post
                          Hi Guys
                          Well Heres D BAD NEWS
                          I got the Screen and it worked for 2 DAYS before it gave up on me....
                          1... the gears move with jerks ... while extending at 1 point the gears slip.. and while retracting the screen ( at times ) fall horizontal and then retracts in ....
                          2... the BIGGER BAD NEWS.... It now shows ONLY BRIGHT WHITE BLANK DISPLAY...ie theres is no display ...just BRIGHT WHITE SCREEN......

Any 1 had this prob or can some 1 help .....

Thanks
                          White screen usually signals a ribbon is loose.
                          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Hmm But how does d Ribbon get loose on its own... I mean i did not fight to pull or pish the screen....
                            And any idea how to fix in the GEAR slipping problem...

Thanx
                            Commell LV-677 DC 6 x 6" Mother Board
                            2.6 GHz; 1 Gb Ram
                            120 Gb Laptop HD
                            7" InDash Xenarc MTD - X7000 Screen
                            Gyration Mouse ; GPS Mouse ; ELM Scan ; TPMS
                            Parrot MK 6000 & iPhone
                            ----------
                            Re done the carputer...Into the Glove Box !!

Comment

If you just got it 2 days ago, it should still be under warranty. Send it back to Xenarc or whoever you bought it from, for repair.

Comment

Working...
                              X