Hideaway screen, anyone make rails?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hideaway screen, anyone make rails?

Just throwing some ideas around right now. I want to put a 5" or 5.6" monitor in my dd. I have a radio and below the radio I have a pocket/cubby hole to cover up the second din. Anyway I can put some type of sliders on the screen and on the pocket to have it slide out then flip down for a good viewing angle?

Originally posted by MAZDABOY View Post
    Just throwing some ideas around right now. I want to put a 5" or 5.6" monitor in my dd. I have a radio and below the radio I have a pocket/cubby hole to cover up the second din. Anyway I can put some type of sliders on the screen and on the pocket to have it slide out then flip down for a good viewing angle?
    I think you may find some nice sliding pieces, but will need to fab up most of the stuff yourself. I've never seen "bolt in" setups like that.
    2001 New Beetle Sport 1.8T, 14 PSI
    My Youtube Vids
    Active Member of vwvortex.com and newbeetle.org
    1st Carputer install in May, 1999

Comment

So you're doing exactly what I did. Essentially, I went to Home Depot and picked up some rails with ball bearings in them for a nice smooth glide, then mounted one horizontally along the bottom of the mounting cage. I welded another bracket in the back along the bottom for some support, then welded a hinge to the end of the rail. The screen (a Liliput 7") screwed into the hinge like it does on the stand it came with.
      Some caveats, maybe you should be concerned about:
      If your screen is big (like mine) and barely fits (like mine) make sure you have enough room. I had to cut down the screen's casing some, and have yet to find a suitable solution for patching that up.
      Also, having two points of mounting for the screen attaching to the hinge is going to be helpful. Mine only attaches by one point (and I can't really do much to fix it) so when the screw gets a little loose, the screen twists when I go over a bump or something.
      And finally, the cable going to the screen - I have to keep stuffing mine back inside before I can put the screen away, maybe you can come up with a more elegant solution. I'm more concerned about the fact that my computer keeps blue screening on long trips.

Mine doesn't fold "down" per-se. It was the original plan, but instead I had to make it flip over. It was the only way I could get this beast to fit in there, since mine is a bit too wide.

Also, I completely removed the pocket in doing so, since it was too small to hold the screen of course. I merely cut off the front of the pocket (mine has a little flip-down door) and glued magnets to the back of it and put some thin magnets where the pocket used to be, so it just kind of snaps on there. It looks completely stock with the screen inside.

Comment

Have any pics of your setup?

Comment

Originally posted by MAZDABOY View Post
          Have any pics of your setup?
          Took some for you. Pardon the mess.

"Stock mode" - doesn't look like anything is going on.

And then off comes the cover.

Out comes the screen.

The aforementioned ugliness (which I cannot see from the driver seat)

Rail going inside and cable.

More of the rail itself.

Rail from the top.

The cover from the back. It's ugly, but it works. Those are "Curiously strong magnets" I got for Christmas. They work great. The magnets on the inside lip they draw to are just a fridge magnet I cut with scissors.

The entire project was done on a budget to an extreme degree, which is why I didn't just buy one of those mechanical fold out screens. Plus, I wanted to park my car knowing I was showing off nothing more than my cheap stock Honda stereo. Not that my entire setup is worth much, but I don't live in a great area for not having your car broken into. It's kind of ugly looking, but it gets the job done of mp3 player/gps/whatever else I need.

Comment

Originally posted by l33der View Post
            Took some for you. Pardon the mess.

The entire project was done on a budget to an extreme degree, which is why I didn't just buy one of those mechanical fold out screens. Plus, I wanted to park my car knowing I was showing off nothing more than my cheap stock Honda stereo. Not that my entire setup is worth much, but I don't live in a great area for not having your car broken into. It's kind of ugly looking, but it gets the job done of mp3 player/gps/whatever else I need.
            Pardon the off topic here... but you can trim a piece of acrylic (plexi) and sand it perfect to fit on the side you cut away. It's wicked easy, and then just glue it in place and paint the housing up. Cost you maybe $5 or so.
            My Youtube Vids

Comment

That rail looks good. When you stand it up does it stay or does it like flop around?

Comment

Originally posted by zeusenergy View Post
                Pardon the off topic here... but you can trim a piece of acrylic (plexi) and sand it perfect to fit on the side you cut away. It's wicked easy, and then just glue it in place and paint the housing up. Cost you maybe $5 or so.
                Oh, I know. Here's the problem. That PCB's edge actually is a little longer than the edge of the plastic (by a tiny amount, but it counts) and so I would need the side cover to have a hole in it for the PCB to stick out. And there's no way I can add any material to that side and still have it fit. It fits *exactly* as it is. What I really should do eventually when I grow a pair is to make a whole new case myself out of fiberglass or something. The problem with that is that it is not budget or time friendly, so... I just live with it.

As for standing it up while pulled out - it falls. There's a bead to stop it from flipping too far forward but not backward (for obvious reasons). That's why I slide it back in while flipped up, then it stays just fine.

Comment

Oh, I know. Here's the problem. That PCB's edge actually is a little longer than the edge of the plastic (by a tiny amount, but it counts) and so I would need the side cover to have a hole in it for the PCB to stick out. And there's no way I can add any material to that side and still have it fit. It fits *exactly* as it is. What I really should do eventually when I grow a pair is to make a whole new case myself out of fiberglass or something. The problem with that is that it is not budget or time friendly, so... I just live with it.

As for standing it up while pulled out - it falls. There's a bead to stop it from flipping too far forward but not backward (for obvious reasons). That's why I slide it back in while flipped up, then it stays just fine.
                  Aha.... well good luck! Looks like you got a nice project ahead of you someday.
                  My Youtube Vids

Comment

thats a great design! i was thinking of doing sumthing similar but with a 7" laptop.

What is the rail connected to on the other side? and

Comment

You can buy hidden license plate kits that work like this. Here's one I've found for $60.

http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/prod...f5daea5b033163

I think it could be modified to hold a screen as long as its built sturdy enough. I'm going to try one when I put my carpc together. They even have a remote power operated one for $180.

Comment

Given the expected weight that thing is supposed to hold I'd be a little concerned about putting a screen on it, but I'd be interested in seeing the results.

Comment

Given the expected weight that thing is supposed to hold I'd be a little concerned about putting a screen on it, but I'd be interested in seeing the results.
                          I'd rather use generic robotics parts and some sheet metal to make my own, and use servos to operate it under a control circuit handmade for the application than to use a $180 plate holder......
                          My Youtube Vids

Comment

$180 is a little much, but I wouldn't mind spending the $60 and experimenting around with the manual spring loaded one. I may have my screen flip down rather than up, which makes me a little less concerned about weight.

Comment

Working...
                            X