Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Touchscreen removal - Performance improvement?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touchscreen removal - Performance improvement?

Just wondering if there was anyone out there that has forgone the touch screen in favor of some other input device, and realized an improvement in sunlight readability by removing the touch screen from one of the garden variety monitors (non-transreflective Zenarc's, Lili's). I own a 701TSV, and while it has performed well mechanically as an input device, I am frustrated by the sunlight readability and lack of affordable options in that regard. I've even considered (and still am) a DIY optical bond for my touch screen to the LCD, but would like to try alternative input devices first (If I end up liking that route, then there's no need to take a chance on ruining my monitor).
    I have too much time and too little aggravation in my life, so I built a carPC. ;)

Originally posted by hithere View Post
    Just wondering if there was anyone out there that has forgone the touch screen in favor of some other input device, and realized an improvement in sunlight readability by removing the touch screen from one of the garden variety monitors (non-transreflective Zenarc's, Lili's). I own a 701TSV, and while it has performed well mechanically as an input device, I am frustrated by the sunlight readability and lack of affordable options in that regard. I've even considered (and still am) a DIY optical bond for my touch screen to the LCD, but would like to try alternative input devices first (If I end up liking that route, then there's no need to take a chance on ruining my monitor).
    You can always use another input device like the space navigator or hardware buttons, but to me they can never replace a touchscreen.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

I agree with Toaster.... In the beginning I used hand held mice to control the rear screens, I was to lazy to run the USB cables for the screens. In the end I connected all touchscreen which has made it easy. With a touchscreen you simply touch an area and it goes to that area. With all other input devices you have to scroll the mouse to get to the point you want to press or interact with. When I had the mouse setup, my touchscreen in the front was up and running and if I touched my screen the mouse would jump onto it, but in order to get the mouse back onto the second screen, they had to hold the mouse to the right till the mouse scrolled from screen to screen. If you remove the touch panel, I dont think it will help to much with glare. i have a 10.2 rear view screen with no touch panel and it suffers from glare also. I suggest tinting the windows of your car.
      Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
      4X MK808b
      3x Perixx Touchpads
      3x 7 inch Screens
      1X 7 inch motorized Screen
      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

- -For me, I took a page from the OEM BMW set up. I recessed my NON-Touchscreen as they do in the new BMW's. I use a touchpad that I intergrated into my ash trey hide away compartment. My monitor is an 11.2 Tview widescreen. I love the set up and because I sit back in my seat and my dash is further than an arms length away, it keeps from constantly moving back and forth touching the screen.

Plus I don't have the hand prints on my monitor like others do. $170 for an 11.2" screen vs. $200 plus for 7" touch is by far a better deal. And if you want touch down the line, then you can just and an overlay touch panel and roll on. Just my personal 2 cents.- -
        - -Take a good look at yourself while at the computer, if your in a t-shirt and talking [email protected] on the internet. Chances are you fall in the "Internet Tough Guy" catagory.- -

Comment

i properly installed space navigator/bluetooth keyboard combo could replace a touchscreen easily. It wouldnt be as fast as the touchscreen interface but it would work as well.
          mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
          Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
          Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Originally posted by Jfive96 View Post
            - -For me, I took a page from the OEM BMW set up. I recessed my NON-Touchscreen as they do in the new BMW's. I use a touchpad that I intergrated into my ash trey hide away compartment. My monitor is an 11.2 Tview widescreen. I love the set up and because I sit back in my seat and my dash is further than an arms length away, it keeps from constantly moving back and forth touching the screen.

Plus I don't have the hand prints on my monitor like others do. $170 for an 11.2" screen vs. $200 plus for 7" touch is by far a better deal. And if you want touch down the line, then you can just and an overlay touch panel and roll on. Just my personal 2 cents.- -
            You know, I always wondered why they put their screens so far back. I think it looks odd. Plus I would think a luxury car would put some effort into their screen design, rather then just being lazy and recessing it. To get the 11.2 in there, did you really have to mod the dash?

Also I agree about the finger prints. Since mine is still in the build stage, it is filled with prints. i hate that so much.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
            4X MK808b
            3x Perixx Touchpads
            3x 7 inch Screens
            1x Win 7 PC

Comment

- -Recessed is the way to go!!!!- -

Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
              You know, I always wondered why they put their screens so far back. I think it looks odd. Plus I would think a luxury car would put some effort into their screen design, rather then just being lazy and recessing it. To get the 11.2 in there, did you really have to mod the dash?

Also I agree about the finger prints. Since mine is still in the build stage, it is filled with prints. i hate that so much.
              - -The new 2010 7 series has a 10" or 10.2" widescreen in it. It is touchscreen I think but also works mainly with the iDrive in the console. I think it is more apart of the design of the dash board. However it works out that they(OEM) don't have to use a transflective screen and by being recessed keeps the sun off and the screen clean. Plus I have 5% tint all the way around and light just can get through.

I had a 9.2" widescreen and it was a perfect fit. The new monitor was about an inch taller. A little "surgery" was needed to get it in.- -
              - -Take a good look at yourself while at the computer, if your in a t-shirt and talking [email protected] on the internet. Chances are you fall in the "Internet Tough Guy" catagory.- -

Comment

Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post

Take a drive in a Lexus with Gen5+ nav and be amazed at the screen quality and sunlight readability. It is definately VGA or better, full colour, capacitive touchscreen, and is direct sunlight readable (not sure if transflective or reflective...). I have not received a response to my question to Lexus about the screen though, but I sort of expected that.

Really, I am not just saying it, actually go to your local Lexus dealership and sit in an RX with nav disregarding the annoying sales people.
                15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                  Take a drive in a Lexus with Gen5+ nav and be amazed at the screen quality and sunlight readability. It is definately VGA or better, full colour, capacitive touchscreen, and is direct sunlight readable (not sure if transflective or reflective...). I have not received a response to my question to Lexus about the screen though, but I sort of expected that.

Really, I am not just saying it, actually go to your local Lexus dealership and sit in an RX with nav disregarding the annoying sales people.
                  - -LMAO. I work in the parts department for a dealer and I see it first hand every day.- -

Comment

- -LMAO. I work in the parts department for a dealer and I see it first hand every day.- -
                    So can you maybe disassemble an RX when it comes it next and try to grab the LCD specs?

Just tell them it is a warranty upgrade or something.

Comment

- -Sorry I'm part of the Big Three.- -

Comment

- -Funny thing thou, my Tview 11.2 widescreen the monitor is a Sharp.- -

Comment

- -Sorry I'm part of the Big Three.- -
                          Then you dont see it everyday. The screen quality is leaps and bounds ahead of anything in the big three. And I have seen Lincoln and Cadillac and so on screens and they dont look anything near as good. Domestics' screens look like my lilliput with the 3M upgrade.

Same like when I saw the mp3car true transflective for the first time at a meet, it blew me away, I didnt realize there was anything better than what I had with the 3M upgrade. Then after getting a new RX with nav I was stunned again by the screen.

Comment

- -I will call me Lexus contact and see what I can find out.- -

Comment

When I put my car together, it really didnt concern me because my install is so big. I have issues though now that the screen is in place. The front windows are not tinted, but the rear windows are. I think if I tint the fronts, it will be alot better. I am really worried about the 2 dash top screens though, they sit way up at the front.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                              4X MK808b
                              3x Perixx Touchpads
                              3x 7 inch Screens
                              1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Working...
                              X