Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendation for single dash lcd

Hi to all

i've been reading the forum for a couple of days now, and i decided to ask you guys from your experiences.

first, what i want:
    Basically, since i have only a single din to use, i need something that comes at least RADIO-AMP-LCD.

Searching here and there, i find a couple of chinese motorized in dash with radio fm, but many of the comments here says that all this are simply crap.
    another item i've found is the lilliput GL701, which also had poor reviews and a lot of bad comments and problems.

that keep me only one option, the xenarc MDT-X7000, but i also read a lot of poor comments about it, volume change delays, screen showing rare colors when ignition of the car, etc.

do you know if this has been solved from Xenarc?

The most complete thing out there is this model, which is great for the wife who is not very techy and can still hear the radio or a cd without even open the display, but i dont want to spend $800 and get a piece which will work whenever he likes.

Is there any other products coming out?

Not that I'm aware of. The motorized fold out screens have not had stellar reviews.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

so basically for cars with a single din, whats the recommendation?

Comment

Fabrication.

It sucks having to do it, but with single din, it's really your only other option other than a fold out. There's plenty of knowledge and good tutorials in the fabrication section you can check out.
        CarPC:
        1.8GHz Northwood, Intel 845 Mobo, 512MB DDR, 1x20GB + 1x160GB, Intel GPU, SB Live 5.1

Sound System:
        Phoenix Gold RSD 65cs 6.5" Drivers, Infinity Tweets, Pioneer 305DVC 12", PPI Sedona 630IX, Alpine MRP-M500

Comment

been looking the posts on the fabrication and i couldnt find any about a single motorized dash, only one who is making it but without any schematics yet and its seems very hard to do it.

to give you a better idea of my space, i'm attaching a picture of my dashboard.

any help or ideas are welcome
          Attached Files

Comment

Need to move those heat and AC controls up above the radio and put the screen there.

Or, buy one of the motorized foldouts and if it works, it works. If it quits working, use the screen to fab a solution where the controls are.
            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
            Want to:

Comment

thanks man!

you recommend this one vs the 7000 model?

if so, then the only AM/FM module is the one for sale on the store? is easy to put together and incorporate it into centerfuse?

Comment

on the xenarc model 700, i saw a couple of pictures that show the lower part empy, so i'm thinking to add it a blue ray dvd player (not sure how many computer power needs to play a disc), but this on ebay are great!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Blu-Ray-Player-L...3A1%7C294%3A50

Comment

I point you to the mp3car listing only because I know they've dealt with issues on motorized screens and they went to manual flip out for that reason. This is most likely the *least* problematic way to do single DIN. Note that it is not motorized, though. I've never used this model, so YMMV.

I can vouch for Xenarcs in general. After my first purchase of a crappy, no name screen that sucked, I bought a Xenarc in 2004 and the display itself has been rock solid through hot and cold. I have had to replace the 4 wire touchscreen overlay once, but that's not a Xenarc issue. They tend to wear out after a few years of hard use. This one has the 5 wire resistive touch which and the specs say it lasts a lot longer than the 4 wire touch.

Note also that you cannot control the vertical tilt. Looking at your dash, that most likely won't be a problem, but you never know.

I've also seen on this forum a few years ago where someone did the mod to a manual display and put a slot load DVD player below the screen. It worked out nice.
                  Want to:

Comment

I have a k301 and it works great. I bought it from a member here and I've had no problems with it at all. Before that I had the Alpine IVA-D310 which was good as well, but cannot be used as a car PC.

While fabrication of your own with a screen would probably be your best bet, I am not completely against the idea of using a motorized screen. It is some work to fabricate, but in the end worth it and a nice accomplishment.

Comment

ok, and what about the radio? is there a workaround? basically because my wife normally likes to hear AM/FM radio, and in order to put the screen i must take out the stock stereo...

Comment

If radio does not have a line in then replace it.
                        Move your radio to the ashtray ( quit smoking if necessary )

Mount touch screen on fabricated single din support partially blocking hazard button.
                        Mount can be a stiff hinge that allows screen to be pushed down for access to buttons.

Comment

there is no ashtray on the car, there is no phisical space to move the radio, thats why i need to replace one with the other

Comment

this one seems to be the way to go:
                            http://store.mp3car.com/HQCT_1_0_Hig..._p/com-009.htm

the only question is, using centrafuse, will the radio play in background while doing other stuff, like navigation (using garmin maps) or surfing the web (via tethering with an iphone)?
                            or when the software opens one thing, completely closes the other?

i have the software installed here on my laptop as a trial, but i dont have a radio fm, or gps, so i cant test that part...

Comment

Not sure how CF does it, but Navigon on this thread works a treat to attenuate the music when the Street nav makes an announcement
                              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/road...tenuation.html

I don't think it is RR specific, it has some options to integrate with RR to change to the GPS screen, but I did not like it and disabled the screen switching.
                              RodW
                              2007 Toyota Hilux with a CarPC..

Worklog: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...ota-hilux.html
                              OziExplorer GPS Embedded in RR: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/sb-s...iexplorer.html

Comment

Working...
                              X