Touchscreen vs. keyboard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touchscreen vs. keyboard

I was planning on getting a monitor soon, and i would prefer a touchscreen, but one thing i was wondering was; if your playing a DVD fullscreen and you want to esc out you don't have an esc key, and clicking on the movie (or touching it in this case) it would just bring up the player controls. Another case would be the visualizations you can have in winamp, you use the esc key to get out of those, so is there a way to program it so touching it would act like hitting esc on the keyboard?

Re: Touchscreen vs. keyboard

Originally posted by GTPmp3PC
    I was planning on getting a monitor soon, and i would prefer a touchscreen, but one thing i was wondering was; if your playing a DVD fullscreen and you want to esc out you don't have an esc key, and clicking on the movie (or touching it in this case) it would just bring up the player controls. Another case would be the visualizations you can have in winamp, you use the esc key to get out of those, so is there a way to program it so touching it would act like hitting esc on the keyboard?
    What DVD player are you using? I use Power DVD XP. touching the screen twice exits full screen. Touching the video twice again full screens the video. Touching the PowerDVD program on the task bar minimize the DVD player. It all depends on what program you're using. Touch screen is basically left clicking the mouse. Anything you can do by left clicking the mouse, you can do with touch screen.
    NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
    If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

yeah... I mean, the only problem with a touchscreen there is that when your touching it... its gonna get fingerprints on the screen... dont know if you care, I dont, but I have a few co workers that go bonkers over it.
      1995 SL stock
      Working On: GMAT
      Given Up On: Custom motorized lcd

Comment

Originally posted by CA 3000GT
        yeah... I mean, the only problem with a touchscreen there is that when your touching it... its gonna get fingerprints on the screen... dont know if you care, I dont, but I have a few co workers that go bonkers over it.
        I've read so many posts by you about fingerprints on touch screen. I too have concerns about that. There is a simple solution. Do what I did. When you buy the monitor brand new, it comes with a protective sticky film. take the film off and cut it to the exact size of the screen and stick it back on. That's it. I even use ball point pin as stylus. Sure there are pin marks on the film but I don't care. It's only on the protective film. I pilled off the film to replace it with another, the original touch surface still looks brand new. No finger prints, dirt or smears. Even if you don't have touch screen, dumbass people are still gonna touch it just to see if its a touch screen.
        If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

Maybe there's something wrong with me, but I've never had fingerprints on touchscreens.

Comment

heh heh, do I post that much about fingerprints on touchscreens?
            Thats funny, because, its not really something I mind, just something I anticipated minding if I did get a touchscreen. I guess its just because one of my friends whom I work with, will positivly holler if somone touches his screen. I either cant see prints, or dont mind them. I'll take this as a queue to worry about that issue less... and that said. I think I gotta get a touchscreen now all I have to do is scrape up the funds.
            1995 SL stock

Comment

well if there is no way to make touching the touchscreen act like hitting the esc key, if i hooked some kind of remote up to it, could i add an aux key to act like esc, or would getting a small keyboard be a better route?

Comment

Originally posted by Euclid
                Maybe there's something wrong with me, but I've never had fingerprints on touchscreens.
                Baby.. it's all about how you use your fingers. I use the top of my index finger and I have no problems with marks.
                SOON THERE.

Comment

hmm, perhaps its all in the style.
                  1995 SL stock

Comment

Oh heres another idea. grow your right index fingernail long like 12MM then cut it to a sharp point and use it as a stylus. You'll get a more accurate touch and no finger prints. If that's too girlie then modify a batting glove with sharp plastic point on the index finger and use that as a stylus.

Comment

do plam pens work on xenarc touchscreens, or does it need your finger to be touching it?

Comment

A palm pen, a gloved hand, a pencil...anything will work. Xenarc screens use a resistive touchscreen so any pressure on the screen will activate it. Capacitive screens are what require a hand to physically touch it.
                        Shuttle SV-24 (Plexiglass case)
                        5 Gig Laptop HD (Now Dead)
                        256 Ram
                        466 Celeron (1 Gig Toasted)
                        7" 16:9 touchscreen LCD
                        Firewire Slot Load DVD
                        700W Inverter (Power to spare)
                        Monster Cap
                        Sproggy Shutdown Controller
                        Custom Fiberglass Console (Idea Junked)

Still Need: GPS, and some kick a@# software!

Comment

Yah...and during the winter months sometimes I come out to my car, fire up the computer. Then touch my capacitive touchscreen and hear a *zap* of ESD hitting it. She doesn't like that very much and I always have to re-calibrate it after this happens.

Comment

Working...
                          X