raw lcd's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raw lcd's

When you buy a raw lcd, are you getting everything except the monitor housing, or do you have to buy the vga connections, or whatnot, as well? Although i check this site religiously, i'm not very familiar with some of the terminology. thanks in advance.

hmmm, well, when you buy a raw or OEM lcd (just the lcd) off ebay, its just the pane of glass itself. In an lcd there are several components

1: lcd
    2: lcd controller, this provides a vga, or rca (tv), interface
    3: backlight, this is the thing that lights the lcd up.

Unless you are up for blowing some serious time and money finding a controller (they arnt cheap) you dont want an lcd... this is why laptop lcds are nearly useless. If you have any questions, ask the seller what sort of interface the lcd has.. if its vga or rca, or whatever your looking for, then great, if its just a wire or ribbon or some odd plug, its not going to be worth the effort & money to find the interface.

Your best bet may well be buying a lcd from digitalww. if you can afford it, get the one with the touchscreen, thats what Im saving my $ for.
    1995 SL stock
    Working On: GMAT
    Given Up On: Custom motorized lcd

Comment

thanks for the advice CA 3000gt

Yeah, those Xenarcs sure are nice...but pricey. What i'm trying to find is a plain 7 or 8" vga lcd that i can fabricate into the 1.5 din opening when i remove the stock radio. Touchscreen really isn't a high priority either, but the screen must be vga. I have to be able to read the tiny text in winamp. I've been searching around, but nothing worthwhile so far.

Comment

hey. Im actually going for the TM-701L rca. Have you seen the pictures of those lcds in the thread
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ghlight=TM701L

Have a look there, thats without upping the font, without any tweaks at all. In all honety while I was dead set on VGA for a long time, Im seriously going for digitalww's rca, here why:

-No matter what monitor Im using, the fonts going to have to be big for me to be able to actually use it while Im driving. I have good vision, but in most cases, this thing is going to only get a side-glace every once in a while.. so Im thinking, huge font, and big easily pressed buttons... Xenarcs or TM701L the fonts going to be large... I look at those screen shots of the TM701L and it looks pretty nice and clear to me, the big fonts seem perfect.. so Im thinking.. is the higher quality of the Xenarcs going to be wasted?

- Movies will look about the same on Xenarcs or TM701L

-After a lot of thought on interface, (see interface section) Im really likeing the touchscreen idea.. its just very easy to use... no car mods, no special fabrication that all to often become hacks.
        I mean, I want a great screen, but the most important thing is that my car as a whole looks nice.. and what use is a perfect screen if the install doesnt look good. in-dash-fold-out is a sure shot.

- I can get a in-dash TM701L touchscreen combo for over a hundred less then a stick-on-top-of-dash Xenarcs. I mean, how accident prone is some little glass pane stuck on a moving object? seems like its just asking to break.

Anyhow, best of luck
        1995 SL stock
        Working On: GMAT
        Given Up On: Custom motorized lcd

Comment

Working...
        X