LCD Brightness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD Brightness

How hard would it be to upgrade an LCD's birghtness and what would be involved? The backlights, inverters, what? Or is it completely dependant on the LCD.

I'm just looking at some 100 nit 8.4's and thinking can I do the upgrade and save $400?

I think its just the backlights... as long as you find one that works with your inverter...

The thing is.. its one of the projects that while it might save you some money, its going to take a lot of time and effort, and there are a lot of details involved, that all have to be very exact... and a little bit of delicate work.. You may be way beyond me in terms of technical know how, I know a bunch of folks on this board are, I basically know how to solder, but stay away from most things that are that low level because its hard enough putting together all the parts in a car computer... without having a subproject of building a part....

if something slips up, a screwdriver slips while prying the backlight off the lcd... or say, by mistake the wrong backlight is ordered, there is no money saved... I would avoid doing that sort of thing if you can..

What about going for a stealth install this time around? didnt you have some trouble before with theft?
    1995 SL stock
    Working On: GMAT
    Given Up On: Custom motorized lcd

Comment

yeah... but both times the LCD was retracted in the dash. I'm more concerned now with making my ride a HARD target.

Comment

I was thinking a similar thing ddt, and found this stuff:

http://cms.3m.com/cms/US/en/2-136/iz...html?noflash=1

The stuff is pretty expensive (around $35 a sheet), but is meant to be installed between the LCD itself and the backlight, and supposedly increases the screen brightness by up to 60%.

Just thought this research may be helpful to someone.

Comment

Thats interesting. I wonder if digitalww would install that for me when I buy from him. Of course I would give him extra labor charges but that would be worth it. It would make it look like a 1k lcd.

Thanks for posting the link!
          Maroon Monte Carlo In process of Being Pimped Out.

Comment

that's friggin sweet... I'm getting some.

Comment

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Comment

A lot of lcds are not actually "backlit," and instead are lit from the side by cold cathode light bulbs, which is why the edges are often thicker on two of the four sides of an lcd. the problem with increasing the amount of brightness requires that the screen can deepen its contrast by a similar amount, or you'll just end up washing out the entire screen.
                -Nick

Comment

Well we'll see what the film does. I talked to a guy who's used it before and he said he wasn't impressed, but I'm going to try it out regardless.

Comment

Please post your findings. I would be interested if it's worth it.
                    Aura MR62 (F and R)
                    My Current MP3s
                    IamDefiler.com

Comment

Originally posted by Defiler
                      Please post your findings. I would be interested if it's worth it.
                      It might be a little while. I have to settle with the insurance company, buy a new car, collect parts for a new system, then install it.

Comment

Originally posted by ddt
                        It might be a little while. I have to settle with the insurance company, buy a new car, collect parts for a new system, then install it.
                        I'll look for the post next year some time...
                        Aura MR62 (F and R)
                        My Current MP3s
                        IamDefiler.com

Comment

well.... I'm shooting for next month.

Comment

check out http://www.man-machine.com/. they perform various brightness enhancements. You can change the backlight (if it's commonly accessible), upgrade the inverter (it'll kill the backlight faster though), or upgrade the optical films inside. Putting anti-reflective coating will also help.

Comment

And have you seen the prices those guys charge? No thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X