No announcement yet.

Selecting a monitor for my application!

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selecting a monitor for my application!

I know I am new, so please don't flame me to search! I have been reading for a few weeks on here and my car forum ( and I am debating starting a Car-pc project! I am not new to computers, but I am new to car-pcs.

I do not want a single or double din monitor to try to "drop right in" to be car - even if I did, it doesn't exist really.

I'm looking for a 7 or 8" touchscreen monitor that will fit within my dash trim. I have 7.5"W X 5"H before I need to start trimming, and the MAX I could go is 8" x 5.5" (don't want to make a whole new trim piece, but a bezel would be fine.) I also live in northern NY where -20C is common in winter, therefore I need a monitor that will perform in colder climates.

I am looking to spend no more than $400 or so on the monitor, so even though I'd love a transflective, it's not quite in my budget. I would prefer an 8" over a 7" (which seems to limit my options) because I believe I have the room for it, and everyone says that 8" screens are FAR better to use.

Here are some of the options I have found:
    8" TM8200 from onvon (I know I can get this from gooddeals, but there were alot of complaints about customer service here)
    Has good resolution, contrast, view angle and operating temperature.

Phylon 8" Open frame
    Same pros as above, slightly more expensive and doesn't come w/ IR sensor/remote. (I can build one for the computer anyway) I havn't found alot of info on this brand, however.

8" Lilliput 809GL (LED)

7" Lilliput 629GL (LED)

I know there are others, but these are the ones that have jumped out at me. As I said, I will be removing the screens from them and I am undecided if I want to use buttons or not - I will decide that after I pick a monitor.

I did not list xenarc because the descriptions say operating temperature is above freezing. If I am incorrect please tell me. I know lilliput has alot of people complaining about touchscreens dying after 1-2 years. I believe that's an inexpensive fix, as long as I make sure the screen is removable from my bezel. Right now the cheapest one is my favorite because it seems to have good reviews, and because its 1/2 the price of all the others! Please feel free to recommend more that fit my criteria.

**I also read that touchscreens aren't always the best way to go, and that your setup will last longer if you get a regular TFT and hook up a mouse/controller w/ buttons and a keyboard. I am not opposed to this, and may do this ON TOP of the touchscreen, but I like the idea of having a touchscreen, since I've never owned one.

Thanks for looking, please help me!