Auto Switching for Back Up Camera with Lilliput

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Switching for Back Up Camera with Lilliput

I have an EBY-701 that does not allow auto switching. I've been up and down these forums looking for an easy solution but most involve soldering up some funky board and writing a PIC program or whatever.

So...I'm looking for something like a cheesebox or auto switching device that won't put a big hurt on video output quality. Take a look at some I've found and tell me if it would work or not please.

Or post up other solutions that don't involve rocket science or c++ knowledge.

Aten Tech VS-201
    http://www.nextag.com/Aten-Technolog...95/prices-html

Generic Video Switcher (only has RCA input and output which I'd need to convert to for input)
    http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=451

Not sure how far you want to go with this but if you have the time you can sell your Lilliput and get a Xenarc which does have auto switching. The older styles of Xenarc are probably the same price as the newer Lilliputs.
    Ampie Case
    2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
    256 MB DDR2 PC5400
    Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
    Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
    M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

I actually considered that but I've already done fiberglass and other fab work into my overhead console on my Honda Element that's specific to the monitor.

I wasn't planning on a camera until my wife drove a Lexus loaner car with one and insists we have one. We have a child on the way so I'm all for it as well.

Comment

Interesting BUT it is not obvious how it would hook-up

The first one only has VGA input/output so how would one hook-up a camera that is usually RCA or BNC.

The other one has only RCA in/out so how to hook-up the VGA touchscreen?

I don't think you can simply get a VGA to RCA (or viceversa) adaptor, it has to be an "active" conversion from VGA to composite or viceversa - then again, i could be totally wrong! I'm going to subscribe to this one.
        OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
        Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
        Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
        BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
        M2-ATX Power Supply
        RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
        Windows XP SP3

Comment

I was looking to do the same thing with my set up a couple a months ago and had done a ton a research into this. As you mentioned the options for the lili aren't so "hook-up" friendly. In the end I thought to myself.. now here I am trying to figure out a way to make pushing a button that's less than 2 feet away from me automatic . In the end, I just soldered a momentary button onto the lili button board and put that button on my screen bezel. I have even thought of actually relocating the button to my shifter so it's even easier to access. This set up has worked fine for me so far.

In any case, I'm subscribing to this thread to see if there's any useful ideas to simplify.

Comment

Well here a question I have, on the EBY-701 wiring it has a RCA video in, the two audio RCA's and then some sort of barrel plug power input aside from the separate power connector for the screen. Is this for auto switching? I say this because when you go to the hidden menu via the remote you have an option to turn on Auto Switching and setting the default input. Could it be possible that the EBY-701 DOES have auto switching it just requires a separate 12V signal to switch?

Another reason I throw this out is because in the link below is states rear view camera input.

http://www.carlcd.net/.sc/ms/dd/Touc...NP%5E2FC%5E2FT

I can't find my manual or any manual online for the love of god for this thing

Comment

Well I found the Aten Tech VS-201 super cheap on Ebay slightly used so I'll give it a go and post results when I try it out.

Comment

Originally posted by VegasHB View Post
                Well here a question I have, on the EBY-701 wiring it has a RCA video in, the two audio RCA's and then some sort of barrel plug power input aside from the separate power connector for the screen. Is this for auto switching? I say this because when you go to the hidden menu via the remote you have an option to turn on Auto Switching and setting the default input. Could it be possible that the EBY-701 DOES have auto switching it just requires a separate 12V signal to switch?

Another reason I throw this out is because in the link below is states rear view camera input.

http://www.carlcd.net/.sc/ms/dd/Touc...NP%5E2FC%5E2FT

I can't find my manual or any manual online for the love of god for this thing
                If it's anything like the Lili 629, that setting only give you the option to star the screen in either aux or main, they do not auto switch. To switch, you got to press a button; which, as said above, is easy enough to do.
                OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
                Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
                Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
                BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
                M2-ATX Power Supply
                RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
                Windows XP SP3

Comment

I say this because when you go to the hidden menu via the remote you have an option to turn on Auto Switching and setting the default input.
                  There were some threads that discussed this hidden menu. I thought when enabled, it sensed an input signal on the reversing camera input and there was no need for a signal from the reversing lights to trigger the change.

The idea behind the Cheesebox (now discontinued) was to use a relay on the reversing lights in place of the manual switch. I wish I could have found a similar devices as I would have done this by now so instead I'm one of those idiots that are diving in to micro controllers and code. I got it all sorted, I just have not got it all together and in the car.

Be careful with buying any monitor to replace your current one. My Xenarc 706TSA does not have the autoswitching feature but a new controller box in the next 6 months or so is on it's way

Looking at what you have bought, you are not out of the woods. You now need a composite video to VGA adapter as the link you posted to it was referring to analog VGA signals, not composite video/camera signals. (ie.RCA video input at on eend and VGA output on the other)
                  RodW
                  2007 Toyota Hilux with a CarPC..

Worklog: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...ota-hilux.html
                  OziExplorer GPS Embedded in RR: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/sb-s...iexplorer.html

Comment

When I enable the auto switching in the hidden menu it still doesn't switch. I had my Iphone with TV out and computer running and no luck. I messed with it for a good while but nothing worked.

Anyone know what the power barrel plug is for that's on the harness? I'm wondering if it just needs a separate 12v signal into that to switch.

As for the unit I bought I know it'a a reach and i'll need a power converter and RCA to VGA for the camera. Too much work really but I'm already committed.

Comment

What you can do, is to get a composite to usb and use the PC for camera.

But then the PC has to be on to get Video....
                      My car installation mp3car thread "showing off project"

Comment

Anyone know what the power barrel plug is for that's on the harness? I'm wondering if it just needs a separate 12v signal into that to switch.
                        do you mean the plug that connects to the VGA/ Touchscreen USB? If I recall correctly, all my 701 has is the composite RCA, plug for VGA/USB, and 12V power.

Comment

Well there's a barrel plug as well as this pic shows (black plug on right of RCA's). So you have the power going into the side of the screen which you can't really see and then another power type plug on the harness. No clue what that is for.

Comment

Well there's a barrel plug as well as this pic shows (black plug on right of RCA's). So you have the power going into the side of the screen which you can't really see and then another power type plug on the harness. No clue what that is for.

Both the power connector and the extra one do the same thing, for instance I power my lilliput from that extra connector, that way there is only one cord to detach to take the screen out of my truck. I think it might be for daisy chaining screens from one power source, but I could be wrong.
                            "Mess with the best, die like the rest."
                            Work Log --> Old Car (Totaled)
                            Work Log v2 --> New Car (Totaled)
                            Work Log v3 --> GMC Suburban K2500 (Engine died)
                            Work Log v4.5 --> 05 Toyota Tundra DC SR5

Comment

I think that is the sound input for the built in speaker. At least it is on my 629GL

Comment

Working...
                              X