Powering a 52" plasma incar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powering a 52" plasma incar

This particular display, a samsung hp-r4262, has an internal power supply, would a true sine wave invertor be the obvious answer? Would anyone consider cracking it open to try and figure out if the power supply converts to 12v and try a regulated power supply? On the specs it says it requires 380w to run. If an invertor is the best option, any recommendations on a model?

think an led lit lcd will be much more energy efficent...
    MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6 View Post
      That's not what he was asking...

digitalmayhem I wouldn't crack it open if I were you, probably just use a true sine and let it do its own power conversion inside to avoid causing any damage. Look into Xantrex Pro-sine inverters. We use them at work and they rock.
      "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
      RevFE
      My Shop

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6 View Post
        I TOTALLY CONCUR, I would never try such tom foolery in my own vehicle. I "consult" (google for money) for a sound shop, and this guy came in with a van, a 52" plasma, and $2000 and said make this happen. I told him i would investigate the best method.

Originally posted by malcom2073 View Post
        digitalmayhem I wouldn't crack it open if I were you, probably just use a true sine and let it do its own power conversion inside to avoid causing any damage. Look into Xantrex Pro-sine inverters. We use them at work and they rock.
        Thank u malcolm....Like i said, it needs about 380w of power, would this be a good choice u think?

http://www.manventureoutpost.com/mar...oducts_id=7701

Comment

If you have money, you can't go wrong with this one (This and the 1800W version of the same one are the ones we use)
          http://www.xantrex.com/productcart/p...&idproduct=213

It survives cranking on diesel engines even, and it would give you power to spare, the 400 looks like it would work as long as you never go over 400W.
          "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
          RevFE
          My Shop

Comment

That invertor is pretty sexy....good, i have some options to give him. He is trying to get me to work instore and kinda be resident dork. Im in detroit, and these guys are great at making cars go boom, and that's about it.

Comment

just make sure his alternator can cope with supplying the load needed, as well as normal vehicle load.

nothing worse than driving at night finding out you cant have lights on and drive the van / car about.

Comment

I didn't look into the power system, only saw the van for a couple minutes, but i did see it has 10 - 12" subwoofers in the back supposedly getting 1000w rms each, what's another 400w lol

Comment

yeah and thats give or take 30A of load there,
                  well might be the difference between his battery re charging when hes driving or not, not something you want to have to pay for later if he comes back unhappy

Comment

I would recomend you calling the customer and get some more specs from his car.

1. Have he done something with the alternator, or is it stock?
                    2. Multiplle batteries?
                    3. Get as mutch specs about sound system as possible. (if he have two subs drawing 1000W each, what do the rest of the system run on?).

I would recommend a deep-cycle battery (or two), and perhaps an upgraded alternator. (or, if space available, a multiple alternator setup.. many big cars have loads of space under the trunk).

I have a total of 2500W drawn when my sound system is on, and that by itself draws to much from the battery.. All sorts of weird electrical problems accours when the battery starts to run low... Pull out the fuse for the system, and drive for an hour, and everything is back to normal again...

Oh... btw: You should allso check with the customer on how much "irreversible damage" you can do to the vehicle. Mounting a big screen demands realy secure monting brackets.

Comment

I will see the vehicle this afternoon, i will try and take some pictures. Irreversible damage is not an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalmayhem View Post
                        I didn't look into the power system, only saw the van for a couple minutes, but i did see it has 10 - 12" subwoofers in the back supposedly getting 1000w rms each, what's another 400w lol
                        exactly. a plasma doesnt take up too much power, compared to what people are putting in their cars anyways.
                        Acer Netbook with 160hdd and 1.60 Ghtz atom - to be installed

Comment

Originally posted by Crinos View Post
                          I would recomend you calling the customer and get some more specs from his car.

1. Have he done something with the alternator, or is it stock?
                          2. Multiplle batteries?
                          3. Get as mutch specs about sound system as possible. (if he have two subs drawing 1000W each, what do the rest of the system run on?).

I would recommend a deep-cycle battery (or two), and perhaps an upgraded alternator. (or, if space available, a multiple alternator setup.. many big cars have loads of space under the trunk).

I have a total of 2500W drawn when my sound system is on, and that by itself draws to much from the battery.. All sorts of weird electrical problems accours when the battery starts to run low... Pull out the fuse for the system, and drive for an hour, and everything is back to normal again...

Oh... btw: You should allso check with the customer on how much "irreversible damage" you can do to the vehicle. Mounting a big screen demands realy secure monting brackets.
                          I agree with Crinos, i would find out the stats of his car, although 380W is that big of a deal, I think a simple Deep Cycle battery will do the trick. My truck's alternator puts out 136 AMPS, but with all the stuff I have, it cant charge the battery fast enough. When I start my car the PC will not turn on because the battery is too low. Im going to upgrade the ALT to a 220 AMP and the battery to a deep cycle. I was actually thinking in the future of adding a big 52 inch to my car. Someone actually did it to the same type of car. He took out the middle seats and only left the third row. looks cool.

Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                          4X MK808b
                          3x Perixx Touchpads
                          3x 7 inch Screens
                          1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Well, those jackasses bought a modified sine wave inverter, and seem to rate the "sweetness" of the inverter by number of watts it handles. I told them they were jackasses, showed them what they SHOULD buy and wished them luck. I expect a call shortly.

Comment

Working...
                            X