Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to buy a small USB LCD screen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Where to buy a small USB LCD screen?

    Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase a small (about 3-4") display that would go between the gauges on the dashboard (like you might find in a BMW or Audi). It will be used to display song/artist info. My only requirement: It has to interface with the computer through USB only, because I want to purchase an older Mac Mini, which only has one DVI port (which will obviously be used for the main screen). It would be even nicer if it were powered via USB, but I can get around that if need be. Does anyone know where I can get one of these, and how much it would run me? Links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

  • #2
    I don't think they make anything like that(iono). I am planning on doing the same thing as you but I am using a 20x2 char. lcd and wiring it up through the parallel port. They make programs(Called Smartie I think) that will pull the info from winamp and send it to em. Example of one showing system stats [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWfIc2gImWg&feature=related[/media]

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by mdawg View Post
      I don't think they make anything like that(iono). I am planning on doing the same thing as you but I am using a 20x2 char. lcd and wiring it up through the parallel port. They make programs(Called Smartie I think) that will pull the info from winamp and send it to em. Example of one showing system stats [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWfIc2gImWg&feature=related[/media]
      Where did you get that, what is it called and how much did it run you?

      Comment


      • #4
        depending on your mounting location, this might work, it is usb, but might not have mac drivers--Matrix Orbital Gx Typhoon Black Insert Tri Color USB:

        http://www.crazypc.com/products/90610TC.html
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


        next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by hutacars View Post
          Where did you get that, what is it called and how much did it run you?
          Also by using an older mac, you are limited to osx. Weird little programs like these are usually much harder to find for non-windows systems.
          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

          Comment


          • #6
            you could run it in a VM...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
              depending on your mounting location, this might work, it is usb, but might not have mac drivers--Matrix Orbital Gx Typhoon Black Insert Tri Color USB:

              http://www.crazypc.com/products/90610TC.html
              This is perfect. I'll nab one once they're back in stock. Thank you very much!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                Also by using an older mac, you are limited to osx. Weird little programs like these are usually much harder to find for non-windows systems.
                I'm not using a Mac that's _that_ old. I just mean it won't be current generation, meaning I'll only have one video output. I will be running Windows under Parallels-- the main reason for buying a Mini is the compact size, plus the instant-wake capabilities of OS X.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                  depending on your mounting location, this might work, it is usb, but might not have mac drivers--Matrix Orbital Gx Typhoon Black Insert Tri Color USB:

                  http://www.crazypc.com/products/90610TC.html
                  Thats nice and prob. more practical for someone who doesn't want to bother wiring up the LCD like the way Im doing it, better screen than what I am using but mine only ran me about $10 vs $100. So I am happy. lol

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by mdawg View Post
                    Thats nice and prob. more practical for someone who doesn't want to bother wiring up the LCD like the way Im doing it, better screen than what I am using but mine only ran me about $10 vs $100. So I am happy. lol
                    What are you using?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      http://www.beyondlogic.org/parlcd/parlcd.htm


                      I take that back about the smartie program I think I dunno if it can control through the parallel port or not.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        lcdmodkit.com screens are 4x20 blue backlit with white text and usb, cost me $33 inc postage to London. Search for them on ebay.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by TheGuv View Post
                          lcdmodkit.com screens are 4x20 blue backlit with white text and usb, cost me $33 inc postage to London. Search for them on ebay.
                          Their website keeps turning up "Not Found" errors whenever I try to click the LCDs link, and searching for "lcdmod" on eBay turns up nothing. I think I'll just stick with that $100 screen. Thank you though!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by mdawg View Post
                            http://www.beyondlogic.org/parlcd/parlcd.htm


                            I take that back about the smartie program I think I dunno if it can control through the parallel port or not.
                            If I have to solder it together, it's not for me Thank you for your help though!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=220441893627

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X