Powerstrip, I740, and Win2k - no go

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerstrip, I740, and Win2k - no go

I just bought a Cappuccino pc off of Ebay and I'm trying to get it to work with powerstrip. I'm having no success at all. I haven't used powerstrip before but I know my way around a computer. I want to get the tv-out of the i740 graphics chip to display a widescreen picture. This is the only thing stopping me from buying an LCD from Armen. I haven't been able to get powerstrip to do anything but change resolutions. The custom resolutions button is grayed out (on both the tv-out and vga).

I'm using a TX1 with 256mb ram, P3 866mhz, and Win2k.

Can anyone help me here? I really appreciate anything anyone can do. I just want to see a normal non-stretched display. Thanks.

Tom
    1993 Probe GT
    Rio Car w/20gb

Don't you mean i810E itegrated graphics? the i740 was a stand alone vga chipset from long ago, back when intel was trying to expand markets (it came out around the time of the ati rage).
    -Nick

Comment

Yeah. Wow, I guess that been around computers a long time thing must be looking really false right now. Thanks. Yeah, it's the 810. I have the drivers from the cappuccinopc.com website. I have a feeling they're not the latest though. Still it says it's supported under powerstrip so it should be able to do custom resolutions. I want to do 740x480 on the tv-out.

Tom
      1993 Probe GT
      Rio Car w/20gb

Comment

Are you running XP or 98? I'd hit up intel to see if there are newer drivers for it.
        -Nick

Comment

I've got Win2k. I'm going to try the reference drivers from Intel when I get home from work. I'm not expecting anything. I'm kinda worried I'm gonna lose the tv-out with the Intel drivers since many of their motherboards didn't have tv-out on them.

Tom
          1993 Probe GT
          Rio Car w/20gb

Comment

You can also try regediting the string for current resolution and set it to what you want and see what happens. I dont remember where it is for win2k, but it should be easy enough to google for.
            -Nick

Comment

I just tried editing the registry. I found the key. I bumped it down from 800x600 to 720x480 and it booted up displaying 640x480. So no luck so far. Updated to latest drivers from Intel too and custom resolutions are still grayed out in Powerstrip. Any ideas?

Tom
              1993 Probe GT
              Rio Car w/20gb

Comment

You might be stuck with "normal" resolutions. The i810 graphics were a stop gap sort of solution to onboard graphics, so they might not have the capability.
                -Nick

Comment

Yeah, that's what I think too. I'm going to try an older version of Powerstrip to see if that helps because the newer one supposedly dropped the support of some graphics chips. It kinda sucks because widescreen dvds are going to look absolutely terrible now (all stretched out with a black border on the top and bottom). Thanks for all your help though. I'll keep trying. If Armen came found a 6.4 4:3 display with a touchscreen, now that would make me happy.

Tom
                  1993 Probe GT
                  Rio Car w/20gb

Comment

Working...
                  X