Any news on LED touchscreens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any news on LED touchscreens

Just wondering if there's any word on LED Touchscreens in the horizon. The image they produce are beyond beautiful and i'm salivating at the thought of putting one in my car....

if you found links to any sites, please share...

thanks

AD
    CTS 05, Mobile Information Center...
    Atom - 1.8ghz
    2GB Ram
    32GB SSD
    8" TouchScreen
    5.6" Screen (overhead) w/reverse capability

Finished Project
    Car Hacking
    WorkBlog
    Video

Like this? http://dynamixcomputers.com/dynamix_...uchscreen.html

Comment

Originally posted by afterdigital View Post
      Just wondering if there's any word on LED Touchscreens in the horizon. The image they produce are beyond beautiful and i'm salivating at the thought of putting one in my car....

if you found links to any sites, please share...

thanks

AD
      Lilliput and Xenarc monitors are LED backlit. or Perhaps I am misunderstanding exactly what you are looking for.
      Suggestions or Comments on the forums? Post here.

mp3Car store order questions or products that you would like to sell on the store? Email store @ mp3car.com

Feel free to pm me if you:
      • Have a general comment on mp3Car's products or services
      • Have a product you would like to have tested by the mp3Car community
      • Have a file you would like mp3Car to host
      • Have a cool idea that would improve the forums

Comment

i think he is looking for a LED display, instead of a led backlight display--like those new, really thin flat screens from samsung.

like this:
        http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/d...UN55B8000XFXZA

i think it is going to take a while for that technology to trickle down to smaller screens.
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even those Samsungs are still just led backlit LCDs..

Comment

Originally posted by barnyard View Post
            Correct me if I'm wrong, but even those Samsungs are still just led backlit LCDs..
            you caught me getting all mixed up in their marketing lingo!

here is where i found the real info on the screen:
            http://hdguru.com/samsung-un46b8000-...st-review/429/

even samsungs site says nothing of it just being a very thin lcd screen w/ led backlight...
            Disclaimer at the bottom in referance to power efficiency:
            *Samsung's Energy Star-Compliant LED TVs use 40% less power than similar size 2008 Samsung LCD TVs in standard mode.

next project? subaru brz
            carpc undecided

Comment

im guessing the op is talking about OLED. thats the technology that can be 3mm thick, and produce its own light without any backlight at all.

sony has one, and it wont be that many more years before they start making them in mass on large scales. but i too can't wait for 7" oled screens... they will be BETTER then perfect for our car pc's.....

furthermore, oled will come in the form of flimsy clear stickers, that you can attatch to your windsheild (or they will be built in) and create heads-up displays.

oled will completely change how we build our carpcs... monitors will be able to pop out of air vents... or, anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by trader007 View Post
                im guessing the op is talking about OLED. thats the technology that can be 3mm thick, and produce its own light without any backlight at all.

sony has one, and it wont be that many more years before they start making them in mass on large scales. but i too can't wait for 7" oled screens... they will be BETTER then perfect for our car pc's.....

furthermore, oled will come in the form of flimsy clear stickers, that you can attatch to your windsheild (or they will be built in) and create heads-up displays.

oled will completely change how we build our carpcs... monitors will be able to pop out of air vents... or, anywhere.
                We have a two part video on this coming out within the next week. Last year we did a quick movie on oled here: http://www.mp3car.com/index.php/123-...-and-demo.html

Check our blog in a few days for the two part oled series. The filiming has finished and it is being edited as I write this.

Comment

samsung's technology is LED and not LCD with a backlit. They are a lot thinner, brighter and consume less power than LCD's... On a side note, didn't Sony buy Samsung?

The link Lordkat provides is for LED backlit. Although interesting and probably nicer than my regular LCD - that's not the same as the Samsung or the Sony, IMO. These new TV's are gonna change TV technology (once again).

I do agree that it may be some time before we see 7" and 8" screens on the market but i hope i'm wrong. In addition, it would be nice if they made them HDMI ready with 2 ports minimum. Why not?
                  Atom - 1.8ghz
                  2GB Ram
                  32GB SSD
                  8" TouchScreen

Finished Project
                  Car Hacking
                  WorkBlog
                  Video

Comment

Dude...Samsung's LED TV are BS...they are just lcd tv's with led backlight....they have lots of leds that they can dynamically control to produce a dynamic contrast ratio that again is BS...

I've seen a 9" 1080p OLED in a sony store...breath taking...

I challenge you to prove , by link, otherwise...

I know wiki isn't the most reliable source of info , but check out this link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-e...ode_television

and this from Samsung, even states LED backlight

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/d...XZA&fullspec=F

PS. true LED displays are used for bilboards and stadiums... these are measured in feet...not inches..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_display
                    Sig, smig...

Ford Flex Toshiba Excite 7.7 Install

CoverMess - Cool Flash Covers

FlashFlex - Flash Components for your skinning pleasure

Mazda Millenia, Road Runner

YouTube - Road Runner, IGO8 PC, Dashcommand OBD, Visteon HD Radio

Comment

Originally posted by pcpete View Post
                      Dude...Samsung's LED TV are BS...they are just lcd tv's with led backlight....they have lots of leds that they can dynamically control to produce a dynamic contrast ratio that again is BS...

I've seen a 9" 1080p OLED in a sony store...breath taking...

I challenge you to prove , by link, otherwise...

I know wiki isn't the most reliable source of info , but check out this link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-e...ode_television

and this from Samsung, even states LED backlight

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/d...XZA&fullspec=F

PS. true LED displays are used for bilboards and stadiums... these are measured in feet...not inches..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_display
                      @pcpete

thanks for the info... what a shocker - especially to uninformed consumers... i truly thought it was OLED - the same as the sony 9" you speak of which by the way - i also have seen and it is breathtaking...

I still don't understand - how they manage to make the TV much thinner than a regular LCD?

I should've titled this thread "OLED TV's" as it is more appropriate to the question at hand.
                      Atom - 1.8ghz
                      2GB Ram
                      32GB SSD
                      8" TouchScreen

Finished Project
                      Car Hacking
                      WorkBlog
                      Video

Comment

Well I've been reading on these samsung tv's , apparently the leds are edge mounted, and the light is channeled to the back of the panel...the picture is great, but there is light uniformity issues...

True OLED at these sizes is few years away, but it will truly be the next revolutionary step in display quality..
                        Sig, smig...

Ford Flex Toshiba Excite 7.7 Install

CoverMess - Cool Flash Covers

FlashFlex - Flash Components for your skinning pleasure

Mazda Millenia, Road Runner

YouTube - Road Runner, IGO8 PC, Dashcommand OBD, Visteon HD Radio

Comment

Originally posted by pcpete View Post
                          Well I've been reading on these samsung tv's , apparently the leds are edge mounted, and the light is channeled to the back of the panel...the picture is great, but there is light uniformity issues...

True OLED at these sizes is few years away, but it will truly be the next revolutionary step in display quality..
                          i will be impatiently waiting on my 16' rollup, oled widescreen...

next project? subaru brz
                          carpc undecided

Comment

if you could get an LED down to the size of 1/3 pixel, and still have it bright enough to produce 300nits overall, led would be great... you see them at stadiums everywhere, they use thousands of regular LED bulbs in a grid to produce an amazing image on a huge scale.... but for small scale like a 50" tv at 1080p resolution, its just not possible to make led's that small and bright. thats why we use liquid crystal, so each 1/3 pixel is just an on/off window that can be as small as we want.. and the ccfl or led backlight is what makes the screen light up.

thats only part of the reason OLED will be huge though. the transparency and flexibility is going to change the whole game. to think, i just built my own rolldown 110" hd projector screen... and if this screen was made out of OLED i wouldnt even need the projector, the screen material itself would BE the display.. and the electronic guts would just be fitted into the roll bar on top.

Comment

Originally posted by trader007 View Post
                              if you could get an LED down to the size of 1/3 pixel, and still have it bright enough to produce 300nits overall, led would be great... you see them at stadiums everywhere, they use thousands of regular LED bulbs in a grid to produce an amazing image on a huge scale.... but for small scale like a 50" tv at 1080p resolution, its just not possible to make led's that small and bright. thats why we use liquid crystal, so each 1/3 pixel is just an on/off window that can be as small as we want.. and the ccfl or led backlight is what makes the screen light up.

thats only part of the reason OLED will be huge though. the transparency and flexibility is going to change the whole game. to think, i just built my own rolldown 110" hd projector screen... and if this screen was made out of OLED i wouldnt even need the projector, the screen material itself would BE the display.. and the electronic guts would just be fitted into the roll bar on top.
                              whoah! i just had an accident...

i too am impatiently waiting for that day....
                              Atom - 1.8ghz
                              2GB Ram
                              32GB SSD
                              8" TouchScreen

Finished Project
                              Car Hacking
                              WorkBlog
                              Video

Comment

Working...