Is there a 6.5 inch screen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a 6.5 inch screen?

I own an Opel Corsa OPC, and like all the current Opel's out there - the car has an plastic adaptor for OEM color screen with the hole size of 144mm x 79mm (that's milimeters). The OEM factory screen's visible size is a bit more than the plastic cover: 146mm x 82mm. This is exactly 6.5 inch widescreen, and that's the size of a screen I want to buy.

The problem is, that everybody is selling 7" separately, but 6.5 inch only embedded in some 2din radios which I don't need.

So what I need is (arround) 146mm x 82mm 6.5 inch screen with following standard functions:
    - VGA input
    - 800x480 physical resolution (or more)
    - USB touchpanel integrated with drivers for win-xp and/or linux

I have already prepared a laptop computer for my in-car-pc project, but the screen is missing. The software will probably be centrafuse, but that will be decided in the end.

Does anyone here know where can I get this size of the screen? I hope it exists!

Thank you all!
    Opel Club Croatia
    Opel Corsa OPC

Help?
    Opel Club Croatia
    Opel Corsa OPC

Comment

for anyone else, a pic of your dash:

so, you want to replace the factory lcd, with a vga version to be used with a computer right?
      you will need to look into industrial lcd monitors, mostly the ones with mounting tabs and just look through the dimensions to find the monitor that would fit your application best. here is a quick search that i did:
      http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...with+vga+input
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

Comment

Only found this today: http://whlx.en.alibaba.com/product/2...or_Car_PC.html
        But it has no physical size or price. Looks suspicious

EDIT: Maybe it's ok to be disasembled, but still no price tag.
        http://www.hiinfoglobal.com/carpc/ent650.html
        Opel Club Croatia
        Opel Corsa OPC

Comment

I am looking for the same thing.
          I hope there is something like this. I really dont want to have to buy one of those 2din units just to take it apart and have to pay for a lot of crap that I don't need.

If you find anything, please post. I will post if I find anything

Comment

Which car are you working on?
            I have submitted my "what I want to buy" request to ipMart shop. Maybe they will find something.
            Opel Club Croatia
            Opel Corsa OPC

Comment

'08 hyundai accent.
              I want something that will fit into the stock radio space. it is 19cm X 10cm.

Comment

What about the screen from an eeePC?
                It is 15.3cm x 9.2cm with the diagonal 17.8cm (6" x 3.6" with 7" diagonal).

We would just need to get a controller that could drive the screen. Either that, or just use the eeePC itself as the computer.

Comment

Isn't that classic 2din space? Are you planing to fit in 2din monitor only or complete 2din computer? I want to leave my radio as it is. Only move the monitor to the roof, and in his position PC monitor should fit.

Yeah, EEEpc is great but it's too big. See my sizes in the first post! If I would use EEE screen than I would not see it in total, so I would need to use smaller screen resolution if that would work at all.

Opel Club Croatia
                  Opel Corsa OPC

Comment

yea, i guess it is 2din. I thought it was a bit narrower.

Yes, I intend to put the computer into the space behind the screen which would be mounted in the front of the "radio hole"

Comment

My computer will probably fit below the drivers seat (laptop already prepared) but I'm strugling with the screen
                      It must be perfect 6.5 inch or it will not be at all. Maybe 7" could fit somehow but I don't want to buy to findout that it does not fit.

Do you want to buy ready-to-play 2din carputer? There are a lot of those...
                      Opel Club Croatia
                      Opel Corsa OPC

Comment

No, I want to make my own. Im designing an enclosure and everythng that I think will be really cool if I can manage to get it built.

Where are you planning to mount your screen? What kind of space do you have to fit it in?

Comment

And ideally, I would want a screen that is a little bit shorter than a full 2-din, so that I could squeeze in a slim CD or DVD drive as well.

Comment

Look at the picture in the third post. Thats the same interior as mine, but insted of color screen I have smaller yellow screen which will go away ind in his place 6.5 inch VGA screen must fit!

The hole size is also mentioned in the first post, please read it.
                            I like your idea for a CD player, but I will leave the factory radio for cdplaying, and will use the laptop cdrom for other types of data transfer if required. USB port will be below the radio and airco controls.
                            Opel Club Croatia
                            Opel Corsa OPC

Comment

hmm, yea. that would be a tight fit for the eeePC screen. It would fit lengthwise, but might notin erms f height. Or at best, some of the screen would be blocked off by the bezel.

I like your idea though, and it seems like that would be a good spot for a 6.5". If you find one, please post it up. I'm still looking also.

--Art.

Comment

Working...
                              X