Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why can't I use my dektop lcd for a dvd player screen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't I use my dektop lcd for a dvd player screen?

I picked up a simple adapter for vga to rca, and s-video, but when I plug in my dvd player and turn on the monitor the screen says no signal. The sound is present, but no picture after that. Anybody got anything? Thanks in advance.

It probably has something to do with the adapter. A simple cable will not be able to take rca and svideo and convert it up to vga. Is the device you have intended to convert a vga signal into rca/ svideo out or is it truly designed to take rca/svideo input and send a vga signal to the monitor?

Comment

It's just a simple adapter to allow me to plug rca's into the monitor itself, so I am sure there is no upconversion going on.

Comment

those adapters are made for screens that have built-in converting for s-video. since your monitor doesnt, you will need the actual converter. theyre usually $50 or more.

Comment

Ah, thankyou. Is it just called a vga converter?

Comment

If you're using the VGA out on your motherboard, is it the little yellow RCA port? That's usually video or SPDIF audio so you have to specify with a jumper on the motherboard what you want it to be. Then you have to make sure it's enabled in the BIOS and again in the operating system settings. If all of that is correct, it might show up but it's going to look horrible anyway. What's the size on the LCD? RCA cables are limited to 480 lines of resolution so you're not going to be able to run anything higher than 640x480 and it's going to look like garbage with huge icons and font.
            Ampie Case
            2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
            256 MB DDR2 PC5400
            Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
            Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
            M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

I'm actually trying to use my desktop lcd as a "tv" for a baby cam.

Comment

You're looking for a scan converter.
                Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                Want to:
                -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Oddly enough, I'm now trying something similar. I've got a desktop PC hooked to a large LCD television via a VGA - component cable and it's not working. Anyone know how to get a VGA cable hooked to a television with every other video input?
                  Ampie Case
                  256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                  M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Originally posted by Maheriano View Post
                    What's the size on the LCD? RCA cables are limited to 480 lines of resolution so you're not going to be able to run anything higher than 640x480 and it's going to look like garbage with huge icons and font.
                    i feed my tv tuner with rca video off my dish network box, for displaying 110" on my projector. it looks nearly as good as dvd since its running enhancements from the video card. thats not to say i dont wish i had a hd video input... and the pc can go up to 1024x768 over rca so text is readable on crt tv's, but its not fun.

Maheriano- you probably have a older style of component on that tv then what your pc has. that happens with mine, i have component on the tv but it doesnt work with pc's, just regular dvd players and stuff.

there should be some sort of svideo output on your video card... you can use a simple adapter to go from svid to rca is you need to as well.

Comment

Originally posted by fourustwentius View Post
                      Ah, thankyou. Is it just called a vga converter?
                      this one should be good- http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Comment

Thanks alot everyone. It looks like the scan converter will work nicely! Thanks Trader007!

Comment

welcome. monoprice is a fantastic online store, btw. if you need a cable or adapter for anything, get it there. your bank account will like you.

Comment

Originally posted by trader007 View Post
                            i feed my tv tuner with rca video off my dish network box, for displaying 110" on my projector. it looks nearly as good as dvd since its running enhancements from the video card. thats not to say i dont wish i had a hd video input... and the pc can go up to 1024x768 over rca so text is readable on crt tv's, but its not fun.

Maheriano- you probably have a older style of component on that tv then what your pc has. that happens with mine, i have component on the tv but it doesnt work with pc's, just regular dvd players and stuff.

there should be some sort of svideo output on your video card... you can use a simple adapter to go from svid to rca is you need to as well.
                            The bandwidth on a RCA cable won't allow for any more than 480i which is 240 lines per frame. I have a projector at home too (running DVI though) and if I hook it up via RCA, it just fills in the extra space with garble. There isn't any higher resolution coming through the line.
                            Ampie Case
                            256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                            M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Originally posted by trader007 View Post
                              welcome. monoprice is a fantastic online store, btw. if you need a cable or adapter for anything, get it there. your bank account will like you.
                              Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! I ordered it today. Now if I could only find a site like that for vga touchscreens....

Comment

Working...
                              X