Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can I get a transreflective screen these days??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I get a transreflective screen these days??

About a year ago I ran across the transreflective screens and they were out of my price range. I went with a standard eBay screen and I've been suffering ever since. Now I've got some cash, but the only one for sale (and out of stock) here is the little 7" one.

Where might I find a transreflective screen today? Preferably 8", and maybe even 4:3 aspect ratio if possible. I've never really understood the wide screen thing... they are so short in the vertical... My 4:3 8" that I have now feels too short vertically sometimes (in navigation really is the only place) but thankfully the hide header feature of CentraFuse helps that a lot. I can't imagine giving up yet another couple inches in screen real estate.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

bump... anyone know?

Comment

for 8 " you might need to contact some industrial company suppliers-- they make them, but quality, and sunlight readable-ness(new word?) could be a concern.
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

Comment

Well if I have to go down to 7" that's fine... I'm just trying to find ANYthing ANYwhere these days...

Comment

I beleive that most car computer stores have a certain stock of 7" transflective screens-so you should have better luck with those--linitx, ebay, mo-co-so, etc.
          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

Comment

there's one in the classifieds...
            Pico-ITX / XP Home with EWF-HORM / RR v12/02/2009 / Winamp v5.13 / RRMedia v1.2.2

Comment

Yeah, I have been looking for a 10.4" to replace the one I grabbed on onvon.com because it was cheap, but I have had to contact Several suppliers just to get a quote. They seem to charge $50-100 more just for ordering one compared to a bulk order...

and prices seem to vary anywhere from $550-$1000.... And most of them dont include a touchscreen, bonding, or shipping! Time to go find some money somewhere...

Comment

If you want non-7" screens, then look at fujitsu and toshiba laptop screens that are LVDS compatible. Other than that, you are out of luck unless you buy from a large volume dealer
                Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

On the subject of fujitsu tablet screens (which will be hell, electronically, BTW), a warning / mini-review. I've been running a Stylistic 3400 in my Miata for the past 3 years, and it's the "S" model with the supposedly indoor / outdoor screen. In direct incident sunlight (top down) I suppose it is readable, but only just. With sunglasses on, the screen might as well be painted black.

I've decided to try one of the newer transflective-converted Lilis, to see if that provides a better alternative. If so, my Fuji will be going away soon.

Comment

Originally posted by joe_p View Post
                    On the subject of fujitsu tablet screens (which will be hell, electronically, BTW), a warning / mini-review. I've been running a Stylistic 3400 in my Miata for the past 3 years, and it's the "S" model with the supposedly indoor / outdoor screen. In direct incident sunlight (top down) I suppose it is readable, but only just. With sunglasses on, the screen might as well be painted black.

I've decided to try one of the newer transflective-converted Lilis, to see if that provides a better alternative. If so, my Fuji will be going away soon.
                    I'm guessing your sunglasses are polarized glasses. If so, LCDs by nature are polarized as well. So polarizing light 1 way in the screen, then your sunglasses blocking all light not polarized in a certain way, will turn things black no matter what screen you have in what conditions.
                    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                      I'm guessing your sunglasses are polarized glasses. If so, LCDs by nature are polarized as well. So polarizing light 1 way in the screen, then your sunglasses blocking all light not polarized in a certain way, will turn things black no matter what screen you have in what conditions.
                      Just a funny experience with polarized sunglasses.

I used to build homemade projectors. One time I built one and I took off the front polarizer on the Lcd. This resulted in the projector projecting a white image. But put on a polarized pair of sunglasses and the picture re-appeared. LOL

My wife would walk in and ask why I was watching a white screen.
                      My 2007 Yukon XL setup. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...64-5000-a.html

Comment

I'm guessing your sunglasses are polarized glasses.
                        Negative. I learned that lesson years ago when LCD dashboards started appearing on motorcycles. I use a set of custom-fitted clipon sunglasses which have non-polarized polycarb lenses.

Here are two images taken through my sunglasses at the polarized LCD of my wristwatch. The lens is rotated 90 in the second image, yet the LCD appears exactly the same as in the first. Both images are at ISO400, F2.8, 1/125, at the same distance, under the same light. Trust me, these are non-polarized lenses.

The problem is simply that the margin of viewability under direct, high-intensity sunlight is so low that the extra attenuation of sunglasses pushes it over the edge. Even without them, your face has to be pretty close to the screen to read any kind of detail when it's under full sun.

It's a damn shame that nobody seems to make a conventional monochrome LCD display that will directly accept a VGA signal. Even if they simply treated it as a 1-bit display looking at the G channel with a cutoff at 50% intensity, you could probably make Windows usable simply with one of the high-contrast desktop schemes and matching high-contrast skins. Sadly, the last x86 architechture laptops I can remember seeing that used such a display were Z80-class machines. Not exactly up to par for running Megatune.

Comment

Ooooh... boolean logic Watcha building?

Comment

Ooooh... boolean logic Watcha building?
                            The airchain switching system for WFAN Radio (660 AM in New York City), to select which of six studios is on the main transmitter and/or the web streaming feed at any given time, and to automatically steer control of the broadcast delay, the commercial inserter and the phone system (plus tallies for same) to the appropriate room based upon that selection.

Comment

Duplicate post - dunno why the forum did this.

@ Mods - please delete.
                              F6 Tornado Project Log ; HP Blackbird Watercooled Server

Beta Tester for Centrafuse and 3dConnexion (No business affiliation with either)

Comment

Working...
                              X