Old Xenarc 700TSV won't remember brightness settings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Xenarc 700TSV won't remember brightness settings

Well after switching from the M1-ATX to the M2-ATX, the headaches continue. Now for some reason my screen reverts back to the default brightness setting everytime I turn off the car and I have to keep moving it back up to max so I can see the screen.

Nothing changed from my previous install except a new motherboard and power supply. See my signature for the old setup, the new board is an Intel D945GCLF and the power supply is the M2-ATX. I have the screen powered via the only LP4 molex adapter on the power supply so that it's getting regulated power. I'm guessing the M2-ATX is cutting power when hibernating and this is wiping the memory in the screen so would it help to power the screen directly from the battery? This particular screen has a voltage regulator built into it so I could do that safely I think, what do you think my chances are of it holding the memory? It used to do it no problem with my old setup.

This is very annoying.
    Ampie Case
    2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
    256 MB DDR2 PC5400
    Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
    Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
    M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

the whole point of it is to power it from the battery. It never made any sense to me why anyone would power it from the PSU. Even the lilliputs have voltage regulators.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Is that a yes? Mushrooooooooom.........mushrooooooooom........
      Ampie Case
      256 MB DDR2 PC5400
      M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

yes --> a snaaaaaaaaaaake oooooooh a snaaaaaaaake.
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

Okay but do you think it would hold its memory? Not sure what you were saying yes to.
          Ampie Case
          256 MB DDR2 PC5400
          M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

If the screen has power, the screen has memory. If the screen has no power, the screen has no memory.

However, if your screen is dying and has totalled out its NV memory writing allocation, then it will lose it no matter what since it writes, the memory is fried so nothing happens, and hence goes to default. All devices have a maximum number of times you can write to them.

Comment

I thought of something before I went through with switching the power source. If I power it from the battery, will it still turn on/off with the computer?
              Ampie Case
              256 MB DDR2 PC5400
              M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

?
                Ampie Case
                256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

I have a Xenarc 700TSV and it also does not remember the brightness settings. I don't know why everyone is telling you to switch power supplies. The point is no matter where you power it from you will have to at some time turn/ or switch it off. This is when you will, as I do, lose the last brightness setting. This does not happen all of the time, but it does happen about 90% of the time. When it happens it does not matter if I turn it off for 30sec or two weeks. It will loose its settings, but I have had it off for a couple of weeks and it has retained its setting, so I am really confused. My monitor is switched off every time the ign is off.

The question I can never seem to get an answer to is : WHAT IS THE 700TSV DESIGNED TO DO WITH THE BRIGHTNESS SETTING WHEN POWER IS REMOVED. Can't find specs on this.

If the 700TSV is not designed to, then are any of the newer 7" Xenarcs designed to retain their settings when power is turned off/removed.

I need a new one, but because of the brightness issue I have been hoping for someone else to come out with a better alternative. Hate all that OSD stuff about size and Input 2 as well. Xenarc does seem to respond well to questions with good answers.

Comment

Mine remembered settings fine with my old motherboard and power supply. Now that I changed hardware it's not so good anymore. So I'm wondering if I connect it to the battery, will it come on/off with the computer without a relay? And if I use a switched source, will it do a hard off when I turn off the car instead of waiting for the computer to turn off first? Too bad I can't splice into the 12 volt P4 connector on the M2-ATX, that would work.
                    Ampie Case
                    256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                    M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

bizzle
                      Ampie Case
                      256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                      M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                        If the screen has power, the screen has memory. If the screen has no power, the screen has no memory.

However, if your screen is dying and has totalled out its NV memory writing allocation, then it will lose it no matter what since it writes, the memory is fried so nothing happens, and hence goes to default. All devices have a maximum number of times you can write to them.
                        I have a 700 TSV, bought in 2007. So what you're saying is not true for that one.

It is powered by the DSATX PSU (so it has no power at all when the computer is off). I've set my monitor to rotate 180 degrees only once (!), since I installed it overhead. Never had to do it again. EVER. Same thing with 16:9/4:3 settings, backlight 99, etc. No matter if it was off two weeks, it always remembered those

Brightness and contrast however, by designed, are f*ed.

This has nothing to do with your hardware. There must be some factory hidden setting to save brightness and contrast as the other settings....
                        Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                        Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Okay, I know that this may be a simple answer, and I could be completely off base and wrong. I seem to remember reading somewhere that you need to set the settings, power cycle the screen with the remote or the power button on the unit. When you turn it back on it will have retained the settings. If you let the screen turn off by the ignition it will not have remembered the settings.

I had trouble with the auto adjust needing to be redone each time I turned on the car and this seemed to take care of it.

Like I said I could be completely off base so don't flame please.
                          CAR: 2007 G35 Sport Coupe 5AT
                          HARDWARE: Dell D630 w/ dock, internal 80G HD, internal 320G HD, Verizon Wireless Card, iBlue GM-2 GPS w/iGuidance, OBDPros w/DashCommand, Visteon HD Radio w/ Home Made Cable, Current Version of RR w/ DFX Skin. My Install.

Comment

You're not completely off base, there's another thread where someone said that worked for him. You're supposed to power cycle with the remote while the overlay menu is still showing (and doing all the setting with the remote too). It didn't work for me, but it's worth a try, I think.
                            Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                            Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
                              You're not completely off base, there's another thread where someone said that worked for him. You're supposed to power cycle with the remote while the overlay menu is still showing (and doing all the setting with the remote too). It didn't work for me, but it's worth a try, I think.
                              Just tried this:

remote off, remote on = saved settings
                              car off, car on = no saved settings

remote off, car off, car on, remote on = saved settings
                              car off, car on = no saved settings

It's like whenever I use the remote they're saved but the second the car is turned off with the screen on, it loses them.

Found this in another thread with no resolution:
                              ok, never used a Xenarc before but ... most monitors store information regarding their settings on a per resolution/refresh rate basis. so when you change either of them, it goes to the factory settings for that resolution unless you have changed it before. you can try it on the machine you are on now probably, just switch to some resolution that youve never used before and chances are it will be all messed up aligment-wise. hope that helps ... try and see what happens when you set your resolution back to what it was before.
                              I do remember forcing the resolution in the Road Runner configuration so maybe if I set the Windows resolution and leave it, it won't refresh and lose the settings. It seems like anytime the refresh rate or resolution change, the settings are lost and powering down the screen with the remote prior to turning the car off/on stops the resolution from changing a few times on bootup. I'll try that tonight.
                              Ampie Case
                              256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                              M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Working...
                              X