Using a touchscreen kit/Output NTSC to screen from PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a touchscreen kit/Output NTSC to screen from PC

I have an r34 skyline, non turbo. It came with a factory screen that pops out of the dash, I want to use this.

Can I just get an overlay, and it'll work like a normal touchscreen?

yes.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

So then I can use the screen to display the picture, and the usb overlay to act as the touchscreen part?

How accurate are they?

Comment

Originally posted by hairyMerkin View Post
        So then I can use the screen to display the picture, and the usb overlay to act as the touchscreen part?
        Yes. That's how the touckscreen overlay works.

How accurate are they?
        As accurate as any commercial touchscreen. The touchkit is identical to what the touchscreen manufacturers use for their products.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Sweet, cheers guys.

Any brands of overlays that are recommended?

Comment

They all work pretty much the same. There is a difference between resistive and capacitive but a capacitive touchscreen for the car is not very common. Get the resistive one. I've had both 4 wire and 5 wire and don't see the difference. 5 wire is supposed to be "better" but both work identically.
            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
            Want to:
            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

If i understand OP correctly - that won't work! If he/she is trying to control a computer, how is he going to display the computer's output on the screen. If he just want to put a touch overlay on the factory screen to control IT, then what is the touch overlay going to send signals to?

I'm confused by the answers given so far; the way i see it, it won't work at all.
              OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
              Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
              Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
              BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
              M2-ATX Power Supply
              RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
              Windows XP SP3

Comment

Good point. He'll need to purchase an interface that allows the PC output (which will most likely need to be in video format) to be shown on the car's screen.
                I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                Want to:

Comment

The screen takes an NTSC input. The next question was how I can output that format from a computer? As opposed to PAL output.

Comment

You could get a VGA to NTSC converter, but keep in mind the image is going to be hard to read/not very good quality. That's the nature of trying to display a computer image on a non VGA screen.
                    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
                    RevFE
                    My Shop

Comment

Looks like I'll just have to replace the screen then

Comment

You don't HAVE to, it will work it just won't be as high quality as a normal computer screen. I ran a NTSC monitor for a couple years until I finally got a VGA. I could never go back, but it's certainly an acceptable solution.

That being said I believe you should get rid of it, and go for a real monitor
                        "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
                        RevFE
                        My Shop

Comment

I'm almost positive the current screen is 7" if not close to, so it shouldn't be tooooo hard.

Comment

Just remember that if you replace the screen, you now have the opposite problem - how to display the car info on the new VGA screen. It will depend on how your screen gets its input from the car.
                            Want to:

Comment

Yes that begs the question... what DOES the screen in your car display?
                              RevFE
                              My Shop

Comment

Working...
                              X