capacitive touchscreen with controller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• capacitive touchscreen with controller

this is interesting. A company overseas sells capacitive TS - the glass screen and controller. This is applied over a standard monitor.

A few things i'm wondering about:

First and foremost: if used with CentraFuse/RoadRunner/StreetDeck will the touchscreen capabilities be a lot smoother than resistive ts? Would they be close to an iPhone-like interaction?

Second: I emailed the represantive, Jackie Golding, inquiring about price and there is a minimum order of 20 units @ $141.00 each or 80 units @ $131.00 each. Maybe we can find a vendor? Or maybe MP3Car will consider carrying this item.

Third: I want one!
    CTS 05, Mobile Information Center...
    Atom - 1.8ghz
    2GB Ram
    32GB SSD
    8" TouchScreen
    5.6" Screen (overhead) w/reverse capability

Finished Project
    Car Hacking
    WorkBlog
    Video

That's too big for most installs - it fits an 8.4" screen (although *I* would go for one since I have an 8.4"!). However, they do have a 7 inch display size.

You can get mp3car to allow a group buy if you arrange all the details with the manufacturer.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I'd be in for a 7" if a group buy happens.

Comment

ill be in for a 7" screen too

Comment

Here's the product info and datasheet for this 3M capacitive touchscreen:

3M™ MicroTouch™ System SCT3250CX
          The Clear Solution for Small Touch Applications (5.7" to 12.1" display sizes)
          http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...TouchSCT3250CX

3M partnumber for the 7" wide screen version is: 98-0003-3112-8

Comment

ill be in for a 7" screen too

Comment

A quick search on google lead me to this

Comment

Originally posted by Brib3 View Post
                A quick search on google lead me to this
                But Digikey doesn't list any of the 3M widescreen touchscreens, but only regular 4:3 dimensions.
                The touchscreen mentioned in this topic is a 7'' widescreen format.

Comment

Has anyone tried this route yet? I'm about to order a "98-0003-3112-8" as soon as I can find one... Going to try and replace the Xenarc resistive overlay with it.
                  tango/dune
                  Infiniti QX4 2002 project (done!... for now)

Comment

Originally posted by dune View Post
                    Has anyone tried this route yet? I'm about to order a "98-0003-3112-8" as soon as I can find one... Going to try and replace the Xenarc resistive overlay with it.
                    Wouldn't you also need a new controller board if you switch to capacitive?
                    openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                    - Always Recruiting Developers -
                    Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Yes, new controller as well. I found the same type 3M panel (but non-wide) on mouser.com. The panel and controller were about $90/ea. I just can't seem to find the wide 7" part. The controller appears to be the same.

I know it's been done before but I'm going to call 3M tomorrow. If it turns out the only way to get "98-0003-3112-8" is through bulk order, you can add me to the list.

What do you guys think about this combo?

Panel: 17-9131-203 (http://www.onlinecomponents.com/buy/...EMS/179131203/)
                      Controller: EXII-7760UC (http://www.onlinecomponents.com/buy/...S/EXII-7760UC/)
                      tango/dune

Comment

Any updates?
                        ---------------------------
                        Dan from Minneapolis
                        1999 Volvo V70R
                        Jetway J7F2WE2G, USB Creative Soundblaster, RoadRunner, Holux BT GPS, 3M Capacitive Lilliput, etc.

Comment

Yes, I'd be interested on this.
                          Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                          Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

I'm interested in this as well.... however I'm looking to replace the TS on a 10.4"

I'm stumped on something though. At the 3M site it mentions that a controller is included with the panel.

3M 10.4" Capacitive Panel
                            Under controllers available it lists one and that it is included. Is that all I would need to replace my resistive panel, or would I need this controller as well?

3M MicroTouch™ EX II Series Controller

And if so, what sort of connection/cable would I need to hook to two up.

BTW
                            I've found a reseller that will do single orders here (at least for the two pieces I'm looking for anyway)

http://www.allamerican.com/

Orbserver

Comment

The fact that it says it comes with a controller and that it's "HID-USB" leads me to believe you don't need anything else. That distributor should be able to confirm what exactly comes with that item. The trick is to make sure the overall panel dimensions (both physical size and sensor area) will work for your display and bezel.

I haven't made the jump yet to get one of the 3M panels as I really want an all-in-one unit. I'm also looking for projected capacitive as surface capacitive can wear down over time, or so I've read.

I found the same site but they didn't have in stock the stuff I was looking for. If anyone here moves forward with a 3M panel, let us know how it turns out.
                              tango/dune

Comment

Working...
                              X