Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with a 40x4 Parallel Port LCD

Hey guys,

I've had this 40x4 parallel port LCD for a couple years now. In my original mp3car that ran Windows 98, it ran fine with the LCDisplayer Winamp plugin.

I've recently installed Windows XP for faster boots, streamlined 802.11, and hardware installation. However, Windows XP does not support direct and constant Input Output (I/O) to the parallel port, and therefore I get an error message whenever I try to start LCD Output from the Winamp Visualizations options.

Has anyone had any luck in getting LCDisplayer or any other LPT accessing driver or software to work under Windows XP?

I've tried DriverLINX, but it wasn't very useful. I also installed the Paraport driver from www.paraport.net, but that just gave me a different error message. (and yes I've searched the forums)

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    HomePage and Mp3Car Setup

Dunno if this will do the trick, but thats the "usual" answer to direct I/O problems for MS os'es since win 9x.

http://www.markuszehnder.ch/projects...n/port95nt.exe

Hope it helps. Check the plugin too, it really rocks, especially with the 40x4 that you got.

http://www.markuszehnder.ch/projects...gin/index.html

cvi

Comment

yes you need port95nt like above
      [H]4 Life
      My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
      It will be done sometime in the next generation.
      I'm a lesbian too.
      I am for hire!

Comment

I've installed Port95, but how exactly do I use it? It comes with two executables and no explanations as to how they're used.

Comment

Originally posted by cvi

Hope it helps. Check the plugin too, it really rocks, especially with the 40x4 that you got.

cvi
          I've tried downloading that, but it looks like a bunch of C++ files that need to be compiled? Where is the download for the actual Winamp plugin? And I didn't see any support for a Parallel port 40x4 LCD.

Thanks

Comment

It has support for parallell 4x40, take my word
            -
            My cars
            -

Comment

Originally posted by jol
              It has support for parallell 4x40, take my word
              But where is the download link for the winamp plugin?

There's just a bunch of compiler files in the download page? Maybe I'm not seeing it?

Can someone help?

Comment

v0.6a binaries
                http://cesnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sou...n_bin_0.6a.zip
                -
                My cars
                -

Comment

Alright thanks!!! So what do I do with the Port95nt program after it's installed?

Does it work automatically after Port95nt has been installed?

Thanks for all your help btw.

Comment

I dont know, I plan to run 98lite on my mp3player so I haven't dug into it... but someone else will surely help.
                    -
                    My cars
                    -

Comment

after port95 is installed it should work to just run your lcd program of choice.

ps, im running a 16x2 parallel lcd on my windows 2k computer (not my carputer).
                      Project AutoBoxen: Coming along, almost ready to hook up in the car.
                      Celeron 500, 192mb ram, 8gb hdd, other stuff.
                      '91 Mazda 626: Its free, so ill use it.

Comment

Ok...

So I installed Port95, but I still get that error message.

But here's the funny thing. I'm running an LCD Winamp plugin that I used with Win98 just fine. After Port95 was installed, it made no difference. So, I installed and ran the other Winamp LCD plugin that has settings for those 10 or so different LCD's, none of the LCD selections worked for my 40x4 parallel port LCD.

However... After I tried running the plugin from

and getting an error message that it couldn't find my LCD, I ran the original Winamp LCD plugin that worked with Win98, and it worked just fine!

At first I was really excited...until I realized that it only works, after you try running the newer Winamp LCD plugin and getting the error message.

This is an incredibly strange problem. You would think the older LCD Winamp plugin would work fine after Port95....AND IT DOES...only after you try running the newer plugin.

Any ideas? I hope my explanation wasn't too confusing.

Comment

You gonna use xp in your setup? otherwise, do as I did, dont bother
                          -
                          My cars
                          -

Comment

Yeah, WinXP streamlines with my wireless and has other benefits that Win98 can't compete with.

Comment

Can anyone else suggest anything?

-Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X