Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have experience with "Super" brand 7" LCD screens that do VGA input?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have experience with "Super" brand 7" LCD screens that do VGA input?

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone out there has ever bought or played around with one of these: . Looks pretty good, but just wondering about the quality since the price is so low?

I am wondering how clear their display is. It states in the listing that their optimum resolution is 800 * 600, which suits me fine, but I am wondering exactly how clear this appears on its screen when connected with VGA to a computer? At least this should give a much better quality display of text on screen than I would get if I connected a 7" lcd monitor via S-video or composite video, right? I don't intend to use it for video.

I understand how small a Windows desktop will look on such a little screen, but I intend to use the monitor to display a list of songs using Foobar and since I can control the size of font I think it should work quite nicely with the above monitor, providing the quality is reasonable - and better than the results I could acheive using only S-video or composite.

Any advice, or recommendations much appreciated!

If you're gonna skimp out on the monitor, skimp out on the rest too, since it won't matter that you have a high quality system when you have a crappy blurry hard to see monitor as the front
    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
    RevFE
    My Shop

Comment

Do not listen to them, they have been brainwashed by the masses.

I ran my CarPC off of a Playstation One 5" LCD for YEARS. It was super awesome. It just depends on how you set up your OS and FrontEnd. You may end up with something you really like. Plus, a cheap screen is a good starter til you can get the feel for what exactly you want to do with all the hardware.
      Tidder

Try RevFE
      The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

yeah, it's super awesome. Until you get a real screen, then you realize how crappy it is

So sure, if you can pick one up for super cheap and you're not sure if you want to get into the hobby or not, go for it. But don't make it the centrepiece of your expensive hardware.
        "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
        RevFE
        My Shop

Comment

Shut up.
          Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

The Super brand with VGA has actually gotten very good user reviews for it's vga quality.
            My 2007 Yukon XL setup. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...64-5000-a.html

Comment

Originally posted by Tidder View Post
              Do not listen to them, they have been brainwashed by the masses.

I ran my CarPC off of a Playstation One 5" LCD for YEARS. It was super awesome. It just depends on how you set up your OS and FrontEnd. You may end up with something you really like. Plus, a cheap screen is a good starter til you can get the feel for what exactly you want to do with all the hardware.

I'm agreeing with Tidder. I've been looking at all these screens from all of these manufacturers/distributors over the past couple years, and they all make me think of the old movie Armageddon with Bruce Willis when the Russian Cosmonaut said, "American part, Russian part, ALL MADE IN CHINA!"

My advise is to simply work realistically within reason of your personal budget. Don't go too overboard but don't try to over-skimp (eg. non vga screen) either.
              ATTENTION FELLOW CAR PC ENTHUSIASTS, POWER ACOUSTIC = CAR PC KRYPTONITE!!!! AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!

To my adoring fans, No my Toyota's gas pedal didn't get stuck! Instead I saw you crossing the street and decided to floor it! Unfortunately, I MISSED!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hailrazer View Post
                The Super brand with VGA has actually gotten very good user reviews for it's vga quality.
                Where did you find those reviews? I tried googling but didn't find anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnz View Post
                  Where did you find those reviews? I tried googling but didn't find anything.
                  http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22660

That's one and there are others I found but forgot to bookmark.
                  My 2007 Yukon XL setup. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...64-5000-a.html

Comment

i still have a working cheap Chinese screen

good vga, typical sunlight unreadable like most screens
                    but for the price $265us vs $600+ im pretty happy with it.

http://www.b-billion.com/index.php3?function=list&id=63

Comment

i don't know how good the monitor is but i work constuction and there's an ongoing joke about tools with names such as "really good" or "awesome" in the name. no help, just throwing that in there as i thought "super" was funny.

Comment

Originally posted by hailrazer View Post
                        http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22660

That's one and there are others I found but forgot to bookmark.

Thanks for that. Looks like people who have bought them seem pretty happy with the quality.

Comment

Originally posted by toomuchtv View Post
                          i don't know how good the monitor is but i work constuction and there's an ongoing joke about tools with names such as "really good" or "awesome" in the name. no help, just throwing that in there as i thought "super" was funny.
                          Well, hope that it will be as good as my "Super Super Super" brand side-cutters. They do all right!

Just placed my order with DealExtreme a few minutes ago for US $77 total. Have read some mixed reviews but they seem reputable - at least responding to complaints on resellerratings.com. Many say they have had positive experiences there so hope I'll be one of them!

Comment

Was looking at pictures of the box and found some of the text to be Super.

"Turn the machine over, picture will be turnover"

Remember guys, and for those of you that forget to check/ask, this monitor is not a touchscreen.
                            Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

I just bought one I can't see anything wrong with it??
                              But I am a noobie so take that with a grain of salt!! looks very clear to me...
                              My only problem was it took over 2 weeks to get it!

Comment

Working...
                              X