Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transflective or not

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Transflective or not

    Installing my first Car pc and looking into which screen.
    Should i go the tranflective or not. Is it worth the extra cash.
    and can / where do you get them larger than 7 inch
    It will be an in dash installation in a toyota landcruiser
    Thanks
    Steve Byrnes

  • #2
    i havent seen any bigger than 7" for awhile. Even the 7" ones are out of stock at the mp3car store
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

    Comment


    • #3
      I've been looking for an 8" WS version and have come up with nada on who would sell to individuals. I attempted to contact FPD to see if they could convert an 8" Lilliput but never heard anything back from them so I gave up.
      Click for my projects
      2006 F150 with removable Nexus 7

      2006 Mustang with indash CarPC (Retired)

      Comment


      • #4
        i think it doesnt worth the money...
        Carputer to sell : http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/vbcl...?do=ad&id=2684

        Comment


        • #5
          transflective is 100% worth the money. That's where my graduation money (wishful thinking ) is going
          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

          Comment


          • #6
            www.linitx.com and www.cartft.com both have transflectives larger than 8inch in stock.

            I would spend the extra and get a trasflective display after owning a standard and a transflective, the difference is unbelievable. When I first unpacked my transflective I was pretty unimpressed with it as there seems to be some kind of film on it which makes the colours look slightly off, but after seeing it in full sunlight and not noticing the difference I soon forgot about that. There's no way I would trade my transflective for the sake of a little colour difference now.

            Worth its money all day long.

            Comment


            • #7
              I have a transflective and anyone saying they are not worth it is crazy. I just have a 7". Hopefully the touch controller works well on it. I installed it two days ago and it works, but when I tried 9 or 25 point linearization then it went crazy. 4 point calibration works peachy though. I got it from mobile compute or something.
              My Install

              Comment


              • #8
                i have done alot of comparing of all the monitors-- and anything you can do to reduce the glare from the sunlight can help tremendously. i ended up going with a standard touch screen, mostly becauee i didn't research it, and couldn't believe the cost of the transflective--- the glare on sunny days makes the screen useless--- i must first cover up the screen to see anything--further distracting my eyes from the road..

                if you can afford a transflective, i would highly recommend it, it is possible to make do without one though.
                My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


                next project? subaru brz
                carpc undecided

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm really surprised that there aren't more of these available commercially. You'd think with all the cars these days with these screens that they would be easier to find and cheaper.

                  Transflective with a capacitive touch screen would make for a great CarPC screen. But no, we're stuck with modified screens at outrageous prices.

                  My non-transflective screen is positioned in such a way that from my viewing angle, 90% of the screen reflects the sunroof. When it is sunny, it is downright blinding, never mind impossible to see.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by sebberry View Post
                    I'm really surprised that there aren't more of these available commercially. You'd think with all the cars these days with these screens that they would be easier to find and cheaper.

                    Transflective with a capacitive touch screen would make for a great CarPC screen. But no, we're stuck with modified screens at outrageous prices.

                    My non-transflective screen is positioned in such a way that from my viewing angle, 90% of the screen reflects the sunroof. When it is sunny, it is downright blinding, never mind impossible to see.

                    you are comparing different products-- there is a huge demand for transflective, or sunlight readable screens for car equipment manufacturers, but those are special screens, that might not be vga compatible, and the manufacturers are order large quantites of them.

                    there is very little demand for sunlight readable automotive sunlight readable vga screens. even if everyone on carputer forums had to go buy a new monitor tomorrow, we would still probably only equal half the demand (maybe less) of what the larger manufacturers use in a year.
                    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


                    next project? subaru brz
                    carpc undecided

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                      you are comparing different products-- there is a huge demand for transflective, or sunlight readable screens for car equipment manufacturers, but those are special screens, that might not be vga compatible, and the manufacturers are order large quantites of them.

                      there is very little demand for sunlight readable automotive sunlight readable vga screens. even if everyone on carputer forums had to go buy a new monitor tomorrow, we would still probably only equal half the demand (maybe less) of what the larger manufacturers use in a year.
                      I don't know the specifics of the panels that the auto makers use, but I would suspect that it is very similar to the ones we use. My guess is that the electronics are different to accept a different input but that's all. Who knows. Not me

                      I would assume that a 640x480 panel is driven the same way regardless of what board is attached to the back of it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Consider LED backlit. Better than standard, but cheaper than transflective.
                        PROGRESS:
                        Hardware: 100%
                        Software: 99% - Always upgrading and improving.
                        Installation: 100%

                        WORKLOG:
                        2005 F-150

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Tical84 View Post
                          Consider LED backlit. Better than standard, but cheaper than transflective.
                          But the touchscreen overlay still becomes a mirror when the sun hits it.

                          I can see that working ok if it is mounted down low near the gear selector, but up higher on the dash it can be very dangerous.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I have a 629 led backlit, and it does help, but as sebberry said, it is the touchscreen overlay that is causing the glare. From what I have read, having the screen modified to a transflective is the best ballance between light transmission and sunlight readability.

                            There are other overlays that you can apply yourself, but most will affect the light output, or color of the screen
                            My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                            "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


                            next project? subaru brz
                            carpc undecided

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Whether it's worth it or not comes down to the user. I have a standard EBY701, probably one of the cheapest screens available, and it is completely visible 99% of the time. For the 1% of the time I can't see it (direct, very bright sun), I just put my hand over the screen and bam, problem solved.

                              LED backlight doesnt guarantee that the screen is better than standard ccfl. I looked at the specs for the Lilliput screens and the led version (with the Innolux panel) is actually less bright than the ccfl version with the Hitachi panel.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X