Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting a flip-down

Hey all,

I have two 15" Lanzar flip-down screens, they're older and pretty hefty... each one weighs about 8 pounds.. they come with metal mounting plates, but I can't help but think I'm going to need something sturdy to screw into like a piece of 1/2" plywood bonded to the roof skin or something otherwise the headliner would hang like sleeve of wizard.

If it makes a difference, they're going in a '95 Cadillac DeVille - here's a pic of the mounting plate on the monitor:

Thanks!

i don't know about your car specifically, but most cars have a body support frame going along the roof between the b-pillars; the b-pillars being between your front and rear doors. there should be holes or channels along the body support that you can run the screws through, i believe you'll need to cut an "X" in the headliner where the screen goes to get to the support (make sure the X isn't bigger than the screen, or you'll see cuts after it's installed)

my advice is to be taken with a grain of salt on this topic, as i've never installed one before, but i do know that the only thing in most cars strong enough to support that would be that support beam.
    Scion xB G2
    Planning: [----------]
    Parts: [----------]
    Install: [----------]

My Scion PC Project (put on hold until I find a nicer host):
    Worklog

Comment

Thanks for the insight SCIONology, I will definitely pull the headliner tomorrow and see exactly what's hanging around up there.

Comment

this might help:
        if you look at your headliner, you can usually see a bump across the middle, that's where the support is:

mine is hard to see but if you look right above the pillar you'll see the dip or bump, the cabin light is mounted to it.
        Scion xB G2
        Planning: [----------]
        Parts: [----------]
        Install: [----------]

My Scion PC Project (put on hold until I find a nicer host):
        Worklog

Comment

Working...
        X