Did I mess up?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I mess up?

I just won a 7'' Power Acoustik touch screen Monitor on Ebay. I just found out its resolution is 1440 x 234 I want to use this screen for Mp3s and possibly GPS. What would you suggest now that I have this screen?

being that you have the screen already, you could use a vga-to-composite adapter to use it temporarily(or permenantly) until you have the funds for a vga monitor, or you could re-ebay(rebay?) it, and use the funds towards a purchase of a vga screen.
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
      being that you have the screen already, you could use a vga-to-composite adapter to use it temporarily(or permenantly) until you have the funds for a vga monitor, or you could re-ebay(rebay?) it, and use the funds towards a purchase of a vga screen.
      Like these? http://cgi.ebay.com/VGA-to-3-RCA-TV-...item5ad63eb4c7

http://cgi.ebay.com/PC-VGA-to-TV-RCA...item1c0f507854

Comment

1440x234 is technically accurate but not accurate in the sense that most know about. RGB takes 3 lights per pixel, so really the screen is 480x234 This is not VGA, and you will be very unhappy with the results.

Just put it back up on ebay, and buy a VGA touchscreen. If the seller hasnt shipped it yet, then contact them and say sorry, offer to pay the $5-$10 listing and closing fees and cut your losses now. You wont recoup all your money re-ebaying (same ? as above )
        Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
        1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
        30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
        Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
          1440x234 is technically accurate but not accurate in the sense that most know about. RGB takes 3 lights per pixel, so really the screen is 480x234 This is not VGA, and you will be very unhappy with the results.

Just put it back up on ebay, and buy a VGA touchscreen. If the seller hasnt shipped it yet, then contact them and say sorry, offer to pay the $5-$10 listing and closing fees and cut your losses now. You wont recoup all your money re-ebaying (same ? as above )
          Well is it good enough for a temporary start up?

Comment

Originally posted by m35x_touareg View Post
            Well is it good enough for a temporary start up?
            The one thing you look at every time you use your PC is the screen. It is in essense the portal to the CarPC world.

I would never tolerate it. Especially since a VGA screens are $160 to $200 on ebay brand new.
            Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
            1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
            30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
            15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
            Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

i can see both sides here-- if you already have the screen in your hands, then using the second link you posted would work(the first link is for a non-powered cable).

here is the difference between vga and composite video signals-- try to stay with me

composite video signals are limited to about 480 lines of resolution, and cannot offer any more resolution.

vga signals support multiple, higher resolutions, typically starting at 800x600 (though sometimes, with certain hardware, i believe that you can get a lower resolution, like 480x600...). as you should have noticed, there is a huge difference in the minimum resolutions-- meaning that the vga-to-tv converter is removing information to squeeze the 800x600 screen into a 480x*(i can't remember the vertical line rez). so it is removing almost half of the information that makes the vga screen easy to read-- so smaller text, and graphics don't look as amazing as they did on the vga screen...

like i had said before, it is completly doable if you want it to be, but it will cost you clarity, and a couple extra bucks to make it work..

next project? subaru brz
              carpc undecided

Comment

Soundman will the touch screen still work?

Comment

if it connects through usb/rs232(most 7" vga screens use usb these days), then you might be able to install the drivers and get it to work. if it doesn't have either usb or rs232, then i do not think that it will work without some sort modification.

next project? subaru brz
                  carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
                  X