LED Backlight VS Transflective

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED Backlight VS Transflective

I'm itching to get a sunlight readable screen in my car (8" 3:4 Lilliput). The transflective screens are a relatively large investment. I was wondering if the bright LED backlights are good enough for sunlight usage compared to the transflective screens.

I've been searching around but I havn't noticed a comparison yet. Probably done a long time ago.
    --------------------------
    Software Developed:
    DS-ATX Controller Interface
    Laptop Shutdown Controller

Considered Projects:
    TPMS Interface
    Bluetooth Handsfree Interface (WIDCOMM/BROADCOMM)

there used to be images somewhere in the store section, but i can't seem to find them anymore...

anyways, i have the a 629gl led screen, and a convertible-- for the cost, it is a good monitor, but sunlight readability is crap compared to transflectives-- i must place my hand over the display to shade the display to read it, and then press where the button should be...

it works for me because i really cant' justify the nearly $700 cost for a single piece of equipment for a hobby, but i can definatly see how it annoys others...
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Simple answer....yes if they are bright enough. As far as exactly how bright they need to be...that depends on a lot of variables. Theres a few threads of people with 1000+nit screens that say they completely overpower the sun...but again thats opinion.
      openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
      - Always Recruiting Developers -
      Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Well, I'll just go with the transflective route. I can get them a bit cheaper than $700.
        Software Developed:

Considered Projects:
        TPMS Interface

Comment

Originally posted by Ineffigy View Post
          Well, I'll just go with the transflective route. I can get them a bit cheaper than $700.
          Not all transflectives are made equal. You do get what you pay for. It needs to be at least VGA quality, with VGA/DVI input. Should be completely optically bonded, especially between the touchscreen and the lcd panel. Why spend $500 and get crap when you should have spent the $700 to begin with.

As Judge Milian says, "the cheap comes out expensive".
          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

The exact screens in the mp3car store for 700 go for just over 500 if you know where to look.
            openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
            - Always Recruiting Developers -
            Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
              The exact screens in the mp3car store for 700 go for just over 500 if you know where to look.
              If you are talking about the ebay transflectives or the motorcity ones, both are not anywhere near the quality. mp3car sends these off custom as one-offs. Therefore you cannot find the same thing elsewhere, that simple.
              Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
              1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
              30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
              15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
              Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Just because it's LED backlit doesnt mean it will be bright. For example if you compare the specs on the CCFL and the LED backlit EBY701 panels, the CCFL is actually brighter. LED is more durable and reliable though.

Comment

If I had known how much better the transflective screen is, I would have got that in the first place instead of wasting my money on the LED. In fact, the transflective ended up cheaper due to the exchange rate being higher now for the AUD :P

I had the Lilliput 629 LED edition, and during the day/sunlight there was no chance of comfortably being able to read/see anything. I now have a 629 Transflective (from MP3Car) and even with a random screen protector on there, I can see it quite fine in sunlight. It is awesome.

Comment

Thanks for the reassurance guys. MP3Car.com doesn't sell capacitive touch screens in a 8 inch 3:4 aspect ratio form factor, so MP3Car.com wouldn't be the place to purchase the screen I want. If I missed it, PLEASE point it out.

I currently have an 8 inch 3:4 Lilliput with the 5 wire resistive touch screen which is constantly out of alignment due to the temperature fluctuations here in Texas. My capacitive Windows Mobile 6 phone is always in alignment so I think the technology speaks for itself.
                    Software Developed:

Considered Projects:
                    TPMS Interface

Comment

all i know is after having my eby701 "sunlight readable" screen that i paid $300 shipped for off ebay i have no desire for a newer/better screen. the biggest problem is the 7" size, i would much rather have 9 or 10". but for sunlight readability, its plenty good. granted, i dont have a convertible, but i have yet to be in a situation where i cant read the screen. i know the consensus here is to spend $700 on a screen, but for most people i really dont think its necessary.

Comment

That's good to hear. I personally would rather pay more to get exactly what I want rather than less to get almost what I want. The thing is, I havn't seen either in person and all I have to go off of is all of your reports. Just keep em comming.
                        Software Developed:

Considered Projects:
                        TPMS Interface

Comment

you cant get too good, i know that. it is an area where you just spend what you can afford basically. i had the same fears as you, when i bought this eby "sunlight readable" i really didnt know what to expect because its not clear what they mean by sunlight readable. i was relieved to find that its actually too bright at night, and during sunny days i can still tell whats going on without trouble, even though im sure the more expensive screens perform a lot better.

Comment

Well given I have both the 629 LED and the 629 LED Transflective, I can try get a side-by-side comparison for you. Provided my cigarette lighter still works, I will try find some time to do it this weekend.

Comment

zillacles, can you update us on your comparison please? I'm looking into upgrading to the transflective model.
                              2007 Camry Altise In-dash Car PC

Comment

Working...
                              X