Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is Xenarc or Lilliput going to make a..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is Xenarc or Lilliput going to make a..

Double-Din capacitive touch LCD screen? The resistive touch technology is ancient nowadays. Would like to have a nice capacitive glass LCD.

Educate me, what's the advantage? (seriously, I don't know anything about the different technologies)

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by RonsRed88 View Post
      Educate me, what's the advantage? (seriously, I don't know anything about the different technologies)

Ron
      Resistive uses pressure to complete a small circuit to recognize a touch on the screen; capacative uses the electrical current generated by your body.
      You are never done installing a CarPC.

Comment

Yeah the capacitive touch are like the ones the iPhone and Ipod Touch uses. It supports multi touch. So yeah, U would think that these 2 monitor manufactures would created a Double DIN one since the monitors they sell go mostly in vehicles.

Comment

if you are only interested in it for multi touch, manufacturers are starting to develop multi touch resistive overlays.

even then, how much is multi touch really needed in the car? imo, it requires too much concentration to use.

i really don't see any advantage of capacitive screens over resistive other than responsiveness, and even then, i occaisionally have issues with my iphone not responding to my dryed out hands...

i am kind of surpised that neither offers a DD solution, and that we must resort to a bybte frame to do the job...
          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

Comment

Well, aren't capacitive screens completely transparent, while resisitive are muddy/milky? That's big in the car, for sunlight readability.
            Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
            Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Capacitive screens don't work as well in the temperature extremes (hence their use in everything but auto).

Anyway, to answer the question, lilliput should have a multi-touch 7" out in about 4 months.
              openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
              - Always Recruiting Developers -
              Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

The screen technology available to us is waaaaay behind the curve. Bright, transreflective screens with capacitive touch are everywhere in the mobile phone world, and have been for a while now. It seems to me that phones operate in the same temperature extremes that carpc monitors do (since the phone often gets left in the car). We're a low volume market, so we get the table scraps. That is why we have to pay $500 or more for a monitor that doesn't wash out in sunlight.
                My car PC page, with pictures

Comment

By the way... multi-touch doesn't make much sense in the car. It's dangerous enough to be looking at the screen when driving, let alone trying to do some sort of multi finger gesture.
                  My car PC page, with pictures

Comment

^^^ I don't disagree with you 100%, but note this:

1. Why do people always assume the driver is the only one who is going to be using the carputer? My wife uses it a lot!

2. Why people assume that the more complex interactions of the driver with the computer happens when the car is moving, and hence "dangerous"?

Remember most OEM Navs are locked when the car moves, and still, people buy them and use them. They simply stop the car, or use them at traffic lights, or hack the thing and let the passenger (YES, some people drive with passengers! ) use them even when moving!
                    Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                    Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

also, one finger vs 2 or more is no more dangerous. in fact, you could make better use of gestures with multitouch so that a driver doesn't have to perform repeated screen presses on a specific control to perform an action. it would also clear up some screen real estate by removing unneeded controls.
                      EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
                      Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                      OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
                      Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
                      BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
                      VoomPC 2

Comment

Working...
                      X