8" Screens....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8" Screens....

I see everyone using 7" screens, and most places are selling 7" already in a bezel ready for mounting. I drive an H3 with a full size double din, and I believe I can fit an 8" screen in there. Is there a reason (other than size) that 7" is so much more popular than 8"? Is there any place that has these screens already in bezels to save myself some work? If not, how bout a place that already has 8" screens (preferabally the 889GL-80NP) out of the manufacturer's housing?

Thanks in advance...

due to the double din dimensions, 7" is the easiest to fit-- making it the most popular.

a din opening is 2"x7", double din is exactly as it sounds-- 4"x7"

7" is simply more popular because there is less hacking that needs to be done-- and with the bybyte kit, they are just bolt in-- making it almost as easy as installing a normal radio.
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

yeap, 8in would require custom work.I have one in my jetta had to hack the case, epoxy the case to the radio cage and then some bondo. not hard if your not afraid of messing with all that.

dont have any pics sorry.

889gl I think... the lilliput widescreen.

Comment

you can do it. i started mine tonight.
        Attached Files

Comment

Honestly once you go 8" youll never want another 7" screen its definitely worth the work to install one, its just so much easier to get my fat fingers on the controls of an 8" screen accurately. Infact, now that Ive upgraded the dash to an 8" screen, Im considering something VERY custom and going for 10" +

Its up to you tho really, how much work are you willing to put into the project ? and most importantly will your wife be realllllllly mad for carving up the family car hehe

Pete

Comment

I have an 8" and I didn't have to hack or epoxy anything in my double din 2005 F-150.
            PROGRESS:
            Hardware: 100%
            Software: 99% - Always upgrading and improving.
            Installation: 100%

WORKLOG:
            2005 F-150

Comment

Originally posted by Tical84 View Post
              I have an 8" and I didn't have to hack or epoxy anything in my double din 2005 F-150.
              Cool, but some of us are not so lucky.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tical84 View Post
                Are you using the Lilliput 889GL? Do you have the dimensions of it outside the case?

Comment

Yes, the 889GL.
                  The entire touch screen are is about 116mm x 194mm with an active area of about 76mm x 99mm. I measured with a tape measure because my calipers only go to 6" so I may be off be a mm or two.

If anyone has an 04-08 F-150 or 05-09 maybe 10 (I think) Mustang I can give you a .cdr file (or just the dimensions) of the piece I lasered out of 1/8" ABS to use as a frame. You can check out my worklog for a pic or two.
                  PROGRESS:
                  Hardware: 100%
                  Software: 99% - Always upgrading and improving.
                  Installation: 100%

WORKLOG:
                  2005 F-150

Comment

Working...
                  X