Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choosing an LCD for flip down in a car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Choosing an LCD for flip down in a car

    I want a 10-15" monitor with a resolution of at least 1024.
    It will be hidden from view when the car is parked.
    Mounted to the roof where it either flips down, or you just pull it off with velcro and put it on the dash while its in use.
    It will be a secondary display.
    The primary display will be a 20x4 alphanumeric LCD, for basic stuff like playing music etc.

    The LCD will be for web browsing, email, navigation, etc etc.

    Things I don't care about:
    * If the LCD comes with a flipdown mechanism
    * Touchscreen (would be nice, but don't need it)

    Things I do care about
    * Must be thin
    * Must run on DC (12V or Laptop LCD)
    * Price $250 or less.
    * Minimum 1024 native horizontal resolution

    Most of the touchscreen LCDs I've seen are some combination of thick/low resolution/expensive/small compared to the following 2 options.

    There are a lot of 12V desktop LCDs that are cheap, but they are also quite thick/heavy.
    Is it possible to remove most of the electronics and junk from the back of a deskop LCD so it can be as thin as a laptop LCD?

    Laptop screens (running off the laptop they came with, with extended LVDS wires) require no power supply and are extremely thin and lightweight.
    It seems the most practical solution is to buy a laptop, then extend the LVDS cables to a few meters so the laptop is somewhere inside the dash and the screen is on the roof.
    Even a brand new laptop with 15" screen and resolution of 1366x768 is only $400.
    I know its been done before, so I'm not worried about the wiring.
    I'm not worried about electrical noise, I can always use twisted pair with extra ground wires. Or use shielded cable etc.

    I'm basically wondering if the desktop LCD can be made thinner/lighter. Because they are a lot cheaper and most of the components that come with a laptop I don't want/need. So its a bit of a waste of money.

    =================
    Setup I'm thinking of
    USB wireless adapter (mounted on/near roof)
    USB 3G/HSPDA adapter (mounted on/near roof)
    USB GPS receiver (mounted on/near roof)
    USB Soundcard (mounted next to amp)
    20x4 Alphanumeric LCD in the front
    15" LCD on the roof
    Mouse/keyboard stashed away somewhere.

    This was my last install. The panel containing the 20x4 LCD and keypad could be pulled off then dropped inside the dash when the car was parked.
    (The opening was in 2 sections, it was missing a bottom panel, which I didn't get around to making)

  • #2
    This monitor could be what you want.

    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...022&CatId=5469

    LED back light, good resolution, and it is DC powered so I know the components inside are thin.

    Comment


    • #3
      Here is the screen that I use. It is the only good priced one that has VGA built in. Its bigger then you want though. http://www.eonon.com/Car-Monitors/Flip-Down/E1019.html

      Here are pictures of mine installed. This screen is somewhat heavy and I actually had to make reinforcement bars for it.









      I will say this though, the screen has a few cool features like IR headphone use, nice bright display, and even battery protection. If your battery is too low, the screen will not power on.

      The screen does not have touch screen, but since it is for the rear, they can control it with a windows media remote that has a built in mouse.
      Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

      1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
      4X MK808b
      3x Perixx Touchpads
      3x 7 inch Screens
      1X 7 inch motorized Screen
      1x Win 7 PC

      Comment


      • #4
        tft_lcd_org: wow that monitor is CHEAP! nice find. low power consumption too.
        But being in South Africa its more practical for me to just get this LG E1940S
        (its nearly double the price, but brighter, bigger, double the contrast, and thinner: only 17mm)
        I do have a friend who comes here regularly from USA who I can ask to bring me stuff, but I try keep it to small stuff


        HiJack: Thats pretty cool

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
          Here is the screen that I use. It is the only good priced one that has VGA built in. Its bigger then you want though. http://www.eonon.com/Car-Monitors/Flip-Down/E1019.html

          Here are pictures of mine installed. This screen is somewhat heavy and I actually had to make reinforcement bars for it.

          I will say this though, the screen has a few cool features like IR headphone use, nice bright display, and even battery protection. If your battery is too low, the screen will not power on.

          The screen does not have touch screen, but since it is for the rear, they can control it with a windows media remote that has a built in mouse.
          I have the same screen and it is an EXCELLENT screen. Wonderful contrast/colors/brightness and great viewing angles.

          Highly recommended.
          My 2007 Yukon XL setup. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...64-5000-a.html

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by hailrazer View Post
            I have the same screen and it is an EXCELLENT screen. Wonderful contrast/colors/brightness and great viewing angles.

            Highly recommended.
            I agree, really love Eonon's products. If I wasnt into the Car PC thing, I would probably use their headunit products. Its funny because Shark brand is usually rebadged Eonon stuff. For some reason though i have never had good luck with Shark. Always seems to break. Maybe Shark uses Eonon's reject parts. Did you have to reinforce it in your car?
            Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

            1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
            4X MK808b
            3x Perixx Touchpads
            3x 7 inch Screens
            1X 7 inch motorized Screen
            1x Win 7 PC

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
              I agree, really love Eonon's products. If I wasnt into the Car PC thing, I would probably use their headunit products. Its funny because Shark brand is usually rebadged Eonon stuff. For some reason though i have never had good luck with Shark. Always seems to break. Maybe Shark uses Eonon's reject parts. Did you have to reinforce it in your car?
              Hmm maybe. I have used Shark products quite often and never had a problem or been disappointed with them.

              And I probably will have to reinforce it. I am gathering everything together to put in my new 2008 Acadia. I will post a worklog when I get started.
              My 2007 Yukon XL setup. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...64-5000-a.html

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by hailrazer View Post
                Hmm maybe. I have used Shark products quite often and never had a problem or been disappointed with them.

                And I probably will have to reinforce it. I am gathering everything together to put in my new 2008 Acadia. I will post a worklog when I get started.
                I love the Acadia..... I has a lot of space and third row seats!
                Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

                1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                4X MK808b
                3x Perixx Touchpads
                3x 7 inch Screens
                1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                1x Win 7 PC

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
                  Here is the screen that I use. It is the only good priced one that has VGA built in. Its bigger then you want though. http://www.eonon.com/Car-Monitors/Flip-Down/E1019.html

                  Here are pictures of mine installed. This screen is somewhat heavy and I actually had to make reinforcement bars for it.









                  I will say this though, the screen has a few cool features like IR headphone use, nice bright display, and even battery protection. If your battery is too low, the screen will not power on.

                  The screen does not have touch screen, but since it is for the rear, they can control it with a windows media remote that has a built in mouse.
                  God damned, I was considering to buy this monitor few months ago, but I don't trust those cheap Chinese s**t. Can you give me more information about this monitor? For example how long you are using it, or whats the quality of manufacturing?
                  I don't wanna be a product of my environment.
                  I want my environment to be product of me.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Its actually not built cheap at all. Its built very very well. Picture quality is awesome. Ive had the monitor for about a year. Have only used it a few times. The only issue is the weight, this screen is very heavy. If you reinforce your roof like I did, you will not have issues. I tried to install without the bars and 2 months later it came off the roof.
                    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

                    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                    4X MK808b
                    3x Perixx Touchpads
                    3x 7 inch Screens
                    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                    1x Win 7 PC

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I will made some kind of reinforcement because I will add stereo speakers next to the monitor. Maybe some kind like this PIONEER TS-X 200. In case that somebody will listen same thing like me. And BTW what's the finish of the screen,glossy or matt? Are you using infra red headphones?
                      I don't wanna be a product of my environment.
                      I want my environment to be product of me.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BADMOPAR View Post
                        I will made some kind of reinforcement because I will add stereo speakers next to the monitor. Maybe some kind like this PIONEER TS-X 200. In case that somebody will listen same thing like me. And BTW what's the finish of the screen,glossy or matt? Are you using infra red headphones?
                        The finish is Matte. I cant imagine a glossy finish being a good thing on a gaint 19 inch screen inside a car, lol. I will not be using the IR headphones because remember my install has 7 Car PC units. So instead I added a headphone jack to each armrest.
                        Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

                        1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                        4X MK808b
                        3x Perixx Touchpads
                        3x 7 inch Screens
                        1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                        1x Win 7 PC

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I can't imagine a glossy finish inside a car too, but I'm asking only fore sure
                          I don't wanna be a product of my environment.
                          I want my environment to be product of me.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Hey guys, you've hijacked my thread... I'm gonna bust a cap!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              do you have to reinforce using bars or will really big washers do the trick? Would there be space enough for the eonons?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X