Single DIN or small screen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single DIN or small screen

I'm starting to think about a setup of some sort for my E30 BMW and from looking around the few E30 threads on here a normal screen looks out of place in the old style dash.

Are there any screens out there the same size as a headunit, single din, or half a headunit so 2 can be placed next to each other? Touch screen would be even better if it exists at that size.

Thanks,
    Jozi

there are single din displays that pop-up, but most are very poor quality--both for models from lilliput, and xenarc.

the only screen i am unsure of is the single din one from revosys. there are no reviews on it, but it has metal gears-- something that neither lilli, or xenarc option has..
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Soundman, thanks for your reply.

I didn't think of popup screens but it's not what I'm after, I can't say I'm a fan of them, judging by a few posts here I spotted neither are to many others.

I googled a bit but couldn't find anything except a few headunits where the whole face was a touch screen, something like this only I'm after just the screen part of it.

Comment

ah, different concept.. i have not seen any color 2" x 7" touch screens for the consumer market...

a common approach for this though is monochromatic screens from companies like matrix orbital:
        http://www.matrixorbital.com/GX-Seri..._17/index.html

these are actually designed for installing in the drive bays of a normal computer tower, but you should be able to set them up to display song info, and other text.. but they do have multicolor backlights...

you can use something like those displays, and something like a griffin powermate controller, and then you could have control over the main carpc funtions..

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

I remember them from my pc modding days

It would probably work as well and not look as out of place as a colour screen would in a old car.

What about a 2x3" screen is something that small available? 2 of them next to each other would work for me as well. Would be nice to have a proper colour screen that can do videos if I wanted.

Comment

i was just looking at small composite displays of that size for a different project-- and there are some that support computer inputs.. here is the general link to the site-- there are multiple different options for color screens that size:

http://www.aeicomp.com/LCD_Modules.a...LCD%20Monitors

next project? subaru brz
            carpc undecided

Comment

Something like this looks good http://www.aeicomp.com/Detail.asp?Pr...06_LCD35QVGATS two of them side by side, pity it's a little bit to tall to fill the hole the headunit is in. The 2" ones would be a good hight I guess, not half the width of the hole and they don't have monitor connection on them. A widescreen version would be perfect.

Whats with some of the resolutions between the different sizes?

Comment

I've done a little bit of googling earlier and found a single Din slot to be 180x50mm (7.2"x2.11")

Looking at some of the spec sizes given here: http://www.aeicomp.com/LCD_Modules.a...LCD%20Monitors a 3.5" screen is a little bit to tall to fit in a din slot, maybe a headunit bezel will give the needed extra height?

Can some one tell me what problems I'll run into with non-standard resolutions?

Comment

Working...
                X