No announcement yet.

Getting an LCD for my new install

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting an LCD for my new install

I've swapped cars, the new one is a Porsche 911 (996) Carrera 2. Since most threads are useless (ok, not useless, but more fun!) with pics, here goes:

So, it's actually got the big stereo option with navigation (which now is old and quite frankly: crap), telephone, big screen, CD-changer and optional amp in the bac... Sorry, in the front:

Didn't have a better picture of the dash so I stole this one as it looks mostly the same:

Still got my Centrafuse-based carputer laying around, all it needs is a screen. If I remove the old unit I've got a width of 18,7 cm to play with. I ordered this double-din conversion kit just to get the plastic frame which should help integrate the new screen nicely:

I am open for some Dremel handy-work to get an even wider screen than double-din in there.

As you should know by now, size matters. My hope is to get an 8 inch 4:3 screen in there. With so much horizontal space widescreen would be a waste. Also, screen sun-readability and user comfort is also welcome so if I could add capacitive touch as well I'd be set.

I did a bit of googling and ebaying to find the bits I need but I still haven't found what I'm looking for. (extra kudos if you're a fan )

Parhaps you mp3car-geniouses know of bits that would get me close to this goal or actually know of a capacitive 8 inch screen that would make me and my Porsche very happy. In advance, thanx!
    - Thorstein Klingenberg
    - Porsche 996 (911 from '98 to '05)
    - Flush mounted 8" TS in dash with laptop-based carputer, too much to list.