Picking a 10" Screen..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking a 10" Screen..

I'm looking for a 10" touch to be custom-installed (i.e. custom-fabbed dash panels) in a 2007 BMW X3. Looking on the store, I saw this one, however I would prefer widescreen over 4:3.

The tricky part is, the amount of space I have is extremely limited, as this entire project is to be reversible -- the car needs to be able to be relatively easily reverted to its stock configuration.

As such, I'm definitely looking for a very thin, open frame 10" touchscreen. Some sort of HD input is preferred, however the power and touch connections have no restrictions -- anything will work. It will be "set back," as in the new BMW models (see this and this). Sunlight-readable is not a huge concern.

Do you think I should sacrifice the widescreen and go with that 4:3, or do you all have some better ideas?

maybe look into using a netbook? i know i have seen a couple of those that tout that they have a 10" 16:9 layout..
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

I wouldn't go widescreen, if I could chose, but space requirements should dictate that.

Have seen these ones? HDMI, DVI, and sunlight readable ones. More importantly, wide viewing angles, which is paramount in the car. Not cheap, though, but they're thin, open frame, and you have the technical drawing with all dimensions so that may help.
      Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
      Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98
        maybe look into using a netbook? i know i have seen a couple of those that tout that they have a 10" 16:9 layout..
        I have been looking into possible netbooks to use, however I would need to split off the attached screen and run cables for it back to the trunk. If I use a netbook, I'll use the netbook's hardware for the computer itself, meaning it would be mounted in the trunk.

I'm not sure how feasible it would be to extend a monitor such as that. Any thoughts?

Originally posted by RipplingHurst
        I wouldn't go widescreen, if I could chose, but space requirements should dictate that.

Have seen these ones? HDMI, DVI, and sunlight readable ones. More importantly, wide viewing angles, which is paramount in the car. Not cheap, though, but they're thin, open frame, and you have the technical drawing with all dimensions so that may help.
        Those are definitely what I'm looking for, although not the highest resolution. What puts them out of the picture for me is the price, sadly. I simply don't have the money to put that much down on the monitor alone. The dimensions definitely check out though.

I just edited my frontend to a 1024x768 resolution. It works, and doesn't look too bad. A 4:3 will work well, but I need a thin, native 1024x768, and not pocket-emptying solution.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Comment

hmm, i know that at least one person extended their netbook screen about 6ft using cat5 cable..(search for it )

i am really not sure if extending all the way to the trunk would work then.. maybe mount it in the glovebox, or under a seat instead?
          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

Comment

I'm using the trunk because of the dual power source (one switched, one not), vehicle Bluetooth module, and IBUS connection, all of which are found in the trunk. I don't have the option of moving it, unfortunately.

I had searched for methods of extending the mointor of a laptop or netbook and hadn't found much, but I'll look around again, possible using Cat5 as part of the search.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X