Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinnest 7 - 8.5" Mobile LCD / OLED screen with casing and uses tv rca input?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinnest 7 - 8.5" Mobile LCD / OLED screen with casing and uses tv rca input?

I'm looking for the thinnest 7" lcd screen for a car. Just a screen in a standard plastic casing. Not looking for one with a stand, or a motorized one from the dash, or an overhead on that flips down from the roof. I am just looking for the lcd I can find. I am hoping to find one that is 1/2 inch thick or so. I have found one that is .75 inches thick...

It needs to have a minimum of one video in port. Two would be ideal. The ports dont have to be in the case but can be connected to a wire running out of the screen. It also needs to have the power connections to run on 12 volts. I have looked all over on eBay but I was wondering if anyone knew of a super thin lcd or led. I need it for a backup camera and to output video from my Samsung Captivate to it to have a nice screen for GPS.

Something similar to this put thinner: http://www.ecbuys.com/car-lcd-and-ca...itor-p-52.html

If you remove it from the case, you'll find that the LCD itself is quite thin. They usually stack the video card on the back. By taking it apart, you can separate the two.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I'm looking for much the same thing in an 8" display. No video-in required but 800x600 or greater VGA resolution. A single connector would be ideal. Two, I could work with, but the smaller the better.
      HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

this site has open frame monitors, though they are all mostly 5/8" thick..
        http://www.aeicomp.com/LCD_Modules.a...LCD%20Monitors
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
          If you remove it from the case, you'll find that the LCD itself is quite thin. They usually stack the video card on the back. By taking it apart, you can separate the two.
          Interesting. If you look here, http://www.f150forum.com/f7/has-anyo...upgrade-67384/, in the third post down you will see where and how I am trying to mount this. So a case unfortunately is needed...

However, I see a few new options. Maybe I can mount this UNDER the dash. So I cut the dash out in the same size as the LCD put the lcd underneath it. Then when I fold the lcd down, it looks like a single piece of dash if done right....

Or I could do what you said and separate the video card and lcd. Then I can shave down the back half of the casing to make it thinner.

Im going to go tinker for a bit

Comment

Okay I think I found a better way to install the LCD. What if we mount the lcd UNDER the plastic piece in the dash. Cut out a hole that will allow the lcd to flip up from. Then put the plastic piece you cut out for the hole on the back of the lcd so that when it is down, it is flush with the dash. This way it is hidden and out of view.

I decided to mock this up again using cardboard. Using my cardboard mockup of the lcd size (3/4 inch thick), it *should* fit under the plastic piece just fine. Im going to use a laptop tablet swivel hinge so the lcd can flip up and down but also swivel side to side...
            Attached Files

Comment

Hum I may want to have it flip forward. It I have it flip back, I cant swivel as it butts up against the glass.

Comment

nice idea. this may interest you
                Current:
                [BMW E46 ///M3 Convertible]

Previous:
                [BMW E31 850CSi]|[BMW E39 535i]|[BMW HVAC Research]|[IBUS Scrolling Text]|[BMPuter]|[Velocity]|[TomTom]|[Vision]|[Space Navigator Driver]|[Super Fast Boot]

Comment

also, search for bugbytes lcd install video.
                  My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                  "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                  carpc undecided

Comment

Ideally this is what I would like to have: http://www.podecoet.org/projects/dashLCD/

Anyone know someone else on these forums who used a stepper or dc motor to flip the lcd?

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
                      Okay Bugbyte, I happened across your video on you tube. I would love to modify my screen to flip up like that. Can you point me to where I can learn how you did that?

Comment

I think you should flip it forward indeed, as it will be closer to the driver this way. I like the idea of using a tablet hinge, did you abandon that?

You could use reduce the two mounts on the hinge bar to a single (forming an "Y" shape) flat pole in the back of the screen to slide it up and down the hinge, but that wouldn't be very elegant (awkward position to move unaided). I use an iron bar inside the slot on the back of my screen for movement, but actually I don't use it that much, and I can't think of having to use it all the time).
                        Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                        Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Still working on it. I got the lcd a few days ago. They didnt send me the right a/v cables so Im trying to decide what to do next. The lcd did come with a built in mechanism to adjust up and down. I think I will fashion a metal plat that the hinge connects to and use that to connect to the groove in the lcd.

Comment

What LCD did you choose? Post pictures of the install when possible, please.

Thanks and good luck with your install.
                            Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                            Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
                              What LCD did you choose? Post pictures of the install when possible, please.

Thanks and good luck with your install.
                              Since I am just using an LCD for a backup monitor and to output a display from my captivate (android phone), I chose a cheap lcd. I got http://www.ecbuys.com/car-lcd-and-ca...mera-p-81.html. Unfortunately, the wiring they sent only allows for one video in, not two like described.

I should have gotten http://www.chinavasion.com/headrest-...t-lcd-monitor/ which clearly shows the connections for two inputs.

Comment

Working...
                              X