Lilliput 669GL-70NP Extending HDMI Cable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lilliput 669GL-70NP Extending HDMI Cable

the 669 has the usb and hdmi cable combined, so it goes from Hdmi to hdmi-usb. Would it be possible to plug a normal hdmi cable up to the monitor then plug there hdmi-usb cable up to that, so you could still use the touch screen?

HDMI Cable --> Adapter --> hdmi-usb cable
    2002 Honda Civic Ex --Worklog

you can use a HDMI extension cord and it'll work just fine. Monoprice sells them for pretty cheap
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Thanks I wasn't sure if they did something special to the hdmi-usb cable they have included and I'll check out that site.

Comment

I've already ran my HDMI and USB cables in my truck with a USB hub in the dash. can i just a USB cable to the hub or do i have to use the hybrid cable?

Comment

Originally posted by dethbyoogabooga View Post
          I've already ran my HDMI and USB cables in my truck with a USB hub in the dash. can i just a USB cable to the hub or do i have to use the hybrid cable?
          not quite sure what you mean. If you have seperate HDMI and usb cables it wont work, as the HDMI/USB cable that comes with the 669 combines to HDMI when connected to the monitor.
          mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
          Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
          Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

A cheaper solution you may want to consider is running HDMI over CAT5.

In my new project I'll be running HDMI and 2 USB lines over 2 CAT5 cables. Means everything is nicely shielded and a buttload cheaper than shielded HDMI and USB extension cables.
            2004 HSV Clubsport M6
            Gear: i3 4130T, 8GB DDR3, ASRock Z87E-ITX, Noctua cooler, PicoPSU 150W, OpenUPS + SLA battery, 2DIN Samsung 7" screen with ITX enclosure, Win8 64 Pro

Progress: [||||||| ] 80% - Planning done, Parts aqcuired, Benchtesting at 50%

Comment

I don't know the hdmi cables are pretty cheap:
              http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...=10240#1024010

Comment

Originally posted by cla1067 View Post
                I don't know the hdmi cables are pretty cheap:
                http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...=10240#1024010
                Cat5e usually goes for about 50cents a metre (in Aus, which is actually the same in the US at the moment). For HDMI I would go for Cat6 which is a bit more expensive.

The benefit to Cat5/6 is you can run exactly as much as you need and it can actually carry a variety of different stuff. In the case of the USB/HDMI comb lilliput use, you could easily extend that using cat6.
                2004 HSV Clubsport M6
                Gear: i3 4130T, 8GB DDR3, ASRock Z87E-ITX, Noctua cooler, PicoPSU 150W, OpenUPS + SLA battery, 2DIN Samsung 7" screen with ITX enclosure, Win8 64 Pro

Comment

i don't think it is cheaper to use cat5-- as cla1067 posted, mono-price is really cheap for cables-- even a 40foot hdmi is only $25.. a brief search shows that hdmi-to-cat5 converters are $80/pr....
                  My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                  "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                  carpc undecided

Comment

You should be fine with an extension. I have a monoprice right angle adapter on mine, and everything works.

What resolution are you running the 669GL at? I'm having some troubles with mine... I posted about them in another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                      i don't think it is cheaper to use cat5-- as cla1067 posted, mono-price is really cheap for cables-- even a 40foot hdmi is only $25.. a brief search shows that hdmi-to-cat5 converters are $80/pr....
                      I was actually meaning making your own cables out of cat5 and hdmi plugs. The actual HDMI->cat5 extenders usually have boosters in them for running ovre much larger distances.

$25 for a 40ft cable is actually pretty good, in AU we aren't so fortunate. You wouldn't get a 5 metre cable for that here, nevermind 10 metre.
                      2004 HSV Clubsport M6

Comment

Originally posted by patrickoneal View Post
                        You should be fine with an extension. I have a monoprice right angle adapter on mine, and everything works.

What resolution are you running the 669GL at? I'm having some troubles with mine... I posted about them in another thread.
                        I won't get it for a couple more weeks, so won't know until then.

Comment

Today I tried extending the reach of my hdmi/usb cable so I could finish my install, but I had no success. First I tried a 12' HDMI cable from the monitor, to a coupler, to the hdmi/usb cable that came with the monitor. The video was fine, but windows couldn't detect the touch screen. Tried several different usb ports on the back of my computer and also tried with no other usb devices plugged in. Nothing worked.

Then I tried the same with a 6' cable instead. It detected the touch screen, but in the hardware properties there was an error (Unable to start error 10).

Could this be a power issue? I'm guessing the touch screen is powered by USB. Very frustrating since I spent the time to do a clean install of all the other cables and wires, only to end up having a mess because I can't put the computer in back where I planned.

Would a powered USB hub help? Any links to a 12V USB hub?

Rob W.

Comment

The usb is for the touchscreen feature, but the monitor itself gets its power from the hot wire wired to it. Did you try hooking up the monitor to your computer without any extension cable or adapters, just the hdmi to hdmi-usb cable supplied?

Comment

Originally posted by cla1067 View Post
                              The usb is for the touchscreen feature, but the monitor itself gets its power from the hot wire wired to it. Did you try hooking up the monitor to your computer without any extension cable or adapters, just the hdmi to hdmi-usb cable supplied?
                              I understand that the monitor has it's own power. And I assume that the touchscreen part draws power from usb. It all works fine if I just use the hdmi/usb cable, but it's not long enough. If I extend it with a 12' HDMI cable from the monitor to the hdmi/usb cable, it won't see the touchscreen at all, only the video works. If I use a 6' cable, it detects the touchscreen, but has some error in the properties screen about device not starting or something.

I have solved the problem now. I run the hdmi/usb cable from the monitor, then extend the usb and hdmi separately to the computer. It's just too bad that I have to use 2 cables (usb&hdmi) to extend it instead of just hdmi.

Rob W.

Comment

Working...
                              X